Gears of War gets a release date!!!

Jerome36

2[H]4U
Microsoft Corp. today announced what anxious players have been eagerly awaiting: Emergence Day 2006. Available exclusively for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the highly anticipated title “Gears of War” will be available in North America on Nov. 12, 2006.

~ TeamXbox

Sweet. Looks like I'll be shooting for a new Xbox 360 in November! :)

There's another article at TeamXbox stated there won't be any demo available before the launch of the game. Kind of sucks, but it sounds like they've just been focussing on the main game itself, so that's good.

NEVER trust release dates!! Wait untill it has gone gold then you definately know it will get released within a few weeks.

Rash said:
NEVER trust release dates!! Wait untill it has gone gold then you definately know it will get released within a few weeks.

Microsoft wouldn't announce a release date that's only 100 days away if they didn't think they could hit it. Besides, did you happen to notice that Nov 12th is the day after the Japanese release of PS3, and a mere 5 days before the US release of PS3? I seriously doubt that date will slip, as it's crucial to helping Microsoft take some of the wind out of Sony's sails (or sales ;) ).

JethroXP said:
Microsoft wouldn't announce a release date that's only 100 days away if they didn't think they could hit it. Besides, did you happen to notice that Nov 12th is the day after the Japanese release of PS3, and a mere 5 days before the US release of PS3? I seriously doubt that date will slip, as it's crucial to helping Microsoft take some of the wind out of Sony's sails (or sales ;) ).

Very true. Expected this to happen. Couple'd with the new premium pack bundle and $50 off the Core system (i fully expect it regardless of what MS say), they could make a killing at christmas.

Genius. Same week of the PS3 launch.
Hope this makes PS3 buyers rethink their desicion . I really want Sony to fall flat on their face. Their idea of trying to make a $600 console mainstream really pisses me off. They are trying to change MY industry for the worse.

Hey Sony, GAMERS DONT shit money.
Glad the other two understand this... Seriously, the day games are $100 a piece, I'm finding another hobby. Dumbasses at Sony shit money, and they seem to think everyone else does too.

Get out of my industry. /end rant

LeviathanZERO said:
Hope this makes PS3 buyers rethink their desicion . I really want Sony to fall flat on their face. Their idea of trying to make a $600 console mainstream really pisses me off. They are trying to change MY industry for the worse.

Glad the other two understand this... Seriously, the day games are $100 a piece, I'm finding another hobby. Dumbasses at Sony shit money, and they seem to think everyone else does too.

/soothing voice like that of a dove that speaks English
You sound like a very angry person. You might have a happier and longer life if you just
calmed down a little. Sony has not hurt you or your family. Some people will buy a PS3,
and some, including you will not buy one. Everything will be okay I swear. I am sure that
there are some other psychologicaly healthy activites that you can engage in than getting
mad about an expensive device that you don't want. You could hug a small furry animal or
fly a kite. Flying a kite, doesn't that sound like fun? How long has been since you've flown
a kite?
/soothing dove voice

The above message is not sarcastic and I am not making fun of you. I am concerned
about your psychological health and that is all.

I can promise right now, this game will live up to the hype. How so ? Well for one I was at E3 and got my grubby little hands on it. I sat there next to magazine/Ezine game reviewers as they all smirked with excitement.

In fact, the general vibe after E3 was that Gears will most definately live up to the hype. I don't blame anyone who hasn't played it yet, because after all its easier to think negatively then the flip.

Gears of War is coming, and its going to rock the industry. Just wait.

mentok1982 said:
/soothing voice like that of a dove that speaks English
You sound like a very angry person. You might have a happier and longer life if you just
calmed down a little. Sony has not hurt you or your family. Some people will buy a PS3,
and some, including you will not buy one. Everything will be okay I swear. I am sure that
there are some other psychologicaly healthy activites that you can engage in than getting
mad about an expensive device that you don't want. You could hug a small furry animal or
fly a kite. Flying a kite, doesn't that sound like fun? How long has been since you've flown
a kite?
/soothing dove voice

The above message is not sarcastic and I am not making fun of you. I am concerned
about your psychological health and that is all.

You're concerned about my health, in a GEARS OF WAR thread....
Perhaps you are in the wrong place, not me.

If you like the prices of your hobby going up, by all means, add to the precidence they are trying to set. Go buy a PS3. Enjoy the future of $100+ video games.

In all honesty, if you were planning on buying a PS3 up until today, I *guarantee* this release day affect that decision at all. It's just like Majora's Mask didn't affect PS2 and FFX sales didn't affect Xbox/GC sales at all. A game on a competing system isn't going to do anything to anyone who doesn't already own a 360 and MIGHT want a PS3 casually. If $55 keeps you from getting a PS3, you didn't really want one in the first place.
What this game is designed to do is grab fence sitters who don't have a next gen system and want THE killer application they've been promised. Serious gamers already know where they stand.
This game WILL be out on that date, bank on that. MS wouldn't have announced it otherwise. they might release it broken or 95% done, but they'll put it out. They can always patch it later.
This game will be a big seller and it'll convince the people that ARE on the fence and trying to decide on a new system. If it's anything but a world beater, this could help Sony as much as it can hurt 'em.

LeviathanZERO said:

If you like the prices of your hobby going up, by all means, add to the precidence they are trying to set. Go buy a PS3. Enjoy the future of $100+ video games.

I paid $80 for Strider on my Genesis! It was well worth it. The one big reason the PS3 scares me is that I've had bad luck with their consoles in the past and would hate to have to replace it if it's out of warranty :(

I want Gears so bad. Maybe I'll just get that 360 now instead of a new CPU or something :confused:

LeviathanZERO said:

Why should I not be concerned about your health? You are person just like me. Also I said
nothing about anyone being in the wrong place. I also did not say anything about me playing
video games or about my intentions to buy a PS3. I am confused as to why you would
encourage someone to buy a PS3 when you have said that it is not a good idea. And finally I
am prepared to enjoy the future very much, even if video games cost $100.00 each and the
United States collapses. I live for the future, I live for today.

I respect you and your feelings, and I hope you enjoy your future.

In other news:
Yes I am a gamer and I am excited about Gears of War. I will probably play it at my
friends house a lot, or buy a 360.

LeviathanZERO said:

Thank goodness you apparently weren't alive yet or in a coma during the days of the SNES...if you account for inflation games back then were WELL over 100$. Many games went for 70-90$ easily, no silly collectors edition either, just the game.

Domingo said:
In all honesty, if you were planning on buying a PS3 up until today, I *guarantee* this release day affect that decision at all. It's just like Majora's Mask didn't affect PS2 and FFX sales didn't affect Xbox/GC sales at all. A game on a competing system isn't going to do anything to anyone who doesn't already own a 360 and MIGHT want a PS3 casually. If $55 keeps you from getting a PS3, you didn't really want one in the first place.
What this game is designed to do is grab fence sitters who don't have a next gen system and want THE killer application they've been promised. Serious gamers already know where they stand.
This game WILL be out on that date, bank on that. MS wouldn't have announced it otherwise. they might release it broken or 95% done, but they'll put it out. They can always patch it later.
This game will be a big seller and it'll convince the people that ARE on the fence and trying to decide on a new system. If it's anything but a world beater, this could help Sony as much as it can hurt 'em.

One thing this will do is for 5 days prior to the PS3 launch people will get to see a 2nd gen Xbox360 title in all it's glory, which is likely to look far better than any 1st gen PS3 title (as well as 1st gen Xbox360 titles). This game has been in development for years, and the last full year has been on final Xbox360 hardware. PS3 launch titles (just as Xbox360 launch titles) will only have the benefit of maybe three months of development on final hardware.

We all know that on PS3 launch day there will be lots of side-by-side comparisions between PS3 and Xbox360, and having Gears of War out there to compare with Sony Launch titles is likely to give Microsoft a huge boost, particularly in the mainstream media where issues behind such things as 1st gen vs. 2nd gen titles are completely meaningless. The local TV News Babe will have 30 seconds to show screens from PS3 and Xbox360, with very little commentary other than "Wow, one of these looks a lot better than the other". I believe that is what Microsoft is hoping will resonnate with mainstream consumers, and one of the key reasons for shipping GoW on Nov. 12th.

Erasmus354 said:
Thank goodness you apparently weren't alive yet or in a coma during the days of the SNES...if you account for inflation games back then were WELL over 100$. Many games went for 70-90$ easily, no silly collectors edition either, just the game.

And how much was the system you played it on? $149 at the time, because I bought Street Fighter II Turbo for $80 also.
Carts always cost more, I fail to see your point. Even N64 games went higher than $60 sometimes.

So.... $149 console +$80 (one, not common) game. Compared to $600 console +$60-$100 games....

uh yeah, try again.

LeviathanZERO said:

Anyone who will really choose a 360 + ONE game over a PS3 and the plethora of incredible games on the way is an idiot.

...and what do you not understand about the PS3? It's not just a gaming machine. It has a fucking Blu-Ray player which retails over $1000 today.
What more could you want?
Stop bitching.

LeviathanZERO said:
And how much was the system you played it on? $149 at the time, because I bought Street Fighter II Turbo for $80 also.
Carts always cost more, I fail to see your point. Even N64 games went higher than $60 sometimes.

So.... $149 console +$80 (one, not common) game. Compared to $600 console +$60-$100 games....

uh yeah, try again.

try what again? You said when games are 100$ .... I merely pointed out to you that games have been MUCH more expensive in the past then they are now, and consoles have been 600$ as well. So stop your bellyaching. If you dont want to spend that much--brace yourself this is a shocker--then dont buy it!

The18thLetter said:
Anyone who will really choose a 360 + ONE game over a PS3 and the plethora of incredible games on the way is an idiot.

...and what do you not understand about the PS3? It's not just a gaming machine. It has a fucking Blu-Ray player which retails over $1000 today.
Stop bitching.

lol, I guess you could want a reason for a Blu Ray player beyond being the first (and only) one your block to have one. It's like calling UMD a wonderful reason to have a PSP. I like the PS3, but the Blu-Ray player's just one of those things they're throwing in - not really much of a reason to get one.

Domingo said:
lol, I guess you could want a reason for a Blu Ray player beyond being the first (and only) one your block to have one. It's like calling UMD a wonderful reason to have a PSP. I like the PS3, but the Blu-Ray player's just one of those things they're throwing in - not really much of a reason to get one.
Sure, if you're on the go and like to watch movies and shit.

Otherwise, I wouldn't see the need for it.
Myself, I didn't see myself using it so I didn't need it and sold my PSP.

As opposed to the Blu-Ray disc...
Granted, if you have a SDTV, you wouldn't need it nor even give two shits about it. However, since HDTV's are steadily becoming the norm these days, the need for a higher-definition medium is there... aka Blu-Ray.
Not to mention games are becoming bigger (data size-wise), and more space is needed. DVD9's aren't cutting it so much anymore.

The18thLetter said:
...DVD9's aren't cutting it so much anymore.

That statement implies that DVD9's are insufficient for current games. Can you provide examples of current games that require more data capacity than a single DVD?

The18thLetter said:
DVD9's aren't cutting it so much anymore.

Oblivion is a large game wouldn't you say? With a huge gameworld full of diverse assets right? Obilivion fit on a single DVD...did you know that over half of the DVD was just audio? Seems to me like DVD9 is sufficient for 95% of games, and another 4% would work just fine on multiple discs. There are very few games that "just have to have" that extra space. Unless of course they want to store hours of uncompressed FMV just to say "we use up the entire 50GB Bluray disc!" :rolleyes:

Yup, games like Oblivion can fit on a DVD9 for the 360 and PC with space to spare. Blu-Ray is strictly for movies right now, Sony is just using the PS3 to shove it in the consumers' face. In an interview with the MGS4 developer, he said that Sony is forcing the developers to use all the space (most games will probably just fill it with FMV) on Blu-Ray even though its not necessary.

Erasmus354 said:
Oblivion is a large game wouldn't you say? With a huge gameworld full of diverse assets right? Obilivion fit on a single DVD...did you know that over half of the DVD was just audio? Seems to me like DVD9 is sufficient for 95% of games, and another 4% would work just fine on multiple discs. There are very few games that "just have to have" that extra space. Unless of course they want to store hours of uncompressed FMV just to say "we use up the entire 50GB Bluray disc!" :rolleyes:

I completely agree- the argument eveyone always uses is "well, ps3 will have jrpgs, which have so much fmv..." but they could easily fit this on a dvd9 with decent compression. Seriously now, you can fit 2 hours of dvd movie with an xvid codec well under a gigabyte...you really need more than 10 gigs for a game? Gimme a break- btw, your "uncompressed" videos still arent "uncompressed" if you wanna be technical- do the math on 1280x720 pixels at 25 frames a second times x 3600 frames per hour. How's your 80 gigs an hour hold up now (and thats at 720p)? Every game uses compression, and there's plenty of algorithms out there that can fit in under the size limits of a dvd9.

Quit my bitching?
Did you forget this is a PUBLIC forum.

Its too bad I made you mad, cause I dont like your favorite company. But all alliances aside $600 for a video game console is stupid. (oh no, its a computer, blueray player, ect. pfft)

Unless you think NEO GEO is mainstream, go ahead and keep your warped opinion.
But yeah, at least we do argee on one point. Buy what you want. You want a ripoff, go right ahead. I got a friend that has a NEOGEO AES, and he spent $300 for the cart of Metal Slug 5. That sounds like a GREAT deal, doesnt it. :rolleyes:

The18thLetter said:

Stop bitching.

1. The X360 has more than just one good game worth playing. Try again.
2. Great. A Blu-Ray machine. Unfortunately, Sony's movie playback in the PS2 system sucked ass in comparison to a real DVD player; what makes you think the PS3 Blu-Ray playback will be different?
3. I'm sure for a few thousand more it could give us all blowjobs and cook our breakfast; a huge list of features doesn't mean shit when your price is not even close to being competitive with others in the industry.
4. What incredible games are you talking about anyways? Do you mean the ones that have been pushed back to late 2007?

The18thLetter said:
Blue Dragon, Gears of War, Elemental Arms, Forbidden Planet, and many of the same games that will be on PS3 (Army of two, GTA4, RE5 and so on)

360 seemed like a good enough deal for me to buy it a bit early (Last Sunday :D )

And I hated the original Xbox line of games.

Back ON TOPIC

Does anyone know how long the single player game in GoW is supposed to be?

JethroXP said:
That statement implies that DVD9's are insufficient for current games. Can you provide examples of current games that require more data capacity than a single DVD?

Irrelevant. Consoles are supposed to be made for their whole lifetime (usually 4 or 5 years)
Will your last-gen technology stand up till 2010 (or later)?

Anyway... Let's hope "Gears of War" lives up to the hype. To be honest, I'm not seeing anything really interesting here.

The18thLetter said:

Stop bitching.

On the day after launch of GOW, let's reevaluate your statement once again. As someone stated earlier, there are a lot of people who will be undecided. It doesn't matter if the PS3 is a blu-ray player, because it has the playstation name. When people hear "playstation," they are going to think gaming console, not a stand alone blu-ray player. It's not going to matter to hardcore people, as they know what they want. For people sitting on the fence, this is something to think about. You also stated the PS3 and the plethora of incredible games on the way. That's the point, as these games have yet to arrive at that point in time. Also, does it matter that the PS3 costs $600 and a stand alone Bl-ray player costs $1000? People who are serious about the Blu-Ray format are going to be interested in a stand alone player. Using a console for media playback has always been a compromise. We should wait and see as we don't know how the market will react to this at this time. One thing I can garentee to you though, is that the Sony execs arn't getting any sleep at this time, because the stakes are so high for a successful launch of the PS3.

PikachuMan said:
Irrelevant. Consoles are supposed to be made for their whole lifetime (usually 4 or 5 years)

Anyway... Let's hope "Gears of War" lives up to the hype. To be honest, I'm not seeing anything really interesting here.

It's very relavent, because one console sells for $200 more than the other one, when they are both on par for performance. We are currently in an era of $60-70 games right now due to high development costs associated with making complex games in HD for today's complex consoles. Developers arn't going to fill up a disc for the sake of filling up the extra space. If anything, they are trying to find ways to cut costs without affecting quality. Will it also kill you to pop in a new disc halfway through the game?

PikachuMan said:

Irrelevant? He wasn't talking about the future, he was talking about now. He said DVDs aren't cutting it anymore, meaning they are insufficient now. How is my asking for an example to back up that claim irrelevant?

Most PCs games don't even ship on DVD yet, and those that do are considered "special editions". DVD has plenty of capacity for most games, now and 5 years from now. Obviously there will be some titles that expand beyond the capacity of a single DVD, it's inevitable, but that doesn't mean the format is dead.

seems to be a lot of sony haters out there eh? i mean... why, in anybodys right mind, would they want to turn a thread about a 360 game launch into the typical ps3 360 battle? oh wait... its far more entertaining... ok then...props to the tard who brought up the ps3 in the first place :p

but... just to fuel the argument... for arguments sake...

the 360 has more than 1 good game...blu-ray is being shoved in our faces...price isnt purely relative to competition...sony's been doing this all along, so it shouldnt be surprising to anyone...incredible games on the ps3 wont be released until probably 4Q07 or even 1Q08...most games will fit on a dvd-9 without a problem...

but then again... because sony is stuffing it in our faces, it may help to end the media battle sooner... which is a plus... if bluray wins... then the ps3 becomes a good investment... incredible games are still being released on the ps2... (oh, btw, ps2 is still the #1 selling console in the US...), and jrpgs can and have taken up 2+ dvds so the 'not having to change disc' is very nice but more importantly... bluray will become tremendously useful as a pc tool... cmon... storing 50 gigs on a single dvd sized disc doesnt interest you? sony doesnt need to have the incredible launch that the sony-haters make them out to need... the ps2 is still kicking very much ass... as long as the ps3 is ready to carry on the legacy of the ps2 when it is starting to die off... then the ps3 will be a success...

but ultimately, none of this matters, as most of this has been presented in one way or another, and competition among them is good for us... arent u glad u dont have to pay 550 for a 360, 800 for a ps3 and probably 400 for a wii? thats what the prices woulda been without the competition... so thank them for guttin it out... its saving us loads of cash...

oh and all u microsoft lovers sony haters... you should be THANKING sony for making the decisions theyve made up to now... because of them, microsoft will probably make sure to keep their prices in check so that they can maintain the price advantage they hold over sony

I am going to post on topic with the thread.
I have had this game pre-ordered for some time,and think this game looks to be fun as hell.

Joe

A bit off topic and sorry for it, but.... is it me or are people assuming that all ps3 games will be on a blueray disc?

Domingo said:
A game on a competing system isn't going to do anything to anyone who doesn't already own a 360 and MIGHT want a PS3 casually.
In my case I'll be picking up a 360 because of this game (b-day present to myself :) ) but, honestly, I'll be lucky if I find ten other games for it over the life of the console. I'll be getting a PS3 for most of my other games but no way am I paying all that cash for the system, I can wait a bit for it (atleast until MSG4).

Getting the Wii is a no-brainer, as soon as it's on the shelf I'll pick one up along with Twilight Princess. :D

Rash said:
A bit off topic and sorry for it, but.... is it me or are people assuming that all ps3 games will be on a blueray disc?

Sonny has already said that all PS3 games will be on Blu-Ray discs. It's one of their requirements for developing on the paltform.

JethroXP said:
Sonny has already said that all PS3 games will be on Blu-Ray discs. It's one of their requirements for developing on the paltform.
ok no probs cheers

Microsoft is forgetting that the first (and prolly the 2nd as well) shipment of PS3s will go to PS hardcore base and gold diggers, so by releasing Gears' date they do nothing to disrupt PS3 launch.

OT? I'm not surprised it has November's date. Can't wait, but the no demo before the game sucks.

Back