Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Gateway isn't too quick to ship out a replacement. I contacted them on 1/27, and they agreed to cross-ship a replacement. When I contacted them yesterday to inquire as to the status, I was told to wait another five days.

The backlight bleed is much worse now, but when the display is warmed up (~30 minutes or so) it isn't noticeable at all.

I feel your pain. I contacted them monday the 29th and agreed to the hold on the card as well to get one quicker. On the 31st I got an empty box big enough to ship a 15" CRT in with some foam and a return label. called them and the person who took my order just clicked on the button to send that as well. On that phone call they could not tell me where the monitor was other than coming. Today I call them as I had not gotten it and they said basically they dont know. The girl I talked to said it did not show if it was on backorder or anything that she could see. She then got her supervisor and all he said was I have to wait 2 weeks from the original date before they will "escalate" it. All I know is I glad I still have my trusty Dell and thinking my next LCD will be another Dell, as the turn around from them was very fast for me in the past when having a problem.

I get migraine easy.

I use a 19" LCD at 75mhz refresh rate. That works well for me.

If you are one of those people, you know what I mean.

It was a really nice monitor. I just wish it did 75mhz at the high resolution, it would have solved it for me.

I just bought a Gateway FPD2485W 24'' LCD and I hooked it up to my Macbook Pro over DVI... my god, it looks hideous. I messed around with it for a half hour and something happened, and bam, it looked good. I unplugged it to mount it, which reset everything (yeah, what?)

Anybody have suggestions? Also, is it normal that when you turn it on the screen is all green and looks like the matrix, but with static and banding?

Try going into DVI Video mode and changing the Video mode RGB vs YUV and see if that makes a change.

Tim-in-CA

I get migraine easy.

It was a really nice monitor. I just wish it did 75mhz at the high resolution, it would have solved it for me.
LCDs use a backlight which is constantly lit. The refresh rate only indicates how quickly the pixels may be switched. When the image is static, the picture is constant -- it's not redrawn like on a CRT, so there's no flicker. There are many issues that could be causing headaches, such as the monitor being too bright, or the text not sharp enough. But if you're getting migraines, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the refresh rate.

I sm not sure what causes it, but this did it. Maybe, I will try the next edition or revision. I tried different settings without result.

Thanks, though

I have the FPD2485W that I bought with a Gateway FX530XG. Have 2 ATI X1950 512mb video cards, Crossfire video cards are enabled, using DVI, with 1920 X 1200 display.

Never installed the EzTune software until today and notice a problem with it.

When I either start or restart the PC it will boot to the desktop, then the screen goes black, then the display goes upside down, then it goes right side up and back to the desktop.

If I disable wpctrl in msconfig then it will boot stright to the desktop with doing all the flipping of the display. This wpctrl is for the Pivot-Software. Anyone know why this would be doing this?

I also turned off EzTune from starting at boot.

Heffy
http://www.heffy.com

What a shame - I got a dud monitor and my best buy doesn't stock any more monitors.

I guess its either Dell or I make the trek out to Circuit City to pick up another of these bad boys :(

well I just said f it and got me this monitor from best buy. I was able to get it price matched by taking in a printout of circuit city's site, but I wasnt able to talk them into using the 12% off rewardzone coupon. Ill put up a review and pics of it in a few hours once I get it set up.

Edit: I got it set up, brilliant display (although about 7 dead pixels that I've seen so far), will add the stuff later.

Well I certainly will be looking for it in the next few weeks. I bought the 2 year warranty from CompUSA so I can take it back there if I start to have problems.

How exactly does it first appear? Is it just a noticeable lightness in a certain corner of the screen?
Yes it starts off as a very light greyish haze - think of a circle with a brighter white center and gradually fading to black towards the edge. Now superimpose that circle with the center point at the corner of your monitor so that only a quarter of the circle will overlap your screen. That is what you will see. Then you will notice that the circle is getting bigger and brighter grey each day. By the way this happens in each of the four corners although it seemed to be worst in the top right for me.

When I either start or restart the PC it will boot to the desktop, then the screen goes black, then the display goes upside down, then it goes right side up and back to the desktop.

If I disable wpctrl in msconfig then it will boot stright to the desktop with doing all the flipping of the display. This wpctrl is for the Pivot-Software. Anyone know why this would be doing this?

I am not sure why it would do it more than once but the first time it's checking to see if the system supports hardware accellerated rotation. If so it make use of it. I don't know why it would do it more than once.

I would be interested in knowing if it occurs if you uncheck the Auto Pivot feature in EzTune. If it does, then it has something to do with the detection of the position switch in the monitor. Perhaps something related to the Crossfire configuration.

Let me know if you try it.
Darv

PDI Support

I get migraine easy.

$20 copay and go see doctor about that. I highly doubt the refresh rate has anything to do with that. However, headaches are the worst!

$20 copay and go see doctor about that. I highly doubt the refresh rate has anything to do with that. However, headaches are the worst!

I'm getting the feeling you havn't had migraines..

A guy I work with is sensitive to light and often wears sunglasses indoors. He can get migraines just from too much sunlight, so I could understand a migraine being triggered by a 60hz pulse from an LCD. I bet smoothmove isn't a big fan of flourescent lighting either..

I think Lord Twilight ,brought up the possible problem .
An LCD monitor's LCD panel might not have a "flickering refresh rate" like a CRT monitor does but I do believe the light behind the LCD panel is Flickering at 60hrz.
Anyone know if this is true ?

I'm getting the feeling you havn't had migraines..

A guy I work with is sensitive to light and often wears sunglasses indoors. He can get migraines just from too much sunlight, so I could understand a migraine being triggered by a 60hz pulse from an LCD. I bet smoothmove isn't a big fan of flourescent lighting either..
I get migraines often as well (maybe 2x a month or so). I don't get them from looking at an LCD screen because I do that at least 6 hours a day. But I can get them from looking at a bright source of light for a split second or missing meals or drinking coffee. But at the same time, drinking coffee also relieves the migraine. Caffeine is an effective treatment of migraines. That's the magic ingredient in those OTC migraine pills you see. I feel sorry, though, for those individuals who have such severe cases of migraines/headaches they must either resort to prescription strength sumitriptan or surgeries because sometimes my headaches make me ill.

The 204bw that was replace

The new baby

Gateway 24inch compaired to the sammy 20inch

Back panel showing the inputs

Heres my short review.
Banding: It has some, not enough to complain about, but enough to be very slightly annoyed when sitting 3 feet from it.

Blacklight bleed: In the four corners you can kinda make it out, however as of now its not even enough to make me think twice about it. However when I first hooked it up last night, I swore there wasnt any at all. Ill have to keep a look out for it

Touch sensitive buttons: While the concept is rather nice, it can take a little time to get to where you need to go as theyre extremely sensitive. (still i think the vanity of them makes it worth it)

Inputs: I havent tried any and probly wont be using them except VGA for the 360 (will post pics if anyone wants to see)

Video Playback: Dead sexy, this monitor is smooth! Coming from the 204bw, I can immediately see the difference

Color/contrast: Agian dead sexy! this monitors color is very vibrant. Blacks are black and whites light up your whole room (not really a problem for me since it doesnt bother me). You might want to turn down the brightness tho, I believe its set to 80-90 factory and I turned it down to 25, the image is still EXTREMELY bright (in a good way)!

Ghosting: I havent noticed any yet, I havent tried any fps games or even WoW yet (if requested I can post some pics of WoW if I can borrow my friends account)

Pretty much all I can think of, if theres any requests let me know (I just got my digital camera so I'm trigger happy :D ). All in all, this monitor is a winner. Its pretty much everything I hoped for. Its HUGE and everything just looks so damn good. The only thing I'm thinking about doing is taking it back to bestbuy to swap for another one since this has a few dead pixels (albeit theyre not in places where they would ever bother me).

I think Lord Twilight ,brought up the possible problem .
An LCD monitor's LCD panel might not have a "flickering refresh rate" like a CRT monitor does but I do believe the light behind the LCD panel is Flickering at 60hrz.
Anyone know if this is true ?

I cannot say with any certianty but in Googling "LCD Backlight Power Supply Requirements" I found at least one document that indicated that the power supply typically ran at about 200hz. And another document that indicated that CCFL tubes could run at between 50hz to 1000hz. I seriously doubt they would use a frequency detectable to the human eye.

Darv

I feel your pain. I contacted them monday the 29th and agreed to the hold on the card as well to get one quicker. On the 31st I got an empty box big enough to ship a 15" CRT in with some foam and a return label. called them and the person who took my order just clicked on the button to send that as well. On that phone call they could not tell me where the monitor was other than coming. Today I call them as I had not gotten it and they said basically they dont know. The girl I talked to said it did not show if it was on backorder or anything that she could see. She then got her supervisor and all he said was I have to wait 2 weeks from the original date before they will "escalate" it. All I know is I glad I still have my trusty Dell and thinking my next LCD will be another Dell, as the turn around from them was very fast for me in the past when having a problem.

Wow. No wonder Gateway lost the consumer space in the mid-90s to Dell. That's just horrible service.

An RMA shouldn't be this much hassle. In the big scheme it's really not that bad, but why the delay? Maybe they're shipping tons of these to their retail partners.

OK Thanks Darv , I see your point. I didn't know the backlight could be set to such a high refresh rate.

I made an image of my C: drive before I installed EzTune and because I couldn't see a need for the software I just restore C:. I couldn't see a need to even rotate the screen.

If I try it agan sometime I will do what you suggest. Thanks for replying.

I made an image of my C: drive before I installed EzTune and because I couldn't see a need for the software I just restore C:. I couldn't see a need to even rotate the screen.

If I try it agan sometime I will do what you suggest. Thanks for replying.

I think that everyone who owns this display should use EzTune to calibrate it. The before/after comparison is striking.

I thought it might be useful to give a description of what EzTune is and why you might want to run it or not.

First keep in mind that EzTune is entirely optional. It is not a driver and thus does not have to be installed for the monitor to work as a monitor. The Gateway monitor without EzTune will function as any other monitor on the market will perform.

EzTune offers many of the same controls offered in the OSD. OSD stands for On Screen Display which is accessible by using the buttons on the right side of the monitor. EzTune does not duplicate all functions on these menus nor do the buttons offer all the features of EzTune but it does make accessing them a heck of a lot easier.

So what does EzTune offer:
1) Easy access to multiple profiles. You can tweak the monitor for several uses. Set one profile for Day, one for Night, another for Games, Movies, Internet and general text…. Basically as many profiles as you would like. You can access these settings with a simple mouse right click on the desktop and instantly change to any of your saved profiles.

2) All other monitor calibration software generally works by adjusting the graphics card. EzTune on the other hand, sends signals directly to the monitor and allows you to adjust contrast, brightness, RGB and many other settings where they will have the MOST impact. NOTE: The color calibration process is still done in the graphics card.

3) The color calibration wizard in EzTune allows you to adjust much more accurately than your graphics card can. Most graphic card software allows you to adjust a simple curve. EzTune Color Calibration uses 6 points along that same curve to adjust the screen for optimal color accuracy. This was a biggie for me as I do a lot of photography and one of the main reasons I picked the Gateway FPD2485W monitor. I personally compared this process to some of the hardware calibration tools and in my opinion (and I will admit I have reason to be jaded towards EzTune) the EzTune color calibration was more accurate. This may have been because every time I calibrated using the hardware method I got different results. I had two identical monitors and could never get them to match. I originally thought the hardware method would be more accurate and it is possible there are some out there that are. But I find the EzTune Color Calibration to be very accurate.

4) Auto Pivot. Most web pages are designed to fit the lowest common screen size. Thus most major websites are designed for display at 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768. On a monitor with 1920 width you end up with a LOT of wasted real estate on the right side of the monitor. Rotate the monitor and you now can read without having to scroll nearly as much. Going back to the photography, I can’t express how nice it is to be able to launch Photoshop in portrait mode and edit a portrait image at full screen on this 24” monitor. I use a D200 camera and the images fit perfectly on this monitor and look incredible.

5) EzTune offers a Theft Mode but I only recommend you use this is you feel there is a risk of someone taking just the monitor. Make sure you write down your PIN as if it enters Theft Mode, the monitor turns to black and white and displays a theft message in the center of the screen. If you forgot your PIN, you have to call Gateway support to reset the PIN.

6) For the 22 and 24 inch models, we now have PIP controls that allow you to adjust the size, position and even the color settings of your PIP windows all from your desktop. Sure, you could use the buttons on the side of the monitor for some of this, but it’s not nearly as Ez. Pardon the pun.

We are always looking to improve the product so as the support manager, I would like to encourage you to submit support requests if you have any feature requests that we might be able to add to the product. You can post them here and if I see them I will pass it along but the best way is to submit it via our support request form from within EzTune. This of course does not mean we will be able to implement every request.

Hope that helps.
Darv

I installed EzTune 1.3 form the CD and had the same problems. Then downloaded the upgrade to 1.4, uninstalled 1.3, and installed 1.4 and things were fine. So I restored the PC and installed version 1.4 again and it works fine.

I think I may have a bad CD with the version 1.3 because installing from the CD would take much longer and the screen would go black for about 5 minutes with flickers of light.

I keep kickin myself over this GW 24 display and the new Sammy 22 226bw.

What kind of dx10 card am I going to need to buy for either display with all the eye candy turned on?

I keep kickin myself over this GW 24 display and the new Sammy 22 226bw.

What kind of dx10 card am I going to need to buy for either display with all the eye candy turned on?

None. I run Vista on an X1600 video card with all the settings maxed and it looks fine-a-rific on the Gateway.

None. I run Vista on an X1600 video card with all the settings maxed and it looks fine-a-rific on the Gateway.

I wish that some study would be done to match vid cards with displays.

Buy a 8800gtx and you cover everything but you spend $600...wheres the cost benefit? I have a soft modded 7900gt running at 7900gtx speeds but no dx10. Guess my vid card will be fine until the games all start coming out in dx10. Tanks...

Was considering this monitor mainly for ps3 use...good idea? I read 720p games are stretched on this monitor so....not good!

Looking for a decent monitor for ps3 use....any thoughts?

anyone have some good settings for using this with a 360?

I tried it and it has a very washed out look. I've tried vga and component (2). I select the res of 1900x1080 and it's not very sharp and it's washed out.

Thanks for any tips

Yes, for Aero, but not for games, at least, not high res late model games.

I ran Aero on RC2 using a GF6200LE....adequate, but choppy, in flip 3d.

anyone have some good settings for using this with a 360?

I tried it and it has a very washed out look. I've tried vga and component (2). I select the res of 1900x1080 and it's not very sharp and it's washed out.

Thanks for any tips

There is an update out for the 360 that allows you to run at the correct 1920x1200 for the Gateway 24". Me and my buddy play PGR3 all the time and it looks fantastic.

hmm I did the update but 1900x1080 is the only option available? Am I missing something?

Im on my 3rd day with the monitor and I just started noticing some ghosting Green shades seems to make a blue ghost on my monitor so I'm going to have to get this swapped at bestbuy

Darv....I installed the latest version of Eztune, and it does not recognize my display and says the "DDC/CI connection is not possible" ? It is not "seeing" my Gateway.....

eztune.jpg

eztune2.jpg

There is an update out for the 360 that allows you to run at the correct 1920x1200 for the Gateway 24". Me and my buddy play PGR3 all the time and it looks fantastic.

I have yet to see such an update for the 360, mind providing a link? cause it isnt up for downlod.

Edit : Are there black bars while you are playing? cause if so thats your 1:1 pixel maping which doesnt have anything to do with any recent update.

I have yet to see such an update for the 360, mind providing a link? cause it isnt up for downlod.

Edit : Are there black bars while you are playing? cause if so thats your 1:1 pixel maping which doesnt have anything to do with any recent update.

No, no black bars. The 360 is at a friends house and I will be going there this evening. I am almost positive I had the 1920x1200 option, but I may be wrong...errr....come to think of it, maybe I was just mistaking that res for 1080P, which of course IS 1920x1080 :confused:

None the less let me check it this evening and I will post back in this thread.

Back