• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Geek + free time + old hardware = ....

Yippee38

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 21, 2000
Messages
3,378
I'm trying to get rid of some old hardware that I've had laying around for a while. I've had a stack of old IDE hard drives that I've kept because I've wanted to tear them apart for their rare earth magnets. Today, I finally got around to it. Here's the results:
Drives.jpg

Those were, from top left to bottom right:
Maxtor 4Gb, IBM Desktar 40Gb (x2), WD 40Gb, Fujitsu/IBM 10Gb?, Maxtor 4Gb
Fujitsu/IBM 10Gb, Quantum Fireball ?Gb, WD 40Gb, Seagate 80Gb, WD Caviar 6Gb, Hitachi Travelstar 40Gb.

Here's what I got out of it:
Magnets.jpg
 
Last edited:
Do those magnets have $$$ value as scrap?

Don't know and don't care. I keep them around for whatever. One thing that they're great for is taping them, with aluminum tape, onto the side of my car's oil filter. Any tiny particles of metal that get through the filter will hopefully stick to the side where the magnet is. Change the oil, and just move the magnet onto the new filter.
 
tape not needed, I use them for that (among many other things) and they never fall off
 
Back
Top