Geforce 7950GX2 Quad SLI not worth it?

I'm purchasing two, I don't care what that reviewer says about quad possibly never to be supported (I don't buy that story).

Besides, whats there to lose?

Ockie said:
I'm purchasing two, I don't care what that reviewer says about quad possibly never to be supported (I don't buy that story).

It'll have to be at some point or if they just supply special drivers to system builders, it's only a matter of time before they get leaked and you can do it yourself. The only problem thus far is it runs like crap.

Ockie said:

I actually was told this but i also didn't care until guru3d mentioned it as well. Guru3d is a good site and i think they know what they are doing.

LittleMe said:
It'll have to be at some point or if they just supply special drivers to system builders, it's only a matter of time before they get leaked and you can do it yourself. The only problem thus far is it runs like crap.

Anyway, i wasn't comfortable thinking that i just wasted money on a second xfx geforce 7950gx2. I sold it and got my money back and now i will just wait. No point wasting time testing drivers and hopeing that games will run smoothly one day. Now i have my money for conroe xe.

I don't think I'm going to step up any of my 3 eVGA 7900GTX's but I do have 2 old 6800 Ultra's from CompUSA with their protection plan on it. I don't think they work anymore and I paid 850bucks each for them so I think I can get them replaced with 2 7950GX2's for free. I might do that but I'll watch out until July to step-up my 7900's to see if Quad is really going to work.

I have till the 9th to step up, so I'm cutting this close by 3 days....

so basically I have nothing to lose going to dual 7950gx2's... not going to cost me anything other than the shipping. :D I figure the worst case senario is to trade somone for 1900's and go ATI and get some cash while I'm at it :)

Quad SLI is not officially supported, yet.

That doesn't mean it won't work though in some games, but don't buy Quad SLI thinking it will work in all games, only a very select few work right now.

save your money for the G80, HDR+AA !!

Manoj said:
Just 3 months away from release.

Then I'll get that too. But in the meantime I'm going to enjoy a great time for the next 3 months in playing with my new cards... and fyi, technology rotates every 3-6 months... so you can always expect something new in that timeframe.

Ockie said:
Then I'll get that too. But in the meantime I'm going to enjoy a great time for the next 3 months in playing with my new cards... and fyi, technology rotates every 3-6 months... so you can always expect something new in that timeframe.

The only sad thing this time is that when DirectX10 releases it will be hard to sell our DirectX 9 cards to others before upgrading to DirectX 10.

Unless of course we are willing to take up the loss and carry on.

Manoj said:
The only sad thing this time is that when DirectX10 releases it will be hard to sell our DirectX 9 cards to others before upgrading to DirectX 10.

Unless of course we are willing to take up the loss and carry on.

You will lose some, however a lot of people will still buy it. But in my case, stepping up from the 7900gtx to the 7950gx2, it will give me much more bargaining power in terms of cutting the losses... espcially once quad drivers are out.

Once Quad SLI drivers are released and are stable and really worth it, I will buy a second ard again. Today I felt that it would be better to sell my second card to someone who will benefit from one card too. I rather have my money back so that once Conroe XE ES is available, I will buy it asap.

Manoj said:
Once Quad SLI drivers are released and are stable and really worth it, I will buy a second ard again. Today I felt that it would be better to sell my second card to someone who will benefit from one card too. I rather have my money back so that once Conroe XE ES is available, I will buy it asap.

Conroe XE is on my shopping list too :)

I've got 7800 512 GTX SLI, which is still faster than one GX2, so while I'd pick up a slot for a sound card, I think I'm done with DX9 parts, unless QUAD SLI turns out to be something better than its looking now.

The GX2 is a nice part, don't get me wrong, but without QUAD SLI, why would a current 7800 512 GTX/7900 GTX SLI owners switch? Ultimately there just isn't enough here I think for that crowd without QUAD SLI.

heatlesssun said:
I've got 7800 512 GTX SLI, which is still faster than one GX2, so while I'd pick up a slot for a sound card, I think I'm done with DX9 parts, unless QUAD SLI turns out to be something better than its looking now.

The GX2 is a nice part, don't get me wrong, but without QUAD SLI, why would a current 7800 512 GTX/7900 GTX SLI owners switch? Ultimately there just isn't enough here I think for that crowd without QUAD SLI.

Like I said in my other 100 posts... it wasn't designed to be faster, it was designed to save slots for those without sli boards and it was designed for 30" plus sized monitors runing native resoltions with all options tweaked.

Your 7800 512's will buckle under my monitors... hell my 7900GTX Superclockeds on SLI does too...

The problem with Quad SLi is this: avoiding the need for better cards. The solution is to simply buy more of the same for extra speed, which I think is wrong and a step sideways rather than forward...

Ockie said:
Like I said in my other 100 posts... it wasn't designed to be faster, it was designed to save slots for those without sli boards and it was designed for 30" plus sized monitors runing native resoltions with all options tweaked.

Your 7800 512's will buckle under my monitors... hell my 7900GTX Superclockeds on SLI does too...

I'm not sure what your point is, sure nothing is going to drive a 30" right now, that's what QUAD SLI is for. And if your 7900 GTX SLI solution buckles, then what does GX2 offer if you can do QUAD SLI.

And sure, freeing up a slot is great, but so what if its a step backwards. This part just doesn't hit the mark IMO without QUAD SLI. Otherwise you're tradding of quite a bit of performance to save power and space.

heatlesssun said:

Buying one GX2 card is cheaper than two 7900 GTXs ;)

DoomRulz said:
Buying one GX2 card is cheaper than two 7900 GTXs ;)

Absoultely, if you want to go high-end dual SLI, the XFX XXX edition is about $650 and very near the performance of stock 7900 GTX SLI, for only ~60% of the cost.

The point I was making is that quad SLI would be the reason that most folks who already have end-end SLI setups would go for the GX2.

heatlesssun said:
I'm not sure what your point is, sure nothing is going to drive a 30" right now, that's what QUAD SLI is for. And if your 7900 GTX SLI solution buckles, then what does GX2 offer if you can do QUAD SLI.

And sure, freeing up a slot is great, but so what if its a step backwards. This part just doesn't hit the mark IMO without QUAD SLI. Otherwise you're tradding of quite a bit of performance to save power and space.

Ummm I'm buying two 7950GX2's.... not one.

Ockie said:
Ummm I'm buying two 7950GX2's.... not one.

I bought 2 and sold one (unopened box) to someone yesterday and got my money back 100%.

Now I will wait for newer drivers to see some good performance increase for Quad SLI. For now it is only self thrill that we have Quad SLI but with a single Geforce 7950 GX2 can do the job just as good without us having to worry about things.

By the time Quad SLI gets working properly G80 will release and the whole process starts again.

For now I have my money back for the second card and I am already sourcing a Conroe XE and looking ahead on new products. There are hints on something new from ATI but not sure.

Hope a new Crossfire solution with an internal doggle or something.

Manoj said:
I actually was told this but i also didn't care until guru3d mentioned it as well. Guru3d is a good site and i think they know what they are doing.

i dont.....

guru3D said:
We tried most possible software, yet in almost any case the game reverted back to utilizing one GPU, there was one exception, which was the title F.E.A.R and it was showing a good 20% additional performance at a pretty high resolution of 1920x1200.

THE BIOS/CHIPSET DRIVERS ARNT OUT YET!!!!

Nvidia has stated several times on there website that infact the bios and drivers (Forceware) are not ready yet! as for them "never beeing ready" well if Nvidia Administration was on crack, maybe. they would never put sooooo much work into a project only to abandon it.

they also state that you need sli chipset, only to revert to saying all you need is an Ultra (one pci-e 16X slot) chipset. again not true. yes, you can use a ultra chipset and only buy one 7950GX2. however if you use quad SLI, make sure its SLI X32! 16 lanes each. becuase if it simply splits the lanes into 8 to each slot, thats only 4 per core! thats not cool, it would lead to massive stabillity issues and big performance losses.

MrWizard6600 said:
i dont.....

Nvidia has stated several times on there website that infact the bios and drivers (Forceware) are not ready yet! as for them "never beeing ready" well if Nvidia Administration was on crack, maybe. they would never put sooooo much work into a project only to abandon it.

they also state that you need sli chipset, only to revert to saying all you need is an Ultra (one pci-e 16X slot) chipset. again not true. yes, you can use a ultra chipset and only buy one 7950GX2. however if you use quad SLI, make sure its SLI X32! 16 lanes each. becuase if it simply splits the lanes into 8 to each slot, thats only 4 per core! thats not cool, it would lead to massive stabillity issues and big performance losses.

The BIOS isn't Nvidia's problem, it's the board manufactures. They should have had the support for PCIe switch chips since it's built into the specs. Blame lacking BIOS support on them. As for the drivers, that's Nvidia's problem that they'll hopefully deal with quickly.

MrWizard6600 said:
i dont.....

Ummm the drivers are out for 3rd party computer vendors so they can push their product....

as for your comment on the pcie division... it doesn't work like that, the cards are mated with 16x internal bridge... and they need a 16x bridge via the board. It does not give each card only 8x or 4x... it considers the dual cards as a single card.

Back