Geforce 7800GTX 512 MB to cost $649.

ouch, I might be holding onto my 7800gtx longer than I thought.

Intel_Hydralisk said:
Why do people even bother with the inquirer...

So we can all senslessly speculate about things we know nothing about to pass the time until real information is revealed? ;)

Well, the GTX256 was $599 at launch and can be found for $450-470 now so I expect the GTX512 will drop down to the $549-599 range within a few weeks. After all, this card is supposed to be NVIDIA's answer to the X1800XT 512MB and it's not going to be stealing sales when it costs a hundred bucks more.

I shudder to think what the G80 will go on sale for given the steady rise in MSRP.....

5800U - $399 (March '03)
6800U - $499 (April '04)
7800GTX256 - $599 (June '05)
7800GTX512 - $649 (November '05)
G80 - $699? (June/July '06?)

A hundred bucks a year increase in MSRP since 2003, does this mean we'll see a $1000-MSRP in 2009? :(

coz said:
Well, the GTX256 was $599 at launch and can be found for $450-470 now so I expect the GTX512 will drop down to the $549-599 range within a few weeks. After all, this card is supposed to be NVIDIA's answer to the X1800XT 512MB and it's not going to be stealing sales when it costs a hundred bucks more.

I shudder to think what the G80 will go on sale for given the steady rise in MSRP.....

5800U - $399 (March '03)
6800U - $499 (April '04)
7800GTX256 - $599 (June '05)
7800GTX512 - $649 (November '05)
G80 - $699? (June/July '06?)

A hundred bucks a year increase in MSRP since 2003, does this mean we'll see a $1000-MSRP in 2009? :(

You're looking at it the wrong way. What you should be doing is comparing today's $399 card to the 5800U and $499 card to the 6800U. There has been increased bang for the buck across the board. There are just more price brackets now, and more choice.

I would believe it if it was around $550. I doubt that nVidia would make the 1800XT competitor more expensive. Of course, if the inquirer says so, it must be true.... :rolleyes:

magnuspah said:
I would believe it if it was around $550. I doubt that nVidia would make the 1800XT competitor more expensive. Of course, if the inquirer says so, it must be true.... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't exactly call the rumored 512mb 7800gtx the x1800xt competitor if the specs are true. The current 7800gtx is the x1800xt competitor.

649$ is pretty pricey .. i would expect prices to be more like 699 at launch .. knowing the markup that newegg and monarch do ... so who knows .. i still want them .. but ill wait a and see all the offerings from evga and bfg and leadtek before i decide

Seeing as how the X1800Xt and 7800GTx seem to be very close in performance, it makes sense that the 512MB version of the 7800GTX should cost about $50 more than the X1800XT.

If it outperforms the x1800XT(speculation) by 5%-10% then pricewise it makes total sense.

Ingonuts13 said:
Seeing as how the X1800Xt and 7800GTx seem to be very close in performance, it makes sense that the 512MB version of the 7800GTX should cost about $50 more than the X1800XT.

If it outperforms the x1800XT(speculation) by 5%-10% then pricewise it makes total sense.
Well people will be thinking that since the XT and GTX are so close in performance, that a much faster GTX with 512MB would decimate the XT. The modifications to the GTX are pretty big. Optimizations, extra 256MB, greatly increased clock speeds with OC room.

I'm not saying that this IS what people are thinking or tht this IS what will happen, I'm just saying that this is what nVidia might be thinking to justify the increased pricetag.

tornadotsunamilife said:
What a ridculous price to expect. Is this because of the memory cost or just because of the big speed gap?

Price is always determined by market my friend. Why would you expect Nvidia to release a superior product at lower prices? The only reason I can think of is to put the wood to ATI once and for all this year. Then again if there are any Execs behind that decision, my guess will be they go for $$ first and competition second. So $649 is not an unreasonable selling cost at launch.

I'm not surprised at all the price would be this much. They're releasing this card to take back the performance crown.

They probably don't want to lower the 7800GTX and 7800GT prices. This way no one will expect a price drop.

tornadotsunamilife said:
What a ridculous price to expect. Is this because of the memory cost or just because of the big speed gap?

A little of both. Think of it this way the cooler, the memory are going to cost more then then 256MB GTX and even on the best process in the world yields on a faster chip will always be lower. So for the most part it does need to cost more, then when you add on how much faster it is with faster and more memory and a 25 % core, The sky is the limit without a straitforward competitor.

This will all depend on supply and demand, if the supply is greater then the demand price comes down, but if supply is lower then the demand at this performance level I could see them hitting $900 depending on how bad the supply is.

Ingonuts13 said:
Price is always determined by market my friend. Why would you expect Nvidia to release a superior product at lower prices?

Of course but it doesn't stray from the point that it is a ridiculous price, depending on performance I think prices will need to come down to sell effectively.

tornadotsunamilife said:
Of course but it doesn't stray from the point that it is a ridiculous price, depending on performance I think prices will need to come down to sell effectively.

The high end cards are always sold in way less quanity than maistream or lower end cards, so I am not sure your theory applies in this instance. Idiots like us will pay that much money for the performance :D

I agree with a previous poster's theory that we may actually see the price "increase" if the demand is very high. I surely hope that the latter is not the case, as I am looking to purchase two of these cards sometime after release.

i sure do hope it drops from that price. When i heard $550 originally i was excited, but $650 is just getting over the top...

Intel_Hydralisk said:
Why do people even bother with the inquirer...
It's been hinted at from other sources, too.

Check out the eVGA forums. When the eVGA employees there answer questions on the step-up to the "hypothetical unannounced 512mb G70 product", they are using '$649 minus the price you bought your card for' as the example (of the "hypothetical launch price").

Read a few other forums, too. Basically, anywhere where board makers are posting, they are dropping lots of hints that the price point will be $649 MSRP.

the price will drop.. the gtx had deals for just uner 400 dollars when it was released. You have to be crazy or rich to dish out half a grand on a graphics card.

osirus35 said:
the price will drop.. the gtx had deals for just uner 400 dollars when it was released. You have to be crazy or rich to dish out half a grand on a graphics card.
On the very day it was released, there were only 3 companies who made them. I don't know how many retailers there was, but I could only find them for $599. Of course people still bought them then. I have no doubts that a select few will still dish out $650 for this just to have it soon as crazy a thing as it is.

Many online stores have $699 price tags on x1800xts now, and retail stores are charging 599, add on tax and you are around 640 range

Oh yeah, the evga pdf file shows their 7800gtx 512 at 470/1700

In guru3d.coms 6800gs review, their video card table they have 7800gtx specs at 560/1600

chinesepiratefood said:
Many online stores have $699 price tags on x1800xts now, and retail stores are charging 599, add on tax and you are around 640 range

AFAIK the 7800GTX 512mb has a $649 price tag (which is MSRP), the X1800XT has a MSRP of $549 (I think, something around that range anyway). Whether retailers decide to up or lower prices is a different thing.

The Equalizer said:
http://theinquirer.net/?article=27492
That's a spicy meatball. $1300 in SLI, man that is for the hardcore gamers only.

considering the 7800GTX went for 599$ during its launch and went down in price by 80-100+ $ in few weeks so i am guessing it will be the same for this card. in a month the price of this card should be more like 500 - 550 $

tornadotsunamilife said:
AFAIK the 7800GTX 512mb has a $649 price tag (which is MSRP), the X1800XT has a MSRP of $549 (I think, something around that range anyway). Whether retailers decide to up or lower prices is a different thing.

I know Ati is telling everyone and their grandmother that MSRP for x1800xt 512 is $549,
But Ati has set the MSRP in the distrabution channel at $599. $549 for 256mb version probably. Distributors dont set MSRP, Ati does.
From Techdata.

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/198/techdataxt6gl.jpg

Ah, the games these companies play.

Paper launching a product with a false price is somewhat low in my book, though. What's the term Kyle used, "Canuck lies"?

phide said:
Ah, the games these companies play.

Paper launching a product with a false price is somewhat low in my book, though. What's the term Kyle used, "Canuck lies"?

I prefer Celine Dion lies ;)

Back