GeForce 6800 for (really) old games??

KAN

n00b
Hi, noob here.

Well I'm still playing old games like Jane's USAF, Mig Alley, B-17 the Mighty 8th, and Jane's F/A-18. And yes, I'm still using a Voodoo5 5500. However, I'm rather disappointed for the frame rate when doing 4xFSAA in 1024x768 (especially in USAF).

Since a Voodoo5 6000 has been consistently beyond my grasp, I guess I'm gonna' try GeForce 6800.

The questions are:

(1) Can 6800 run old games well? I hear a lot of myths that new nVidia cards like 6800 or FX is incompatible with old games. Or cannot run them well. Or playing them with lesser image quality. Is that true? But I read on SimHQ 6800 runs Falcon 4.0 with 4XFSAA, 8XAF, in 1600x1200 with about 50fps frame rate!!

(2) Which is the lowest DirectX version still compatible with 6800?

(3) I'm sticking with DirectX 7, but I guess I have to move to DX9 for GeForce 6800. Can older DirectX games (like European Air War) play well on DX9?

(4) How about Windows 98? Since most the games I'm playing are Win98, I think I'm gonna stick with the OS. Can geForce 6800 run well with Windows 98?

Thanks!

Under Windows 98, you should be fine running those games. It all boils own to how well the drivers work with youre games, as the card should have no problems ;)

Unknown-One said:
Under Windows 98, you should be fine running those games. It all boils own to how well the drivers work with youre games, as the card should have no problems ;)

Thanks. How about DirectX version?

I just noticed a thing: I tried European Air War (unmodded version) in my notebook. The video card is ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP. When I activated FSAA on ATI Control Panel, it simply did NOT work! Yes, in 640x480 (the EAW is unmodded) it is clearly visible that there was no FSAA.

I suspect this is because DirectX 9, because when we're running dxdiag, it only test DX8 and DX7 instruction sets, but not DX6 and below. Is that correct?

Can we run GeForce 6800 with DirectX lower than 9?

Thanks,

Well, X-Wing Alliance (don't know DX ver) runs crappy and jerky on my 6800...don't know why.

KAN said:
I just noticed a thing: I tried European Air War (unmodded version) in my notebook. The video card is ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP. When I activated FSAA on ATI Control Panel, it simply did NOT work! Yes, in 640x480 (the EAW is unmodded) it is clearly visible that there was no FSAA.

Did the radeon 7000 even support FSAA? It was a pretty miserable card.

Well, if its any help i run Battle Zone 2 on my 6800 GT on windows XP pro with SP2. I can also run dog fighter, which is a really old DX7 games, i just play them for the fun of it, I also play CS Source, HL2, Doom3, Halo PC, Starwars Battle Front, Star wars republic commando and looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and F.E.A.R.

ameoba said:
Did the radeon 7000 even support FSAA? It was a pretty miserable card.
IIRC, the 7000 IGP has a single pipeline with 3 texturing units. The 7000 supports FSAA, but the driver will disable it if there's not enough video memory. I'm not sure how much shared memory the 7000 IGP supports.

Back