GDM-F520

SH1

[H]ard|Gawd
Given the interest in CRT displayed in some of the threads...

(I'm not familiar with the seller, but his feedback rating looks strong...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-21-GDM...yZ116350QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've had one of these for a couple of years now and have used it on and off (alternated it with an FW900, and briefly with an LCD TV).

It's had a few minor problems such as a BNC connector that went bad, but nothing that I wasn't able to ultimately sort out...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
way to much money for that monitor. its a great ,monitor but due to wieght , power consumption and no warranty and the fact that it is the year 2007 it is worth about 300 dollars max

I was gonna say $200, absolute max. Geezus, that seller is insane, truly... ouch. I picked up a G400 a few months back, 19" Trinitron pure flat screen, love every second of using it. It's old, yes, but the owner was an architect that bought it brand new for like $1600+ years ago for his vacation home here in Vegas. He only came to Vegas like 3 weeks a year, so when I bought it off him it had just a few months of actual "on time" on it, so it was practically brand new when he delivered it to me for $40.

It was fuckin' amazing when it first came out, it's still fuckin' amazing now. :)

The last new ones I saw on eBay generally sold for $750. I think that was back in 2005 or so. I've hardly even seen used ones on offer since then...

And as far as I know, it was Sony's most advanced computer CRT release. (There was apparently a .15 dot pitch prototype, but that never made it out the door.)

Displaymate still hasn't found another reference monitor.

http://www.displaymate.com/best.html#reference

(But the excellent GDM-FW900 is bigger and similar in PQ, except for pitch...)

I imagine that he will get a very good price for it. (A few years ago, I thought we'd all be on SED or OLED displays by now, but sadly not. Displays are the only category of computing device, which apparently peaked in terms of per inch PQ back in 2001...until I guess OLED anyway...)

I was gonna say $200, absolute max. Geezus, that seller is insane, truly... ouch. I picked up a G400 a few months back, 19" Trinitron pure flat screen, love every second of using it. It's old, yes, but the owner was an architect that bought it brand new for like $1600+ years ago for his vacation home here in Vegas. He only came to Vegas like 3 weeks a year, so when I bought it off him it had just a few months of actual "on time" on it, so it was practically brand new when he delivered it to me for $40.

It was fuckin' amazing when it first came out, it's still fuckin' amazing now. :)

Some people luck out. :)

It's amazing that someone still has some of these new after all these years considering that even used ones are near impossible to find nowadays (it makes me tempted to buy a second one). I have owned one of these monitors for nearly 7 years now and have loved it. I just received a refurbished GDM-F520 (built December 2003) from Sony the other day which I was offered for $720 because DHL destroyed the one I sent in to them for repair (it was insured so DHL gave me a check to cover the replacement).

This is still the best monitor on the market and it puts high-end LCDs to shame. For anybody considering buying one, keep in mind that if something is wrong with it, the cost to get it repaired by Sony is $325 flat-rate + however much it costs to ship it out to them. None the less, assuming the ones he is selling are in perfect working order, if you can get him to accept a best offer for ~$800 it would be a good deal imho.

Hmm i guess you're right, i thought the Artisan was better since it replaced the F520. But looking closer at the specs i see what you mean, .24mm dot pitch vs. .22mm.

Sony told Maximum PC, that including the F520 tube would have made the Artisan package too expensive.

Looks like he's sold three of the five F520s now.

(I hope mine lasts ok. It's not like I have the money or storage space for a spare unit. Still...oh well....)

Back