Gears of War no longer works...for anybody

People still play this piece of crap port?

/Facepalm

Anyways, i have the game installed and noticed this problem yesterday, hope they get it fixed soon, gonna get a few copies for some friends to play coop with.

I have the game, its okay but I never played it much. Hopefully they get this fixed this week. This is embarassig.

It's not that bad. It does have some crashing issues but the game itself runs well.

People keep saying that, but I'm not willing to give it another chance. Gears had its chance at launch. I bought it right when it came out and I didn't have a good experience.

While not without problems, I thought Gears was a semi-good time in an "arcadey" kind of way. Tried installing it yesterday to try on my new 22" only to be greeted by an error message. Bleh. Get it together Epic and don't forget the audience that made you what you are today...

well I obviously didnt see it. ;)
np.

and I dont see how it is taking this long just to patch. Just release the same damn .exe with the year date set to 9999. there problem solved. lazy bastards.

I am a big fan of GoW and I really like the game, I play it regularly. It could be alot better on the PC but I think its definitely fine as it stands. It is one of the most satisfying games for me when I start owning. Getting a no scope with the long shot, and watching the enemies head explode and blood squirt everywhere as his body still stands is so bad ass to me. I only wish GoW2 came to PC. Lots of people have different views on the game. I bet a majority of people on here think the story sucks or cry about the colors and minor bugs. But I liked it a lot b/c it was different, a gore fest, and ran very smoothly.

Oh well. continue on with the hate/other stuff

I lol'd so hard.

That's - erm - interesting. I'm just surprised that somebody noticed given how bad the GoW PC port is and the number of better shooters on the platform.

Don't worry, Epic has said GOW2 won't go to PC. I think they said the same of GOW1 - but they also whined about how GOW1 was pirated.

Don't get me wrong - Gears 2 is fun...but Gears 1 on PC didn't interest me much (and I did buy it. Regrettably.)

np.

and I dont see how it is taking this long just to patch. Just release the same damn .exe with the year date set to 9999. there problem solved. lazy bastards.

I am a big fan of GoW and I really like the game, I play it regularly. It could be alot better on the PC but I think its definitely fine as it stands. It is one of the most satisfying games for me when I start owning. Getting a no scope with the long shot, and watching the enemies head explode and blood squirt everywhere as his body still stands is so bad ass to me. I only wish GoW2 came to PC. Lots of people have different views on the game. I bet a majority of people on here think the story sucks or cry about the colors and minor bugs. But I liked it a lot b/c it was different, a gore fest, and ran very smoothly.

Oh well. continue on with the hate/other stuff

Like it alot as well. Not everyone will. Love the art direction. The guns and enemies look spectacular. Love the cover based combat system. The active reload, blind firing, curb stomping, and chainsawing. Play it on the highest difficulty. Its awesome. Very challenging. Wish the sequel was coming to PC as well. Horde mode kicks ass.

the game always works for pirates never for the actual paying customers.
game companies once the get your money they don't care about it anymore.

People still play this piece of crap port?

I had a shitty experience as well. The fucking thing would stutter, crash, stutter, glitch, bug, stutter, crash.

It remains the only game that I couldn't get to work on my system properly, and I have pc games stacked to my ceiling.

However, I haven't given new patches a shot, just the ones that were out a month after release.

the game always works for pirates never for the actual paying customers.
game companies once the get your money they don't care about it anymore.

Another reason I argue that PC gaming is, at least in a lull, if not on the way out. Before you rip me apart, I love PC gaming. I was a die hard - to hell with consoles - PC gamer until recently; stuff like Bioshock's install limit started to distance me, as well as the crap known as punkbuster. I've found the xbox really does fill most of my needs while avoiding this crap.

I think game devs should move away from this horrid DRM model and start to use Steam right...but...well, we're talking about EA here. :-/

Another reason I argue that PC gaming is, at least in a lull, if not on the way out. Before you rip me apart, I love PC gaming. I was a die hard - to hell with consoles - PC gamer until recently; stuff like Bioshock's install limit started to distance me, as well as the crap known as punkbuster. I've found the xbox really does fill most of my needs while avoiding this crap.

I think game devs should move away from this horrid DRM model and start to use Steam right...but...well, we're talking about EA here. :-/

Where does EA, Punkbuster, and SecuRom fit into a topic about Gears of War not working? None of them having anything to do with the situation. And no PC gaming isn't on its way out. More console only devs are making PC games. They wouldn't do that if they thought the platform was dying. Its evolving. Don't let NPD's retarded sales chats fool you.

Epic has turned out to be such a shitty company. I always suspected they'd sell out to the man (which they did) but man they are just tanking. Epic tanking.

John Carmack cares about his fans, that's for sure. And ID does as well.

Epic has turned out to be such a shitty company. I always suspected they'd sell out to the man (which they did) but man they are just taking. Epic tanking.

yep when Vista came out ID even released a small patch for Doom 3 to make it sure it worked flawlessly.

Where does EA, Punkbuster, and SecuRom fit into a topic about Gears of War not working? None of them having anything to do with the situation. And no PC gaming isn't on its way out. More console only devs are making PC games. They wouldn't do that if they thought the platform was dying. Its evolving. Don't let NPD's retarded sales chats fool you.

Console ports are mostly what you see these days; games release have shitty DRM like GOW1 (which is how I got on the DRM sidetrack.)

A good console game gets 1 million copies sold in a week...a good PC game gets less than half of that.

Console ports are mostly what you see these days; games release have shitty DRM like GOW1 (which is how I got on the DRM sidetrack.)

A good console game gets 1 million copies sold in a week...a good PC game gets less than half of that.

There is nothing wrong with console ports as long as they're not terribly ported. Asinine DRM schemes like limited installs are annoying, but there are so few games that use it that its not a big problem. EA games on Steam besides Warhead don't use activation limits so thats a good place to buy those. This issue with Gears is unique and entirely Epic's fault. They fucked up, badly. Its all on their head, not a sign of the times.

Got accurate proof to back that up? No one releases PC numbers. We don't know how well games sell. Also VERY few games hit a million in a week. On consoles games have a very low shelf-life. Within a first couple weeks console games hit close to their life-time sales numbers. On PC games have longer legs. It takes longer to sell, but its not like developers and publishers lose as much if a PC game isn't a huge hit. PC games are FAR cheaper and easier to make than console ones.

I'll say it again: Don't let the useless NPD charts fool you. They only monitor the US. They don't get numbers from ANY e-tailer. They don't get figures from Wal-Mart. That pretty much makes them 100% worthless. They might as well not even release their charts every week because they don't mean jack shit. Not to mention the US hasn't been the biggest PC gaming market in years. Its all Europe and Asia these days.

There is nothing wrong with console ports as long as they're not terribly ported. Asinine DRM schemes like limited installs are annoying, but there are so few games that use it that its not a big problem. EA games on Steam besides Warhead don't use activation limits so thats a good place to buy those. This issue with Gears is unique and entirely Epic's fault. They fucked up, badly. Its all on their head, not a sign of the times.

Got accurate proof to back that up? No one releases PC numbers. We don't know how well games sell. Also VERY few games hit a million in a week. On consoles games have a very low shelf-life. Within a first couple weeks console games hit close to their life-time sales numbers. On PC games have longer legs. It takes longer to sell, but its not like developers and publishers lose as much if a PC game isn't a huge hit. PC games are FAR cheaper and easier to make than console ones.

I'll say it again: Don't let the useless NPD charts fool you. They only monitor the US. They don't get numbers from ANY e-tailer. They don't get figures from Wal-Mart. That pretty much makes them 100% worthless. They might as well not even release their charts every week because they don't mean jack shit. Not to mention the US hasn't been the biggest PC gaming market in years. Its all Europe and Asia these days.

Other games with DRM:

Mass Effect, Warhead (you mentioned), Spore, Bioshock had it. There are more, but most everything out of EA these days uses securom.

Other games with DRM:

Mass Effect, Warhead (you mentioned), Spore, Bioshock had it. There are more, but most everything out of EA these days uses securom.

I was talking EA games and Steam only. Bioshock removed the install limits. ME and Spore don't use it on Steam. 99% of the games on retail shelves have some form of DRM. Disckcheck, CD keys, and everything like it are DRM. DRM is simply what it says: Digital Rights Management. Any form of copy protection or anti-piracy measures put onto a disc is considered DRM. The digital form of rights management has been around since the early 90s, if not before. Prior to that there were physical forms of rights management including the infamous code wheels, special passages in manuals, and unique codes only given with a games documentation,

Ridiculous, you's think they'd notice something like that in the year that its been out and correct it ahead of time. I hope this issue isn't repeated when they port over Gears of War 2, if they do that is.

Stop trying to deflect the blame from piracy. The only real reason why PC games industry is in decline (no WoW is not a game, its a drug, it doesnt count.) is because of piracy. Also because of the simple fact of the market that not every game (less then 1 out of ten) becomes a sucesful blockbuster, once you throw piracy into the mix even if it sells a million copies the profit margins are not as high as the developer wanted them to be. Considering the fact that Crysis cost $22 million to make it should easily be understandable why Crytek was so pissed off at the piracy numbers. Unless its an MMORPG or a sequel to a popular RTS or FPS that has multiplayer aspect (thus guaranteed sales) no one really bothers with PC games anymore. You want to make a good game and be financially rewarded for it? Switch to consoles.

Stop trying to deflect the blame from piracy. The only real reason why PC games industry is in decline (no WoW is not a game, its a drug, it doesnt count.) is because of piracy. Also because of the simple fact of the market that not every game (less then 1 out of ten) becomes a sucesful blockbuster, once you throw piracy into the mix even if it sells a million copies the profit margins are not as high as the developer wanted them to be. Considering the fact that Crysis cost $22 million to make it should easily be understandable why Crytek was so pissed off at the piracy numbers. Unless its an MMORPG or a sequel to a popular RTS or FPS that has multiplayer aspect (thus guaranteed sales) no one really bothers with PC games anymore. You want to make a good game and be financially rewarded for it? Switch to consoles.

Piracy is an excuse. Pirates aren't game consumers, they're not even really gamers. They're thieves, nothing more and nothing less. The rate of blockbuster to failure is NO different on consoles. Most games on the market are not going to make much more than just enough to justify they're being made. Thats a simple fact. Its no different on PC or consoles. The biggest difference is development cost. PC cast FAR less to develop for and have a far lower unit requirement for breaking even. On consoles $22 million is the cost of your average mid-range budget title. Big budget games on consoles are easily doubling that even without developing their own big internal engine. If Crytek isn't happy with 2-3 (whatever) million in sales they can kiss my ass. They're nothing but whiny bitches, pissing and moaning because they're poorly represented (they did everything they could to push the game's image of requiring a monster computer to run) game didn't sell Halo 2 or Gears numbers over night. They'll be in for a rude awakening if they decided to make a big budget console game. If they thought $22 million was something just wait.

you guys make it sound like consoles don't get any of the pirate problems that the PC industry has. I have seen more 360 pirates emerge than ever with hacked firmware. PS3 is been limited for 2 reasons I can see. 1. Blueray disc are still expensive, and Blue ray burners have not hit mainstream. Once those 2 are in total effect they will get the same problem everyone else is getting.

Epic has turned out to be such a shitty company. I always suspected they'd sell out to the man (which they did) but man they are just tanking. Epic tanking.

I just hope ID stops farming out its franchises to that pathetic RAVEN. Quake 4 was horrendous. I'm praying they don't butcher Wolfenstein.

Piracy is an excuse. Pirates aren't game consumers, they're not even really gamers. They're thieves, nothing more and nothing less. The rate of blockbuster to failure is NO different on consoles. Most games on the market are not going to make much more than just enough to justify they're being made. Thats a simple fact. Its no different on PC or consoles. The biggest difference is development cost. PC cast FAR less to develop for and have a far lower unit requirement for breaking even. On consoles $22 million is the cost of your average mid-range budget title. Big budget games on consoles are easily doubling that even without developing their own big internal engine. If Crytek isn't happy with 2-3 (whatever) million in sales they can kiss my ass. They're nothing but whiny bitches, pissing and moaning because they're poorly represented (they did everything they could to push the game's image of requiring a monster computer to run) game didn't sell Halo 2 or Gears numbers over night. They'll be in for a rude awakening if they decided to make a big budget console game. If they thought $22 million was something just wait.

Crytek doesn't count, they made a high end tech demo, not a game.

Piracy is a reality, and a reason for developes to jump ship from PC - but not the only reason. Piracy is a great reality, especially in single player games with no incentive to play online. Online games start to fix this by having global servers for tracking keys and all, and WoW is protected by Blizzard's aggressive lawsuits against shard servers. But for single player games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and such, piracy is all too real. Heck, even AOE suffers, because you can simply use hamachi to fool the game into running in LAN mode.

And PC games just cost more to develop, in terms of the actual time and effort required. You have to account for people still running x1900s and 6800s, as well as people running 4870X2s and GTX295s...etc. You need to account for a lowly dual core machine, and a Core i7...for WinXP and Win Vista, for AMD64 vs Intel64. There is a lot more overhead for dealing with a PC versus dealing with a console - where you have a certain unchanging set of hardware and can code around that.

you guys make it sound like consoles don't get any of the pirate problems that the PC industry has. I have seen more 360 pirates emerge than ever with hacked firmware. PS3 is been limited for 2 reasons I can see. 1. Blueray disc are still expensive, and Blue ray burners have not hit mainstream. Once those 2 are in total effect they will get the same problem everyone else is getting.

Change the console, get banned from Live. Great deterrent right there. And hackers on the X360 are limited. The only code you CAN run on device - XNA games - is severly limited in what it can do (sandboxed, essentially.)

Crytek doesn't count, they made a high end tech demo, not a game.

Piracy is a reality, and a reason for developes to jump ship from PC - but not the only reason. Piracy is a great reality, especially in single player games with no incentive to play online. Online games start to fix this by having global servers for tracking keys and all, and WoW is protected by Blizzard's aggressive lawsuits against shard servers. But for single player games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and such, piracy is all too real. Heck, even AOE suffers, because you can simply use hamachi to fool the game into running in LAN mode.

And PC games just cost more to develop, in terms of the actual time and effort required. You have to account for people still running x1900s and 6800s, as well as people running 4870X2s and GTX295s...etc. You need to account for a lowly dual core machine, and a Core i7...for WinXP and Win Vista, for AMD64 vs Intel64. There is a lot more overhead for dealing with a PC versus dealing with a console - where you have a certain unchanging set of hardware and can code around that.

Change the console, get banned from Live. Great deterrent right there. And hackers on the X360 are limited. The only code you CAN run on device - XNA games - is severly limited in what it can do (sandboxed, essentially.)
well you can make your arguments but saying that Crysis is only a tech demo is silly. it and especially Warhead were actually decent games in many peoples opinion. there are certainly worse games out there.

Don't worry, Epic has said GOW2 won't go to PC. I think they said the same of GOW1 - but they also whined about how GOW1 was pirated.

Don't get me wrong - Gears 2 is fun...but Gears 1 on PC didn't interest me much (and I did buy it. Regrettably.)

Things would have been better if the PC version wasn't so buggy. I own both Gears of War games on my 360, and when Gears for Windows game out I almost went and bought it!

By the way I was loling at the "epic" fail... wordplay owns.

well you can make your arguments but saying that Crysis is only a tech demo is silly. it and especially Warhead were actually decent games in many peoples opinion. there are certainly worse games out there.

To run the game smoothly, you still needed a beefy system. Worse yet, you paid 30 USD for <6 hours of gameplay. I don't call it a game. Can Crysis be enjoyable? Yes. Can it appeal to the masses? No.

It runs and plays pretty well when properly patched. You have to patch GFWL before even getting into the game or you will have problems.

To run the game smoothly, you still needed a beefy system. Worse yet, you paid 30 USD for <6 hours of gameplay. I don't call it a game. Can Crysis be enjoyable? Yes. Can it appeal to the masses? No.
to run it maxed out in DX10 with AA then yes you need a very beefy system. I can however run Warhead at 1920x1080 on all DX9 enthusiast settings and no AA smoothly though and my system isnt all that strong. also any modern midrange system can run the game on mostly high DX9 settings and still get better graphics than pretty much any other game. I also got the game on sale so it was more than worth what I paid for it. the original Crysis was okay game and Warhead is even better and I dont regret buying either. ;)

Back