Geeks.com free shipping over $99 offer and excessive overpackaging

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm posting here instead of in [H]otDeals because the offer is dead now, and because I'm mostly lolling about how badly they shafted themselves by not voiding my purchase.

Last weekend I went to geeks.com to get a cheap laptop HD ($30ish vs $50ish anywhere else); they had a free shipping over $99 promotion going on and since they wanted almost $10 to ship the drive I started looking around to see if they had anything else of value. I found a few odds and ends, but most of what they carry is no-name hardware and closeouts so I wasn't close to what I needed. I was about to give up when I discovered that they had canned air at $6/2 cans; vs $13.50/2 cans at my local boxmart. Canned air keeps well and I can stash it on top of a bookcase out of the way so i said why not and larded my order with 16 cans.

They were delivered today. The box with my HD and misc was unremarkable; but my air came in a massive 24x20x19 box full of multiple layers of packaging. Each twopack of cans were wrapped in bubblewrap, put in a small box with airbags, then all 8 small boxes where put into the big box and more airbags were added on top. It's not the most outrageous overpackaging I've ever seen mocked online, but it's the worst I ever received by a large degree.

Non free shipping for that much air is $30, and since I was only charged $48 for the cans themselves I suspect they took a fairly large loss on my order.

IMG_0927.JPG

I'm posting here instead of in [H]otDeals because the offer is dead now, and because I'm mostly lolling about how badly they shafted themselves by not voiding my purchase.

Last weekend I went to geeks.com to get a cheap laptop HD ($30ish vs $50ish anywhere else); they had a free shipping over $99 promotion going on and since they wanted almost $10 to ship the drive I started looking around to see if they had anything else of value. I found a few odds and ends, but most of what they carry is no-name hardware and closeouts so I wasn't close to what I needed. I was about to give up when I discovered that they had canned air at $6/2 cans; vs $13.50/2 cans at my local boxmart. Canned air keeps well and I can stash it on top of a bookcase out of the way so i said why not and larded my order with 16 cans.

They were delivered today. The box with my HD and misc was unremarkable; but my air came in a massive 24x20x19 box full of multiple layers of packaging. Each twopack of cans were wrapped in bubblewrap, put in a small box with airbags, then all 8 small boxes where put into the big box and more airbags were added on top. It's not the most outrageous overpackaging I've ever seen mocked online, but it's the worst I ever received by a large degree.

Non free shipping for that much air is $30, and since I was only charged $48 for the cans themselves I suspect they took a fairly large loss on my order.

IMG_0927.JPG

That is probably really light... and you paid $70 on canned air... I don't know if they made any loss...

If however lets say you order two 160GB hard drives for $20 and a 500GB for $30 (great prices to being with), and then throw on a $30 case with a power supply unit and pay no shipping, I think that is where they take a hit.

I'm not sure how much of a volume discount geeks.com gets, but using fedex's online calculator the weight (21.4 lbs) the size (24x20x19) and the trip CA to PA, if I took it to a droppoff location it'd cost $55 to ship; so the $30 their website is quoting is probably pretty close to actual cost.

I go through 4 or 6 cans of air a year blowing stuff out, so I more or less bought 3 years for the price of one. The rest of my order included a USB print server I'd been meaning to get for a while, and a few oddball size fans whose combined cost is probably less than that of the one+shipping would be when I end up needing it sometime in the future.

PS Not everything was covered by the free shipping offer. I suspect that the case wouldn't have been anymore than cheap cases are free shipping on amazon.

Back