• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Geforce 2 GTS vs Geforce 2mx 400

desrin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 19, 2002
Messages
1,599
I have

Geforce 2 GTS 32mb

and

Geforce 2 mx 400 64mb

Which one is better?
 
I thought the GTS was actually a better version than the regular GF2 cards. The MX stuff is slowest version you can get for GF2/4 cards.
 
GF2 GTS but dont expect to play much more than Counter-Strike 1.6 or World of Warcraft ;)
 
I can never go back to 1.6 now that Source is here.
Sigh 1.6 was good though.
And all those cool maps.....
Maybe I will go back to 1.6!
I never knew much about the Geforce 2s I find it odd that the 64mb is slower than the 32mb card. Whats killing the 64mb card?
Someone refresh me here! :cool:
 
{NG}Fidel said:
I can never go back to 1.6 now that Source is here.
Sigh 1.6 was good though.
And all those cool maps.....
Maybe I will go back to 1.6!
I never knew much about the Geforce 2s I find it odd that the 64mb is slower than the 32mb card. Whats killing the 64mb card?
Someone refresh me here! :cool:
Memory isn't the deciding factor for videocards.

Like a 256mb 9250Pro has more memory than my 9800Pro...but the 9250 is slower than dog shit rolling down a hill.
 
GTS is the highest end GeForce 2 card ... like comparing a 6800 Ultra to a MX4000
 
SonicTron said:
GF2 GTS but dont expect to play much more than Counter-Strike 1.6 or World of Warcraft ;)

QFT... but no the GTS isn't the highest end, the GF2ti is the highest end.

~Adam
 
The Geforce 2 MX series is a 2x2 pixel / texture pipeline configuration, the Geforce 2 GTS and above are 4x2. The MX400 and the standard GTS have the same core and memory clocks (200 / 166 MHz core / ram), but the GTS uses DDR whereas the MX uses SDRAM. So consider the GTS as exactly double the MX400. :)
 
GTS is mid-end... MX is low-end, and then there were Pro, Ultra and Ti above the GTS.
Mind you, the GTS is still plenty fast. You can probably get away with playing HL2 on it, perhaps even at 1024x768, provided you have a fast CPU (faster than for more modern cards, because things like skinning have to be done on the CPU too).
I've used a GF2GTS 32 mb for a few years, was my previous card. Mine overclocked to 240/400, which is nearly Pro speeds (I think that was 250/400, and Ultra 250/500, or something like that... GTS was 200/333 stock). And then the card really moves ;)
 
Just remember that the GF2 GTS, GTS Pro, Ti/Ultra cards all used 3.3v AGP and that isn't found on any modern day motherboard, so keep that in mind before you put it in your system. All modern day boards are 1.5v My GF2 GTS & GTS Pro both used 3.3v and simply wont work on current boards avail.
 
Killdozer said:
Memory isn't the deciding factor for videocards.

Like a 256mb 9250Pro has more memory than my 9800Pro...but the 9250 is slower than dog shit rolling down a hill.
depends on how hard the dog shit is and how steep the hill LOL
 
the ultra was the highest end, higher than teh Ti. i have one :)

250/460 stock i believe - ive had the core to 270 and the memory to 500, but i didnt test the limits
 
ok,
its more chronological than model #
geforce built before geforce 2, then GTS, then GTS pro (dont remember this one), then Ti, then Ultra. This was before the real creation of series of cards (like the present 6xxx series)
the GTS will out perform a MX upto the mx4000 - use it instead - fair warning tho - the gts may not be compatible with some 8x agp ports...
 
Memory isn't the deciding factor for videocards.

Exactly I know about Memory Bus Bandwidth limts and all that jazz.
I just wanted to know the specifics about these two cards and why in this case the card with lesser memory was faster.
I am not totally suprised since it happend with cards from the last gen and current gen as well.
 
I have gf2 pro 64mb ..It's much like the GTS... Cool old card still running on my old p3 500 MHz PC :p
 
Mtnduey said:
Just remember that the GF2 GTS, GTS Pro, Ti/Ultra cards all used 3.3v AGP and that isn't found on any modern day motherboard, so keep that in mind before you put it in your system. All modern day boards are 1.5v My GF2 GTS & GTS Pro both used 3.3v and simply wont work on current boards avail.

As far as I know, the GF2s support both AGP2x (3.3v) and AGP4x (1.5v).
This site lists GF2 among the 1.5v cards aswell: http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html
I'd have to find my manual to make sure... but I know mine ran at AGP4x in my PC anyway... so it would probably have been running at 1.5v.
It should run in any board I guess, since as far as I know, all AGP8x (0.8v) boards also support at least AGP4x still.
 
One possibililty is that for budget reasons, higher-density RAM was clocked at lower speeds. In fact, this is the most likely. I know this is exactly what happened with the GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB vs 128MB, where the 64MB had RAM clocked at 250/500MHz while the 128MB was 222/444MHz.
 
I have a few GTS's that I use in my Counter Strike rigs for friends when they come over for LANs. If you have a decent enough processor, 1.8 and up they work great at 100fps at 1024x768.
 
I have a MSI GF2 GTS Pro, 64mb running in an Abit BE6 with a P3650 W2K etc.
Default clocks are 200/400. Came with MSI's own overclocking software. Have had it up to 225/435, wont go no more.
Paid $190 for it back in the day, still runs great.
The GF2 GTS is much better than the MX
Bloefield
 
ya i have it in a

AMD Duron 1.3
768mb Ram

Its suprising how well this works actually :p

Just trying to find older games now
 
desrin said:
ya i have it in a

AMD Duron 1.3
768mb Ram

Its suprising how well this works actually :p

Just trying to find older games now

Get the origional Unreal Tournament and RTCW. They're old enough that they run on my 1.2 Celeron w/ ATi 9100 PCI. And that's perfectly playable @ 1024x768 w/ medium detail settings, not even lowered at all.
 
Back
Top