Geforce 320.49 Drivers

derpentine, I'm using the .49 with a 770 on a new build (so no earlier driver experience to compare to) and have played a few hours of BF3 with no major issues and good performance. A couple times I've had some screen tearing/flickering or strange lighting when first loading a map, but it was always fixed by an alt-tab to the desktop and back to the game.

Temps seem fine at just a few C above ambient at idle and upper 60s at load, which I gather isn't unusual, especially given that my apartment has been near 90F these last few days.

I have had a few instances of the "display driver has crashed and recovered" while just web browsing, and have also had a couple instances of youtube videos freezing. No other effects than that (no system crashes / blue screens). I read somewhere that these issues could be due to desktop applications trying to use hardware acceleration while the GPU is in its low power mode, not sure if that's true.

Edit: One other thing I'll note is that while searching for driver issues while deciding which ones to use, I saw a lot of people complaining about the .18s and a lot of people saying most of those issues were due to conflicts with older drivers, OC utility profiles, etc and that doing a fully clean install would solve the problems. But that's all 2nd hand for me, and since my install of the .49 was by default clean since it was a new build, I can't really comment.

Last edited:
derpentine, I'm using the .49 with a 770 on a new build (so no earlier driver experience to compare to) and have played a few hours of BF3 with no major issues and good performance. A couple times I've had some screen tearing/flickering or strange lighting when first loading a map, but it was always fixed by an alt-tab to the desktop and back to the game.

Temps seem fine at just a few C above ambient at idle and upper 60s at load, which I gather isn't unusual, especially given that my apartment has been near 90F these last few days.

I have had a few instances of the "display driver has crashed and recovered" while just web browsing, and have also had a couple instances of youtube videos freezing. No other effects than that (no system crashes / blue screens). I read somewhere that these issues could be due to desktop applications trying to use hardware acceleration while the GPU is in its low power mode, not sure if that's true.

Edit: One other thing I'll note is that while searching for driver issues while deciding which ones to use, I saw a lot of people complaining about the .18s and a lot of people saying most of those issues were due to conflicts with older drivers, OC utility profiles, etc and that doing a fully clean install would solve the problems. But that's all 2nd hand for me, and since my install of the .49 was by default clean since it was a new build, I can't really comment.

In my case, I had the 320.49s installed in a switch from AMD (replaced HD5450 with GTX 550 Ti - therefore, in no way a clean install), and they were, in fact, utterly painless.
Since then I've moved up to the 326.01 WHQL release, which is as quibble-free as the .49s were.

One other question that must be asked - are you overclocking your GPUs? Mere overclockage (regardless of whatever tool you are using) CAN introduce instability in a GPU driver. Let's be realistic - the VAST majority of driver testing (whether Forceware or Catalyst) is under bone-stock conditions; overclocking (CPU, GPU, etc.) does introduce new variables into the system mix, and is unstable not merely by default, but by design. (And that is simply using hardware/manufacturer included OC tools, such as nVidia Control Panel or CCC's Overdrive - not picking on, or singling out, either AMD or nVidia here.)

Fired up Tomb Raider the other night, been a while since I had a look and wow have they gotten their shit together. Between the driver changes and the patches from the developers I can totally run that game at 60 or there about in surround with everything cranked (TressFX and SSAA excluded of course).

Anyone else have problems getting these drivers installed? I downloaded them and when I run the installer it stops after the second screen flash saying that the driver installation failed and it didn't bother trying to install any of the other stuff. I tried the 320.18 drivers and had the same problem. Ran a driver sweeper program to get rid of all the old AMD stuff with the same results.

I have Win8 Pro 64 bit
Phenom II X4 955
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
4 GB Ram
Samsung SSD
3TB Seagate

Just read a few posts above about the Win8.1 preview so might dl that and see what happens.

Anyone else have problems getting these drivers installed? I downloaded them and when I run the installer it stops after the second screen flash saying that the driver installation failed and it didn't bother trying to install any of the other stuff. I tried the 320.18 drivers and had the same problem. Ran a driver sweeper program to get rid of all the old AMD stuff with the same results.

I have Win8 Pro 64 bit
Phenom II X4 955
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
4 GB Ram
Samsung SSD
3TB Seagate

Just read a few posts above about the Win8.1 preview so might dl that and see what happens.

Hmm maybe some additional service giving you grief? Try starting the machine up without any third party services running (just disable them in msconfig). Also have a quick poke around in the registry see if there's any existing Nvidia stuff in there or still remaining AMD/ATI bits and pieces (driver sweeper doesn't always get everything).

Just installed Win8.1 preview and it came with the 325.71 drivers already installed and good to go.

Woke up this morning to find my left-most monitor (the one connected via DisplayPort) flickering every few seconds.

Tried power-cycling the monitor and unplugging/reconnecting the DisplayPort cable, didn't help. Had to reboot the computer to fix it.

How do I prevent this from happening again? :confused:

Wait.

There are SLI motherboards for AMD? I thought that was not the case in the last 5-7 years?

Yes, there have been licensing agreements between Intel/AMD/Nvidia for the last few years since NVidia got out of the chipset business. There were some stuff that each wanted from the other and in the end, the consumer won out.

Hmm might try them later, but the last lot of 326 drivers didn't do wonders for my setup.

Feedback on these drivers on various forums looks better then with the previous R320 to R326 builds. Looks like they fixed a lot of bugs. :)

326.41 still exhibits instability, especially in Windows Explorer. I wouldn't say it's vastly better than 320.49.

Back