GD library and adding .gif support

tjwilco

n00b
I need some suggestions...

I have created a site admin system for a website that I was hoping to use to manage a large amount of images. The admin will be able to upload the images through a web interface and the system automatically resizes them and optimizes them. Obviously having .gif support is a big deal, but the dedicated linux box that I will be hosting the site on is currently running php 4.3.

I've upgraded my development server to php5 but it seems that I would have to give up tech support to have my host upgrade my production server.

Can anyone suggest some alternatives?

Thanks

Can they just upgrade the GD library? Since v2.0.28 (I think) they added .gif support back in.

There's also ImageMagick, but it'd have to be installed on the server. Pretty sure it has .gif support.

I've been looking into having them upgrade just the gd lib, but some things weren't clear.

If they upgrade the GD library to a newer version will the image commands in php4.3 work just like php5 that has it bundled?

Will they need to recompile just PHP? or will Apache have to be altered as well? I ask because I believe that altering apache is where the problem lies.

Yeah, I'm not sure on the installation side of things. At my old workplace we needed the GD library upgraded and the team in charge of the server took care of it. I know it left the current PHP and Apache install in place, but I don't know if they needed to be modified or not.

Since then, at my current workplace, we've been using mostly ImageMagick since it's quite a bit more robust and not dependant on PHP.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It helps me to sound like I know what I'm talking about so tech support doesn't just take the route that is easiest for them.

ekliptikz - My server is currently running 4.3.2. Can you elaborate on the need for 4.3.9 to upgrade the GD library to 2.0.28?

Only supported in GD versions older than gd-1.6 and newer than gd-2.0.28. Read-only GIF support is available with PHP 4.3.0 and the bundled GD-library. Write support is avaliable since PHP 4.3.9 and PHP 5.0.1.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php

***EDIT*** Wait I actually read the quote I just posted and it says with the "Bundled" GD-Library

So cancel what I said before

Back