Gclg2000's Cascade

DFI Daishi said:
have you always listed you location so clearly? i honestly never noticed that you are a fellow canuk before just now.

A little offtopic, but yeah...my location has been listed like that for a good while now, where're ya from?

probly better to continue this via PM's though.

For those of you still following the thread. Got all the parts to redo and upgrade the cascade after it died.

Mainly got 2 panel mount gages, 2 accumulators, several mounting brackets and etc. for the cascade. Also picked up a newer chilly1 chipset/GPU block for a cap tube system i'm building for Video and northbridge cooling. Also in the pic you see a messed up block that got sent back to him that i got for cheap from chilly. It will be turned down on a laythe machine and made into a DICE / LN2 container.

Also snagged a cheap TEV off ebay fo' cheap. Got it today also, so snapped couple pics of it.

Pics below and enjoy!!!

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0638.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

I dont really know what this all is, but I cant wait to stick around and learn.
If you can lower the temps that much, how much can you oc that processor?

amazing work.

Once again, 'grats bro on all your work....I'm starting planning on my dryice project as we speak. ;) :cool:

TVersetti said:
I dont really know what this all is, but I cant wait to stick around and learn.
If you can lower the temps that much, how much can you oc that processor?

amazing work.

If i can get the board stable, and from looking at similar work with these chips. I'm hoping for a 6ghz + screen shot? I'd love to get it stable at 5.5 or above.\

6ghz would be pretty cool club to join. All the -40'ish cooling i've seen with these chips has gotten them to around 5.3 ghz pretty easily stable. The chip is also one of the first ones out. I've had it for several months now.

This chip did 4.8ghz very easily at only like -20....no tinkering or tweakign at all. Just upping the fsb in bios got me that. So at -100 it should be pretty interesting. I think this is revision on the cascade should hold quite a bit of load. I've got a nice sized compressor going on 2nd stage and a monster on 1st stage. I should potentially have it redone this Thursday. Wire it up on friday vaccum it down and hopefully get it charged up to play with it some.

Looks great. Is that corrosion on your CPU head? Is that normal after that little of use?

typhoon43 said:
Looks great. Is that corrosion on your CPU head? Is that normal after that little of use?

tis not corosion,it's the copper mixing with the silver braze that's oxidizing

Glad to beback bro,i have some crap to handle here then me and u will get back to work,im thinking about a nice 2 stager atm,i know i can build it and i have the grip..just need to sit down and plan my part's list.

Sweet lookin rig, nice and compact. You should call it Hell on Wheels.

You gonna put a cover on it?

And those mounting brackets are tight. You should sell 'em. Can you do customs? :confused:

uclajd said:
Sweet lookin rig, nice and compact. You should call it Hell on Wheels.

You gonna put a cover on it?

And those mounting brackets are tight. You should sell 'em. Can you do customs? :confused:

Ya i plan on putting a cover on it. Panel mount gauges will prob go on the side of the unit or the front.

Thanks guys.

I almost went to work on it tonight. But some friends called to go to that Mr./mrs smith movie and to drink some.

So i've got to get my priorities back in line, and get the cascade finished.

gclg2000 said:
Thanks guys.

I almost went to work on it tonight. But some friends called to go to that Mr./mrs smith movie and to drink some.

So i've got to get my priorities back in line, and get the cascade finished.

No kidding, priorities man....geez. :rolleyes: :D

Movie looks good though, can't really blame ya. :p

i don't know.....i really like my computer, but a sufficient volume of good quality vodka +"other stuff" trumps most other potential diversions, in my books.

and, for those who don't already know, smirnoff's vodka is crap.

DFI Daishi said:
i don't know.....i really like my computer, but a sufficient volume of good quality vodka +"other stuff" trumps most other potential diversions, in my books.

and, for those who don't already know, smirnoff's vodka is crap.

I'm agreeing with you on the fact that sometimes priorities do need to be re-arranged...but not about the smirnoff's...I love the stuff. :D

cornelious0_0 said:
I'm agreeing with you on the fact that sometimes priorities do need to be re-arranged...but not about the smirnoff's...I love the stuff. :D
have you tried iceberg? stolichnaya? they are far superior, in the opinion of both myself and my friends who have taste-tested.

then again, it doesn't make that big a differecne if you mixing. i understand that not many other people drink their vodka cold and neat, as i do.

grey goose tops anything else that i have tried, but it should at that price.

DFI Daishi said:
have you tried iceberg? stolichnaya? they are far superior, in the opinion of both myself and my friends who have taste-tested.

then again, it doesn't make that big a differecne if you mixing. i understand that not many other people drink their vodka cold and neat, as i do.

grey goose tops anything else that i have tried, but it should at that price.

Naw man, haven't tried any of those others...might have to though...darn you. :p

The goose is good.

Goose + cranberry

Sky + cranberry

Sky + OJ

Smirnoff or however you spell it is good. I've drank about 10 gallons of it in my college carreer.

And about 15 gallons of Albertsons $10 hate on you vodka.

well, since iceberg is very nearly as good as the goose (both in my opinion and in international competition) and costs about the same as smirnoff's at the LCBO (provincial liquor and spirits retailer) it's hard to beat.

i just don't like the after-taste that smirnoff's leaves behind. stolichnaya, iceberg and the goose don't have any of that.

Smirnoff I just painful straight. Doesn't matter if it's as cold as can be, the aftertaste is just terrible. DFI's *grin* suggestions are excellent; for a long time I figured that all vodka was about the same, until I moved to the three that he's recommending. Now, going back to smirnoff makes my taste buds cry.

okay, you can drink anything.

good for you. i can't.

maybe prices are different where you are, in which case my next point is moot.

since the stolichnaya and iceberg are about the same price as smirnoff's, but are better quality, why should you settle for less? if, after trying the others, you still prefer the taste of smirnoff's, then that is ample reason to stick with it. if you like the others better, then why subject yourself to "anything"?

DamienThorn said:
Smirnoff I just painful straight. Doesn't matter if it's as cold as can be, the aftertaste is just terrible. DFI's *grin* suggestions are excellent; for a long time I figured that all vodka was about the same, until I moved to the three that he's recommending. Now, going back to smirnoff makes my taste buds cry.

Now that you guys mention it, it IS the aftertaste that really bothers me with Sminoff's...now I'll HAVE to experiement a little...thx. :)

DFI Daishi said:
okay, you can drink anything.

good for you. i can't.

maybe prices are different where you are, in which case my next point is moot.

since the stolichnaya and iceberg are about the same price as smirnoff's, but are better quality, why should you settle for less? if, after trying the others, you still prefer the taste of smirnoff's, then that is ample reason to stick with it. if you like the others better, then why subject yourself to "anything"?

Well i was half kidding. If i'm buying then i like to mainly get sky or goose.

But can't count how many times i've drank at parties or my friends or people i don't even know at their parties and etc...

Our biggest phrat down here a couple years ago had this goldfish part or some shit. About 1200 people ( i shit you not) and they had the cheapest vodka. Like 10 handles and 3 or so gallons of OJ at a time w/ bags of ice all mixed in a 20 gallons cooler stiring it with a big spoon. Just scooping cups in and out. They must have refilled it 10 times like that.

Stuff like that is what i'm saying i'll drink anything.

Maybe down here we don't care as much, it just time to get happy.

Like tonight, going to this club called "the dock" (on Pensacola beach here in town).

They do this thing called "drinking w/ lincoln" (all you can drink for $5). Is it top quality drinks and best beer...? no...but its $5....i'll drink it.

But no doubt Dashi, goose is the best vodka around IMO. Sky to me is right behind it.

gclg2000
I have been following this thing for months.
I love it, makes me want to get into Phase Change cooling, but I think I am far to lazy to put the needed time in.
Keep it up with this dual stage monster, good work.

P.S. Whats happing with it now?

Majin said:
P.S. Whats happing with it now?

I'd also like to know.

Man, I've got so much creative nature that if I ever took the time to become learned enough to build my own phase change/cascade it'd look damn fine...but I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the time to get THAT into it.

It sure would be awsome...I just like the idea of building my own and being able to CALL it my own. :D

Well i had it finished and a compressor died.

Then toar it all apart.

And rebuilt half of it.

Rest of the parts and stuff is sitting in a pile.

That pile will take me about 3 hours of work to finish it.

Hopefully i will just go do it this friday night. I hate giving up a weekend night, but it does need to just get done.

I did however make a dry ice tube from a scrap chilly1 block. Been playing w/ a Dothan at 3.0ghz w/ dry ice some. All i can say, is they are stupid crazy mega fast.

It do 24s SuperPI 1M :cool:

The board i can't get stable at all. It needs mods, but i don't think i wanna even fool with it. I wanna go w/ a dual core Intel i think. That or a 14x dothan so i can clock it higher.

5_21ghz.jpg

P6030110.sized.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCF0005_001.jpg

gclg - as others have said, thanks for documenting your work. I recently priced some water cooling equipment and was amazed to find that with all the bells and whistles (a.k.a. style) that I was in the same ball park as phase-change in price (and with computers, for me, it's function over form). Regardless, I learned a lot from watching your work and feel that much more comfortable with my next project.

For foul tasting vodka, I heard this helps.

sadvocate said:
gclg - as others have said, thanks for documenting your work. I recently priced some water cooling equipment and was amazed to find that with all the bells and whistles (a.k.a. style) that I was in the same ball park as phase-change in price (and with computers, for me, it's function over form). Regardless, I learned a lot from watching your work and feel that much more comfortable with my next project.

Thanks man. Glad you learned something.

sadvocate said:
hmmmm......that is very interesting.

i don't think that a brita filter is up to making luskoyva or wrybrodska passable, but i might see if it can turn prince igor into something that i would willingly drink.

i wondering if DamienThorn is up for another experimental vodka tasting night..... :)

Nice work GC. If its ok I'd like to know if you'd share the cost of this project minus tools needed to make it.

Also have any of you guys had Monarch Vodka or Rum. Its local to the NW so I dont know if its available in your parts.

thx

The cost is on up there. Not sure what exactly it has cost, since i've redone several things.

You can do a project like this w/ cheaper parts. But everything on this rig is pretty good quality i'd like to think at least.

If i were to sell this, i'd prob be looking for $1,500.

BitchBreaker said:
$1500 is a verry relaxed price for a 2 stage cascade built that nice.

Yeah, not bad at all...sad thing is that there's gonna be a LOT of people who don't understand this process, who'll look at that and flip out. Oh well, I guess they're the people that'll never own them anyways.

As I've said before...good stuff m8, truely impressive.

gclg2000 said:
Well i had it finished and a compressor died.

Then toar it all apart.

And rebuilt half of it.

Rest of the parts and stuff is sitting in a pile.

That pile will take me about 3 hours of work to finish it.

Hopefully i will just go do it this friday night. I hate giving up a weekend night, but it does need to just get done.

I did however make a dry ice tube from a scrap chilly1 block. Been playing w/ a Dothan at 3.0ghz w/ dry ice some. All i can say, is they are stupid crazy mega fast.

It do 24s SuperPI 1M :cool:

The board i can't get stable at all. It needs mods, but i don't think i wanna even fool with it. I wanna go w/ a dual core Intel i think. That or a 14x dothan so i can clock it higher.

DSCN0650.jpg
terribly off topic, but DAMN thats a nice picture ;)

Back