"Gecko2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network...."

geckoman

Limp Gawd
I've got the following set up in front of me:

Cable modem going to>
SMC 7004VWBR Wireless Router

Desktop PC hooked to Router via ethernet cable
Laptop1 connected to Router via ethernet cable
Laptop2 connected to Router via 802.11b

All 3 can connect to internet fine.

I've got my network named "Gecko2". Each computer has a unique name. All 3 are running XP SP2.

I can transfer shared files between Laptop1 and Laptop2 fine
When I go to "My Network Places>view workgroup computers" on either laptop, it shows the two laptops and the desktop.

However, when I click the icon for the desktop from either laptop, I get "\\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

When I go to "My Network Places>view workgroup computers" on the desktop, I get the following pop-up "Gecko2 is not accessible. You do not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I've made sure file and printer sharing are turned on with all 3 computers. I've turned off the Windows Firewall on all 3 computers.

I've got the Desktop plugged into the "LAN1" port on the Router and the Laptop plugged into "LAN2" on the router..

Any suggestions?

sounds like simple file sharing is turned on on the desktop

open a folder, then goto tools on the menu, select folder options, click the view tab, scroll down to the bottom, and you should see that simple filesharing is checked. Uncheck it and that should resolve your issue

OK, it was checked.. I just unchecked it and still having same problem.. do I need to reboot?

are they pro or home boxes?

often you will have to create the same username/password on all machines you want to roam through.

Phaedrus said:
You dont have accounts/permissions set up properly or else a firewall is blocking. Here is a good troubleshooting link.

Thanks... good link.. I've been going through it, but the "browstat" command isn't recognized on my machine in the command prompt.... any ideas?

As in one of the previous posts, you must create a user account on each box for the other boxes that will access. Then at the shares you should make sure the permissions on the sharing and security tabs include the user accounts for the accessing computers. Also make sure the actual read/write permissions are set to your liking. If you have simple file sharing turned on you wont see the security tab.

So: lets say you have a folder on compA shared. On compA set up a user account for compB using the same username and password you actually use on compB(control panel/user accounts). On the share right click and choose properties. Choose the sharing tab and add the user account you just made for compB. If there is a security tab also add the account here. Now compB should have access to the share, and the share will show up on compB's browser.

Now, with simple file sharing this merely sets the share to allow everyone. I prefer to shut off simple file sharing, but you cant do that with XP home. If both your boxes are Pro I would make the user accounts and shut off simple file sharing(folder options/view/advaced settings:last setting).

Lastly make sure there are no firewalls blocking. I don't turn firewallls off, they all have settings to allow network browsing.

Phaedrus said:
As in one of the previous posts, you must create a user account on each box for the other boxes that will access. Then at the shares you should make sure the permissions on the sharing and security tabs include the user accounts for the accessing computers. Also make sure the actual read/write permissions are set to your liking. If you have simple file sharing turned on you wont see the security tab.

So: lets say you have a folder on compA shared. On compA set up a user account for compB using the same username and password you actually use on compB(control panel/user accounts). On the share right click and choose properties. Choose the sharing tab and add the user account you just made for compB. If there is a security tab also add the account here. Now compB should have access to the share, and the share will show up on compB's browser.

Now, with simple file sharing this merely sets the share to allow everyone. I prefer to shut off simple file sharing, but you cant do that with XP home. If both your boxes are Pro I would make the user accounts and shut off simple file sharing(folder options/view/advaced settings:last setting).

Lastly make sure there are no firewalls blocking. I don't turn firewallls off, they all have settings to allow network browsing.

I don't have a password on any of my user accounts on any of the machines. But on the PC (which is the computer having the problem), I added a 'guest' account, then went back to the main account and set up a "test share" folder with a simple .txt document in it. I set that up to share with the entire network. Then I switched user accounts and went back to the 'guest' account.. couldn't see the shared folder.

So.. still no luck.. anyone else? I thought we had a bunch of networking gurus here :)

can you access it by UNC? computername//sharename? If you are getting the permissions/acess denied error mssg then probly networking is set up fine, permissions arent set properly on the share. Failure for a share to show up in network nieghborhood doesnt mean it isnt accessible. Try the UNC.

I know that a win98 box will not network with xp unless there is a password for the win98 user account. Im not sure about XP though, but I do know best practice is to have a password on user accounts, and since I have no boxes without passwords I cant test wether lack of password is preventing you.

Phaedrus said:
can you access it by UNC? computername//sharename? If you are getting the permissions/acess denied error mssg then probly networking is set up fine, permissions arent set properly on the share. Failure for a share to show up in network nieghborhood doesnt mean it isnt accessible. Try the UNC.

I know that a win98 box will not network with xp unless there is a password for the win98 user account. Im not sure about XP though, but I do know best practice is to have a password on user accounts, and since I have no boxes without passwords I cant test wether lack of password is preventing you.

Sorry, but was is UNC?

OK... I found out what "UNC" was.. duh.
Computers named as follows:
Desktop PC - "DESK"
Dell Laptop - "Laptop2"
HP Laptop - "Laptop1"
Network name - "Gecko2"

From the PC (which is the machine experiencing the problem):
when I go to "Run" and type "\\DESK" , It pops up a window showing the folders/directories that I have designated to share.

From the PC, when I go to "Run" and type "\\Laptop2" and hit enter, I get "\\laptop2 The network path was not found"

From the PC, when I go to "Run" and type "\\Laptop1" and hit enter, I get "\\laptop1 The network path was not found"

From the Dell Laptop, I go to "Run" and type "\\Laptop2" and hit enter, I get the window showing the directories/files I have designated to share.

From the Dell Laptop, I go to "Run" and type "\\DESK", I get "\\desk The Network path was not found"

From the Dell Laptop, I go to "Run" and type "\\Laptop1" and hit enter, I get the window showing the directories/files I have designated to share on the HP lappy.

Same thing with the HP laptop.. I can access Laptop1 and Laptop 2, but not the Desktop machine.

Please, please please help me.

If necessary, I will offer monetary bribes!!!

did you try \\192.168..... instead of \\desk ???

double and tripple check the permissions on the shared folder on your DESK system, ensure both the sharing & security tabs have "everyone" Listed with full read/write permissions

start with basics, from each machine try to ping the other two by NAME and by IP! post the results

from each machine try accessing the others by \\NAME and by \\IP

EaTeR said:
did you try \\192.168..... instead of \\desk ???

double and tripple check the permissions on the shared folder on your DESK system, ensure both the sharing & security tabs have "everyone" Listed with full read/write permissions
Done (again).. I'm using a test folder on my desktop on the DESK machine.. I went to Sharing and Security, clicked "share this folder on the network" and clicked the "allow network users to change my files" .. doesn't show up when I go to "my network places" on the DESK machine
start with basics, from each machine try to ping the other two by NAME and by IP! post the results
OK, I can ping each machine from each machine successfully. 4 packets set, 4 recieved each time, 0% loss

from each machine try accessing the others by \\NAME and by \\IP

When I do this, I can access each laptop from the other laptop. When I try to access the desktop, I get "\\desk the network path was not found"

I get the same type of error when I use the DESK machine's respective IP

The thing I find easiest for home machines is to leave Simple File Sharing on and just share shit out left and right. Never been a problem here with any machines on my network at any time.

Double check for firewall software. Norton Antivirus will even prevent this from working as they have their own "Worm Protection" service that acts as a firewall with file sharing.

If you do not have Norton, please post all secuirty softwares you currently have installed.

Is anyone familiar with the Browstat utility?

I did "browstat status" on the desktop PC and got this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark>c:\browstat status

Status for domain GECKO2 on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{280A9052-D281-4F5D-BB
80-9A55702BDE23}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master browser name is held by: DESK
Master browser is running build 2600

Back