Geeky Word of the Year Chosen

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In a meeting of the Linguistic Society of America on Friday, (read Geeks and Nerds) the word of the year was voted on by its members. The runners-up were nom and WikiLeaks. Pittsburgh must be so proud :D

On Friday, voters chose to nix political terms altogether, including "Obamacare" and "mama grizzly" — yes, yet another Palinism, referring to conservative women who are protective of their families.

App? When they were on PCs, they were called "Programs". Now suddenly since it's on a mobile device, it's called an "App"?

App? When they were on PCs, they were called "Programs". Now suddenly since it's on a mobile device, it's called an "App"?

That's bothered me SO SO MUCH. I know the term "Killer App" has been around for a while, but other than that, people didn't start saying it in earnest until mobile app stores. It's now infected everything, though...I've heard Photoshop on a full-blown PC called an "app"**.

**No, I'm not kidding. I wish I was.

I can't believe that word was chosen as the word for the year. Surely there was something better. But really, did they have to have a whole conference to have a select few vote on this? Things like this should be voted on on the Internet.

I can't believe that word was chosen as the word for the year. Surely there was something better. But really, did they have to have a whole conference to have a select few vote on this? Things like this should be voted on on the Internet.

You ever see what /b/ can do to a poll on the internet?

+1

I always think of an app as a one trick pony type of widget.

WikiLeaks was up in the running? Why? Because it's the name of a website not some slang "tech" term that's used.

Did phones really need their own term to describe their programs? It all looks the same in Eclipse to me, I must be missing something important.

I gave the fat finger to that app-sauce after the nom of my junk by the vuvuzela. WTF!

"app" has been around for way too long for it to be a word of the year.. but given the other lame choices, I can see why it was chosen.

Anybody want to join me in downloading some appz?

How many apps do you own?

IMO, "applet" already means the same thing:
Some applets are able to function as any other normal software application (provided they are hosted by an operating system), but are small in size and perform only a small set of tasks. Examples of applications often classified as applets are all of the accessories bundled in Microsoft Windows (such as Windows Notepad or Microsoft Paint). Applets are not full-featured application programs.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applet

Am I the only one annoyed that the post itself makes zero mention of the word that was voted number one...yet actually lists what the runner-ups were?

no youre not, thought i was the only one to catch that

Back