• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GeForce 6800GT in a SFF?

berzerker

Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
820
I know this card isn't out yet, but is there any chance that the single-slot BFG GeForce 6800GT would fit and have enough power to run in a SFF setup?

Would a Shuttle with a 250W PS possibly be able to handle it (in an AMD or Intel system with say, one hard drive and a DVD-RW)? Or is there another brand SFF that might have a better chance with the size of the card and power requirements? I'd prefer to avoid an external PS, but I'm open to swapping in an aftermarket internal PS.

If it is possible, would I be able to get away with any GPU and CPU overclocking?
 
BFG said:
This Graphics Card Requires:
1. A minimum 300W system power supply​
I bet it'd fit in a SFF, but I couldn't tell you if it'd work. No current SFF comes with a 300W power supply, either; most is 250.
 
The Aria has a 300w PS in it, though you'll need a mATX mobo for it, unlike the Shuttle boxes. Wether that 300w PS would be consistant enough to handle that card I cannot say. I'm running an AIW 9800 in one right now with a DVD-R a 120gn 7200rpm drive and a Barton 3500+. It also has 3 PCI slot covers so a dual slot card would work if you didn't get carried away with PCI cards.

I am sure there is some way of calculating the poser usage of your components and figuring it out though.
 
Thanks for the input guys. The Aria sounds like it might be a good choice. I'm hoping Nvidia is being overly cautious with their power rating. I guess the best thing to do will be to wait until the card comes out and see if people have any luck with the card on one of these systems with a 250-300W PS.
 
heyheyhey said:
It needs 2 4 pin's to work, doesn't it? That could be a problem...
I think the Ultra is the one that currently has 2 4-pin connectors, not the GT.
 
Don't forget that the 300W suggestion is more to go with the generic style power supplies. The power supplies in the Shuttle actually perform very close to if not better than what they are rated. It may still work. The 200W PSU in my SN41G2 performs better than any 300W I have ever owned.
 
jsu718 said:
Don't forget that the 300W suggestion is more to go with the generic style power supplies. The power supplies in the Shuttle actually perform very close to if not better than what they are rated. It may still work. The 200W PSU in my SN41G2 performs better than any 300W I have ever owned.

Yeah, that's what I've heard, and it's why I was hoping one of those might be enough for this card.
 
It's not just wattage that matters, it's wattage at the right voltage:

I believe that GPUs draw power from the 12V rail.

A typical crappy 300W PSU is 13A at 12V. A good 300W PSU, like an Antec, is 15A. The Shuttle 250W PSU is 16A at 12V; the 200W PSU is 10A at 12V.

Your CPU is probably around 80W, the mobo is around 20W, the HDD is around 20W. CD is around 20W. 60W is a bit slim. I'd get the 250W PSU if I were you.
 
Just installed a GT in my SN45G with 200 watt PSU. So far everything seems to work fine, but I will do more testing tonight.
 
Everything is stable on the 200 watt PSU.

Getting 10546 3dmarks stock on the PNY with stock settings. Card is stable at ultra speeds, but my score only changes by about 200 points due to my 2500+ at 3200+ limiting the card. Get about 9000 with aniso4 and 2xaa, and 7600 with 4xaa or no aa no aniso at 1600x1200.
 
[RCKY] Thor said:
Everything is stable on the 200 watt PSU.

Getting 10546 3dmarks stock on the PNY with stock settings. Card is stable at ultra speeds, but my score only changes by about 200 points due to my 2500+ at 3200+ limiting the card. Get about 9000 with aniso4 and 2xaa, and 7600 with 4xaa or no aa no aniso at 1600x1200.

Very nice. It's good to know that Shuttle's 200W can handle the card too.
 
as you can see from my pic, the 6800 GT fits just fine and my SB75G2's 250W P/S runs like system like a champ. ;)

shuttle3.jpg


my 6800 GT idles at like 59C and peaks out at like 78C when I play UT2004 for a good hour or so.
 
by the way, just in case anyone asks...

my system runs a 2.8C @ 3.4GHz and my 6800 GT is running at 420/1100 with zero problems so its obvious that the 250W unit is more than enough.
 
oooooh I can't wait to get one and play Doom 3 on it. Hopefully in the past year the nvidia HL2 bugs have been worked out and that will play equally fast.
Time to get a second job to save up for quakecon
 
Just received my 250 watt supply in the mail today and slapped it in. Should receive my 6800GT tomorrow. Looks like I'll be golden since quite a few have it running with only the 200 watt supply.

-HM
 
I've got a Shuttle SN85G4 with a 6800 GT, no problems. This particular Shuttle is the only one to come with a 240 watt PSU for some reason, but I've had the card nearly a week now and it's absolutely solid.
 
picked up a BFG Tech 6800GT for my SN85G4. Works great! Damn fast card too ;)

-E
 
Back
Top