Geforce 680 Wierd Problem

Oscar Meyer

Limp Gawd
So I picked up an unbranded Geforce 680 of of Ebay. Been using it for about a week now. It has worked great at 1228 core 7000mem. Games and benchmarks run flawlessly and max load temp is around 73C.

Last night I installed Microsoft Security essentials and full scanned my computer. Caught a bunch of viruses/malware associated with Java. So i removed them. Now I have this problem where if I leave the keyboard and let the system sit idle for about 5 minutes, my Geforce 680 ramps up to about 75% gpu usage and stays that way indefintely until I move the mouse click a key. Then the system freezes for about 2 minutes and I get Graphics driver failed to respond but has recovered error from the system tray and all goes back to normal.

Its real strange because the geforce goes to 75% usage and flatlines there, as if I was running a game or something. Temps go up, fan goes up, etc.

If i restart my computer, it runs fine until I leave it idle and 5 minutes later it does the same thing. Anyone have a clue what might be the problem? I hope its not a hardware problem and don't think it is because if I restart my computer and then play games for 3 hours it runs fine. But if I stop and leave it idle for 5 minutes it does the ramp up thing and freezes when i resume the click mouse or touch a key. Anyone think its some kind of software conflict associated with removing the virus/malware?

Disconnect LAN cable, restart PC and see if it acts the same.... Possible you didn't quite get all the "nasties" off of your PC....

That's definitely not hardware related, more of virus/malware related.

You have a bitcoin mining virus I would bet. They don't run the bitcoin mining at 100% so it attempts to keep the fan usage and noise down. They also only do it when the computer is idle so you never notice.

Clever, huh?

You have a bitcoin mining virus I would bet. They don't run the bitcoin mining at 100% so it attempts to keep the fan usage and noise down. They also only do it when the computer is idle so you never notice.

Clever, huh?

Yeah that is pretty smart. I'm going to try restoring to an old Acronis backup and see what happens. It seems to be my luck that everytime a virus makes itself apparent is when I try to get rid of them. It's like they know how to take revenge. As long as its not my Geforce 680, I'm alright. Cause this thing has no warranty.

Yeah I would try a clean OS install first before blaming the card with that kind of news. It sounds really unusual.

Restored to earlier backup and the problem went away. Now just need to figure out how to remove the viruses without it going bonkers again. Think brak710 above is right, as I can only think of bitcoin that would tax the GPU at 75% indefinitely.

Back