Gateway GT5238E (Intel DG965LV) Memory Upgrade

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,

I'm interested in upgrading the memory for the computer at the firehouse. Unfortunately I'm coming up with a lot of roadblocks finding out how much memory is supported, what kind, etc. I believe this mobo is the Intel DG965MQ (LV is the Gateway branded variant, or so I believe I read).

It appears that this will take up to 8gb of DDR2-667. I was told to max out the memory but I think 8gb is a bit too much, considering we're using Windows XP and really only doing web browsing and document editing... I was going to place 4gb of DDR2-800 in there as this board can support it up to 4gb.

I wanted to make sure:

1) The information above is correct, that I would be ok buying 4gb DDR2-800 memory
2) Would I benefit in any way if I got 4x1gb, or is 2x2gb ok?

Thanks!

Hello Punkrulz!

According to the Gateway Specs for the above said system, it is said that the system can support 8 GB of DDR2-533. That said being (4) 2 GB sticks of RAM. Also, the higher speed DDR2 will just adjust to the DDR2-533 automatically [usually].

The question is, is the version of Windows XP 32-bit or 64-bit?
If it is 32-bit, 4 GB will be read as 3.X GB. Also, if using onboard, the onboard video can be set to 224 MB through the BIOS with the larger amount of RAM.

There are most likely (2) 512 MB sticks installed already [unless you checked] so I would just suggest putting another 2 GB in with (2) 1 GB sticks and leave the other 2 sticks installed for a total of 3 GB minus the onboard video if that is being used.

Here are 2 links to current RAM deals on Newegg for both dual packs and single packs of DDR2 1 GB sticks.

Dual Packs
Single Packs

I hope that I helped you.

COOLDUDEGAMER
[I am not yelling, that is my name, sorry about the caps lock with my name. :p]

Don't get 4x1gb. Many mobos will require you OC the southbridge just to get it stable at stock frequencies when using 4x1gb because it puts more stress on the board than 2x2gb.

AVT, he is using a store bought so the board is missing the function of being able to overclock.

Back