Geforce 2 GTS Pro - FPS

SwiftyMc

n00b
hi i was wondering in quake3 i get an average of about 150fps at 800x600 32bit color..full graphics settings....on my 1.7 seen blow.. my friend has a 1.3ghz amd system ,same graphics card but he gets about 50fps more than me. i mean it is to big deal 150fps is fine. i was just wondering what would cause that?

That is way too high for that card man, my brother get around 50 fps with a geforce2 gts, on an xp 2800+ and 512 mb pc 3200 memory....

Originally posted by aces170
That is way too high for that card man, my brother get around 50 fps with a geforce2 gts, on an xp 2800+ and 512 mb pc 3200 memory....

They may be running with the lowest detail setting's.

SwiftyMc, I assume that your P4 1.7Ghz is an P4 willamette ( the one before northwood ), These CPU's weren't that great when compared to an Athlon or a P3 that were quite a lot slower in speed ( which is were megahurtz came from ) so that may be the problem.

Is the AMD system an Athlon or a Duron?
Whats the rest of his system specs compared to yours?
The early p4 platforms were not that great ..
is yours sdram or ?
Your chip is the older type of P4 as well (not northwood).
There are many settings in the quake config file which can change the way the game plays.
I was playing with a Geforce 2 GTS just the other day and on my primary system listed in my sig, it ran Quake3 at 150+ FPS with all detail turned up at 1024x768.
It was very smooth and looked great.

man i just typed a huge reply and i accidentally press backed and it deleted it all...err...anyways..hmm...
i dont know maybe its just me...im obsessed with having a high fps rate on my games.. yea my p4 is the older one sadly.
ok here it goes again...

My Personal system listed gets 150fps average at 800x600 with everything at its highest setting.

Friends computer gets 200fps average at 800x600 with everything at its highest setting.

Friend system specs are:

1.3ghz Amd Athlon T-Bird (266fsb)
256mb elixer pc2100
40gb western digital 7200 rpm ata 100
64mb geforce2 gts pro
shuttle ak32a motherboard

*he isnt using my spare he has practically same stuff in it as i do

there we go..i was wondering why it is like that.

athlong 1.3 > p4 1.7

EDIT: and you still didnt list your system specks...

my system specs are
1.7ghz P4 at 29c/84f <temp
shuttle av49vn
256mb samsung pc2100 2x128 sticks
40gb western digital 7200 rpm ata 100
64mb ati radeon 8500 non-pro agp

his cpu temp is 45c/113f
if that helps any...

Originally posted by Marvelous
quake 3 also runs way better on intel systems. Let's not forget.

That doesn't hold true for the P4 willamette.

SwiftyMc, The card that you are using to compare is it a Geforce 2 GTS or the radeon 8500 you list in your specs?

If it's the 8500 the reason could be that the 8500 may not be as well optimized in it's drivers for Q3 ( i believe that Q3 has NV specific code paths ) but you should be able to rise the resolution and still achieve a higher FPS then your mate at the same resolution ( try something like 1280 x 1024 ).

EDIT : By the way CPU temps don't mean much on an Athlon T-bird since it doesn't have a temperature probe built in ( the MB is probably reading a sensor in the CPU socket ) all for i believe that all P4's have a probe built in.

Back