Geforce 1070 Mini any good?

Cally

Limp Gawd
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards GV-N1070IXOC-8GD

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...ag=georiot-pcg-20&ascsubtag=hawk-884312539-20

I am looking for a Nvidia 1070 card and saw this one. It is a mini version of the full length card. Does anyone know it is as good as the regular card? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the card being this small?

If it offers the same performance as the larger card and the temps run about the same I can see myself buying this card.
I was hoping someone might have bought one of these or knows about them that could offer some advice about it?

I should say this card would be going into a 6700K,16GB, system with a Dell S2716DG 2560 x 1440 G-Sync monitor.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It offers the same performance, there's just more limited overclock range. Also, the cooler is louder under load than any other custom cooler 1070 on the market, but that comes with the territory.

But on the flip side, the cooler is completely silent at idle, so won't be noisy most of the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is specifically designed for tiny cases, if you have the room go larger.

Meant for small cases. Limited cooling.

Still really cool that they can pack this much power into a small package.

I don't think there will be any disadvantages, actually. IMO most mini cards have binned chips that are lower power, so most likely you'll be able to get a decent clock for lower voltage. And since most Pascal cards max out around 2100MHz, there's not much headroom in the first place anyway.

The flip side to it is that you'll need to be extra diligent in overclocking. You can't just set an offset and forget. You have to tinker and find the best voltage/clock/temperature/fan speed combination, and that can take a while. A few days, if not a few weeks.

EDIT: Also they're likely to be power limited as well. More reason to specify a voltage instead of an offset.

I notice it has two dvi and 1 hdmi + display port, full sized ones will have 3 display port and 1 hdmi + dvi.

I don't think there will be any disadvantages, actually. IMO most mini cards have binned chips that are lower power, so most likely you'll be able to get a decent clock for lower voltage. And since most Pascal cards max out around 2100MHz, there's not much headroom in the first place anyway.

The flip side to it is that you'll need to be extra diligent in overclocking. You can't just set an offset and forget. You have to tinker and find the best voltage/clock/temperature/fan speed combination, and that can take a while. A few days, if not a few weeks.

EDIT: Also they're likely to be power limited as well. More reason to specify a voltage instead of an offset.

That card is loud, there's the disadvantage.

the price of the mini seems to be the same as the normal sized 1070 so why not just go with the standard one (unless you have a small case)

That card is loud, there's the disadvantage.

That's true, but how much noise will you be able to hear over existing fans. In my case (ha ha) I can't hear CPU or GPU fan even at max speed over my not-so-quiet case fans.

It's hard to justify spending money on decent fans when you can spend that money on better components. But I digress.

The price per performance of the GTX 1070 is about 40% better than the GTX 1080. It's truly a waste. You need to carefully evaluate whether it's worth the expense. (It's interesting to see how the king of the hill are the RX 460, 470, 480, GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1060 3GB. You could throw in some yesteryear cards as well like the GTX 950, 270 / 370 and then that's it, nothing comes close to price/performance to these. Basically anything above $200 will give you diminishing returns compared to the price premium.)

Last edited:
The mini caught my eye because of its size. I wondered how they could pack the same specs into the mini as they did the regular huge cards. I thought something had to be handicapped. My case is large enough to handle the normal cards. I thought that the mini would allow for more air flow from the case fans. Louder fan noise would be unwanted but only if it were a screamer, a slight bit of noise wouldn't bother me. The money factor being the same makes me think for a personal choice I would just go for the normal size. Which leads me to the question if they can pack a full sized card into this small form why are video cards getting so large?
I wasn't planning on any high overclocks, the 1070 card will do whatever I need stock. After reading these posts I'll continue to wait for a better price on the 1070 regular card. I appreciate the advice.

Grab the Gigabyte one if you're worried
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available. This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit www.evga.com/thermalmod.

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.

All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.

Back