Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

No, no black bars. The 360 is at a friends house and I will be going there this evening. I am almost positive I had the 1920x1200 option, but I may be wrong...errr....come to think of it, maybe I was just mistaking that res for 1080P, which of course IS 1920x1080 :confused:

None the less let me check it this evening and I will post back in this thread.

1920x1080 is currently the highest resolution supported by the 360. I doubt that you'll see anything higher in the lifetime of the console.

Darv....I installed the latest version of Eztune, and it does not recognize my display and says the "DDC/CI connection is not possible" ? It is not "seeing" my Gateway.....

Hi Rapture,

Probably best if you can hit the Help > Technical Support link then answer Yes to let it fill out a support request form.

I need to know things such as the graphics card model, driver date, operating system, type of connection (DVI / VGA). The from it fills out provides all this info.

The most common problem we see are disaply drivers. Usually updating to the current drivers or reinstalling the current drivers will fix the problem but there are a number of potential causes.

Email us. We have same day turn around on business days and if you like, in the description field, put it to my attention.

Darv
PDI Support

Darv,

I use EzTune 1.4 in both XP and Vista and find it works extremely well. The ability to adjust the color curve at 6 different points is outstanding and enables a really accurate calibration.

I really love this Gateway monitor but compared to my previous CRT monitor, the colors appear to be overly saturated, similar to the Color control on a TV set being turned up too high. I've played around with the nVidia color controls but they only make it worse. The Vibrance control in the nVidia control panel is set to minimum and any increase only makes the situation much worse.

Is there any way to reduce the color saturation slightly? I'm not a gamer but I find photographs look overly saturated, at least for my taste.

Thanks

i'm having the same exact problem. went from 1.3 which was working just fine to 1.4. only tabs that can be highlighted is options and help.

when i click on version, it says DDC/CI connection is not possible.

i've also tried using the diagnostics tool and that doesn't work.

oh, and i also using windows vista.

Exactly my issue. I have submitted an error report to them.....

Also, I have a November 2006 model.....should I call Gateway and get an updated December model? This one has some banding, nothing tragic, but if the newer models are better....

Exactly my issue. I have submitted an error report to them.....

Also, I have a November 2006 model.....should I call Gateway and get an updated December model? This one has some banding, nothing tragic, but if the newer models are better....

I had this problem. I made sure to uninstall all EzTune versions and delete the old folders manually. I then reinstalled version 1.4, and everything is fine.

Darv,

Is there any way to reduce the color saturation slightly? I'm not a gamer but I find photographs look overly saturated, at least for my taste.

Thanks

Hi Doug,

Yes, the monitor is somewhat saturated. This was actually one of the things I liked about the monitor. Other monitors didn't seem to be able to match the rich color of the Gateway moniotrs.

In researching this issue at first I thought, no problem. But being that I have a lot of experience with saturation in Photoshop I was surprised to find there is no real way to specifically adjust saturation in the monitor or graphic card controls. The over all effect I was looking for was to get closer to a black and white image. What I found was that RGB and other settigns just darkened the image and none of the contrtols would take me to a back and white image.

The best I could find for you was in the color calibration tool which you already mentioned. If you adjust the slider on the side so the gray patch appears to match the background, (the good ol squinting test) you do get a less saturated result at the end of the calibration process but I think this is also affecting brightness and the overall goal of a saturation tool would be to simply loose color and not affect brightness. It is not a perfect soltuion but it should help.

I will bring this up in the next deisgn meeting and see if this is perhaps a slider specifically for saturation would help. Of course this is something that Gateway would have to agree to add as they have final say as to what controls are in EzTune.

I also looked in few monitor calibration tools and was surprised to find nothing really addresses the calibration from a saturation aspect in the regards to the monitor. I did find plenty of tools for adjusting images.

If anyone discovers anything specific to saturation in the montior let me know.

Darv

Darv

OK, without any warning I received my replacement display today. Still no return label, but we'll work that out with Gateway. Or maybe not. ;) Two 24" displays.. :cool:

The new display is a December 2006 display. We'll see how it works out later tonight. I'll post my results. The real test will be after a few weeks, however - that's when the backlight bleed appeared on the last display.

Hi Doug,

Yes, the monitor is somewhat saturated. This was actually one of the things I liked about the monitor. Other monitors didn't seem to be able to match the rich color of the Gateway moniotrs.

In researching this issue at first I thought, no problem. But being that I have a lot of experience with saturation in Photoshop I was surprised to find there is no real way to specifically adjust saturation in the monitor or graphic card controls. The over all effect I was looking for was to get closer to a black and white image. What I found was that RGB and other settigns just darkened the image and none of the contrtols would take me to a back and white image.

The best I could find for you was in the color calibration tool which you already mentioned. If you adjust the slider on the side so the gray patch appears to match the background, (the good ol squinting test) you do get a less saturated result at the end of the calibration process but I think this is also affecting brightness and the overall goal of a saturation tool would be to simply loose color and not affect brightness. It is not a perfect soltuion but it should help.

I will bring this up in the next deisgn meeting and see if this is perhaps a slider specifically for saturation would help. Of course this is something that Gateway would have to agree to add as they have final say as to what controls are in EzTune.

I also looked in few monitor calibration tools and was surprised to find nothing really addresses the calibration from a saturation aspect in the regards to the monitor. I did find plenty of tools for adjusting images.

If anyone discovers anything specific to saturation in the montior let me know.

Darv

Darv

Hi Darv,

Thanks for the speedy reply and for your suggestion. As part of the EzTune calibration, I have already set the gray patch to match the background (as best I can) but didn't find that it reduced the color saturation.

The added saturation looks great on Powerpoint graphics and charts but for pictures, it makes everyone look like they have a sunburn. :D

I hope that you and your design team can convince Gateway to add a control for saturation. With the EzTune ability to save Profiles, it would be easy to save a "Picture" profile with reduced saturation and a Gaming or Graphics profile with the enhanced saturation.

Thanks,

Doug

Could EZTune ever be used for firmware upgrading and or bulb brightness reduction?

Ferris,

The underlying technology behind EzTune is called Dispaly Tune and you can read about some of it's features on our website.

Please understand that I cannot comment on things that may or may not be developed specifically for Gateway. I can only comment on those things currently released in the software and of course pass along any recomendations customers may request.

I can however say that if a monitor is equipped with the proper hardware then yes, Display Tune is designed to allow for such features to be developed. It's up to the hardware manufacturer to specify which features they wish to implement. We continue to improve the software and add new features.

Darv
PDI Support

Been looking at this display to replace a Dell 2407 that couldn't do 1:1 pixel mapping. A few questions about the different versions:

1) Dec 2006 and later seem to be a new revision? The Nov 2006 and older revisions seem to have problems with backlight bleed and power supply buzzing. Is it safe to say the Dec 2006 and later models are less problematic?

2) I've seen some mention of different colored stickers. Are these stickers on the outside of the box? Or on the display itself somewhere? I looked at a few and saw some different colored stickers on the front, as well as some colored stickers on the back.

3) Is there any way to tell what month/revision the monitor is from the box? I plan to hand-pick my monitor to avoid any potential issues, especially if the Dec. 2006 models are better panels. One thing I noticed was the serial numbers of the Nov. 2006 models are:

MGL6B XXX XXXXX

There was one in box that I saw with a serial number that was:

MGL6C XXX XXXXX

Can owners of both Nov and Dec 2006 revisions confirm these serial numbers? The first 5 Alphanumeric numbers seem to indicate a production batch or revision, the rest are the individual ID tags for that particular monitor.

Some other questions and concerns. I've read a few comments this monitor has problems with 1080p when using 1:1 with some of the component and VGA inputs. Is this the case with all versions?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Been looking at this display to replace a Dell 2407 that couldn't do 1:1 pixel mapping. A few questions about the different versions:

1) Dec 2006 and later seem to be a new revision? The Nov 2006 and older revisions seem to have problems with backlight bleed and power supply buzzing. Is it safe to say the Dec 2006 and later models are less problematic?

2) I've seen some mention of different colored stickers. Are these stickers on the outside of the box? Or on the display itself somewhere? I looked at a few and saw some different colored stickers on the front, as well as some colored stickers on the back.

3) Is there any way to tell what month/revision the monitor is from the box? I plan to hand-pick my monitor to avoid any potential issues, especially if the Dec. 2006 models are better panels. One thing I noticed was the serial numbers of the Nov. 2006 models are:

MGL6B XXX XXXXX

MGL6C XXX XXXXX

Can owners of both Nov and Dec 2006 revisions confirm these serial numbers? The first 5 Alphanumeric numbers seem to indicate a production batch or revision, the rest are the individual ID tags for that particular monitor.

Some other questions and concerns. I've read a few comments this monitor has problems with 1080p when using 1:1 with some of the component and VGA inputs. Is this the case with all versions?

1) I would say it's safe to say that a Dec 2006 will increase your chances of getting a pretty much flawless display. Is it 100%? No. It is also possible to get a flawless Nov 2006. That being said your chances certainly increase of having corner backlight bleed with a Nov 2006, buzzing really just depends on the display. I don't think the date matters, but only in rare cases is it bad enough to be heard over any PC, let alone enough to annoy you. One thing is known, it is NOT a sign of a potential defective product.

2) The colored stickers are put on by Gateway when they ship them, they contain batch numbers and info like that. There are green, blue, yellow and orange. Search through page 45ish and on to determine which are December. From what I can remember Blue is december as are most yellow.

3) This monitor has no problem with 1080p over VGA. I have a 360 hooked to it using VGA 1080p and it is really amazing. I am also using my PC and PS3 over the DVI port using an HDMI switch and PS3 at 1080p is also a total treat. I haven't tried myself but I think 1080p works on Component 2 and seems more stable with Dec models. I'd try mine but honestly it would be a pain to undo everything.

My Dec is an MGL6C

Let me know if you have any more questions

MGL6B XXX XXXXX

MGL6C XXX XXXXX

1) It's safe to say that a Dec 2006 will increase your chances of getting a pretty much flawless display. Is it 100%? No. It is also possible to get a flawless Nov 2006. That being said your chances certainly increase of having corner backlight bleed with a Nov 2006, buzzing really just depends on the display. I don't think the date matters, but only in rare cases is it bad enough to be heard over any PC, let alone enough to annoy you. One thing is known, it is NOT a sign of a potential defective product.

2) The colored stickers are put on by Gateway when they ship them, they contain batch numbers and info like that. There are green, blue, yellow and orange. Search through page 45ish and on to determine which are December. From what I can remember Blue is december as are most yellow.

3) This monitor has no problem with 1080p over VGA. I have a 360 hooked to it using VGA 1080p and it is really amazing. I am also using my PC and PS3 over the DVI port using an HDMI switch and PS3 at 1080p is also a total treat. I haven't tried myself but I think 1080p works on Component 2 and seems more stable with Dec models. I'd try mine but honestly it would be a pain to undo everything.

My Dec is an MGL6C

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 1080p is only supported over DVI and VGA. 1080i appears to be the highes resolutiong over component. I did some experimenting with a PS3 over component and I couldn't get 1080p to work properly. I would LOVE to be proven wrong though! :D

I was also just looking around Gateway's site and they appear to have updated it and taken off the resolutions that the inputs support. It used to say 1080p over component. Now in their online manual, 1080i is listed as the max resolution for ANY of the inputs (although we know 1080p is supported over DVI and VGA.

Or maybe I just totally missed it.

I can check the label on my Dec. box when I get home in about an hour.

I had this problem. I made sure to uninstall all EzTune versions and delete the old folders manually. I then reinstalled version 1.4, and everything is fine.

Considering I never even had EZTune installed in this OS until I put 1.4 on it, why would that work? But I'll try it....

1) It's safe to say that a Dec 2006 will increase your chances of getting a pretty much flawless display. Is it 100%? No. It is also possible to get a flawless Nov 2006. That being said your chances certainly increase of having corner backlight bleed with a Nov 2006, buzzing really just depends on the display. I don't think the date matters, but only in rare cases is it bad enough to be heard over any PC, let alone enough to annoy you. One thing is known, it is NOT a sign of a potential defective product.

My Dec is an MGL6C

Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'll have to see how loud the buzzing sound is to see if its a deal-breaker or not. My current build is much quieter than my previous rigs and right now my WD Raptor X is the loudest thing in my PC.

The sticker on the MGL6C was more of a bronze/brown rather than yellow, but the rest of the serial numbers are pretty close to yours. Hopefully its close a relative to the one you got as it seems you're extremely happy with yours. The sticker on the MGL6B was all white, maybe I'll check a few more locations and see what I can find.

If 1080p works over DVI and VGA that should be plenty. It sounds like the component inputs have some problems though with 1080p, but how does the 1080i look? I saw that you use a DVI switch for HDCP, which is a great suggestion as well and I'll go that route if the needed arises. I wanted to use the component though for a HD cable box in my room. Ya, Comcast gets to whack me for another $5 a month or whatever, but it'll be worth it. Anyone doing HD cable @1080i over component? How does it look?

So far it looks as if MGL6C is Dec 2006 and MGL6B is Nov 2006, more confirmation would be great for those looking to buy one of these panels.

Thanks again.

1) I would say it's safe to say that a Dec 2006 will increase your chances of getting a pretty much flawless display. Is it 100%? No. It is also possible to get a flawless Nov 2006. That being said your chances certainly increase of having corner backlight bleed with a Nov 2006, buzzing really just depends on the display. I don't think the date matters, but only in rare cases is it bad enough to be heard over any PC, let alone enough to annoy you. One thing is known, it is NOT a sign of a potential defective product.

My Dec is an MGL6C

Take some screenshots, i'm sure folks here would love to see 1080P 360 on this gateway.

I did 1080p over VGA with Xbox 360 and 1080p over DVI (HDMI) with PS3.

Both looked amazing but xbox 360 didn't gain much because none of my games are 1080p native. I'll take some pictures later if people want.

Take some screenshots, i'm sure folks here would love to see 1080P 360 on this gateway.

I already did back in this thread, not many but it takes a while so I did what I had time for.

Someone wanted to see PS3 at 720P when I took these, so that is the first bunch, 1080p PS3 is even better with black bars for perfect aspect ratio.

And here are a few 360 1080p shots...

I've also had problems with 1080p over Component for the Xbox360. A lot of the time it says "frequency out of range" and other times an image shows up but its seriously squished horizontally - by using the "wide" mode I'm able to make it look pretty normal, but regardless of the image size the colors are sooo washed out when I use 1080p. For the people that use 1080p on the Xbox, are you using the VGA cable?

And whoever said that 1080i is the highest res supported on Component, that sure seems to be the case.

I've also had problems with 1080p over Component for the Xbox360. A lot of the time it says "frequency out of range" and other times an image shows up but its seriously squished horizontally - by using the "wide" mode I'm able to make it look pretty normal, but regardless of the image size the colors are sooo washed out when I use 1080p. For the people that use 1080p on the Xbox, are you using the VGA cable?

And whoever said that 1080i is the highest res supported on Component, that sure seems to be the case.

It doesn't support 1080p over component, and the xbox 360 doesn't support it with any TV... It outputs max 1080i over component and 1080p over VGA.

It doesn't support 1080p over component, and the xbox 360 doesn't support it with any TV... It outputs max 1080i over component and 1080p over VGA.

are you certain that the xbox360 doesnt support 1080p over component? Because its listed in the options, and it seems like it should output it...

Would you take this back? In other words, how bad is my backlight bleed when compared to others??

monitor1wx6.jpg

dsc01965oa4.jpg

Would you take this back? In other words, how bad is my backlight bleed when compared to others??

ya thats some bleeding, i would take it back if its local. Shipping it on the other hand eh .. up to you.

Question is , can you live with it? will it bug you over time?

Gateway support - stinks. While I did receive a replacement monitor - which seems to be lacking both the backlight bleed and buzzing - I didn't receive a shipping label. My initial contact with Gateway said I have seven days to ship the monitor back before I'm charged. The cut-and-paste responses that I'm getting from the non-native-English-speaking techs are hard to parse.

We'll see how it goes. I can see getting charged for a second monitor while they sort this mess out. Ugh.

that hot spot in the upper right corner seems to be on every november model.

if you can still take it back, and be sure of getting a december model, i'd do that.

hell- this thing has a 1 year warantee from gateway on all parts including the backlight, so you really have a year to decide if it bugs you. assuming gateway will let you return it for backlight bleed, that is, which i have no idea.

monitor1wx6.jpg

dsc01965oa4.jpg

Is the picture making it worse? Usually a picture of backlight bleed makes it look much worse. That isn't really THAT bad at all to be honest. I mean how many times do you stare at a black screen?

That being said you paid good money so if you aren't happy with it, take it back for another. I did the same and ended up with an even black screen.

Gateway support - stinks. While I did receive a replacement monitor - which seems to be lacking both the backlight bleed and buzzing - I didn't receive a shipping label. My initial contact with Gateway said I have seven days to ship the monitor back before I'm charged. The cut-and-paste responses that I'm getting from the non-native-English-speaking techs are hard to parse.

We'll see how it goes. I can see getting charged for a second monitor while they sort this mess out. Ugh.

You should contact corporate. Sounds like you are dealing with a bunch of outsourced douches that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Another thing, why are you emailing them? You gotta phone these people to get results IMO and always ask for a supervisor, if they can't do shit, ask for their supervisor.

if you watch a lot of movies on your screen, like i do, that upper right corner bleed will start to piss you off whenever there is a dark scene. trust me, it's annoying.

I guess, but I find it hard to believe that the little bit of bleed in that pic can be seen with any sort of image on screen. Unless it is REALLY bad in person. Again my only bleed was corner bleed and due to the bars on top and bottom it was always viewable. Something like that though seems lower than the corner.

Again if it is annoying, take it back.

My gateway runs 1080p over component1 PERFECTLY. I showed some pics a couple of pages ago. My monitor is a Nov. 2006 build.

Damn, my local CC just got these back in stock but it no longer lists on sale and i have no valid coupon codes:mad:

Back