Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

woo hoo, 30kb/s where do you live maybe ill just come see it, it would probably be faster :p **

**im joking.

edit: i cant get it to play for the life of me... what codec do i need?

They all have extremely noticable backlight bleed- usually in the upper right hand corner. This bleed can be invisible during daylight hours, or with room lights on, but trust me when you are in a dark room with a black screen, you will see it. You will see it with a widescreen movie playing, the upper right hand corner will be quite white where the black horizontal bar is. Some people even get it on all four corners- Gateway designed this monitor with two flourescent bulbs in an "X" formation for the backlight.

They all have a noticeable buzz- don't believe me? Rotate your screen 90 degrees to the right, then place your ear next to where the power cord goes into the BACK of the monitor. You must put your ear on the BACK of the monitor next to the cord input. You'd have to be deaf not to hear it at that exact point- that's where the power supply is and that's where the noise is coming from. Faulty design.

People with good hearing can hear that noise ALL THE TIME even sitting at their desk, in FRONT of the monitor. If you can't hear it in front of your monitor, but can hear it at the back- then I'm sorry, but you simply don't have good hearing anymore.

Units manufactured in December or later have fixed both of these problems. Only problem is, at CompUSA and most Best Buy's the staff remove the orange or yellow stickers that some people have been talking about, and there is no way whatsoever to tell the date of manufacture from the outside of the box. NONE AT ALL. Neither best buy or compusa will let you open the box to find out, either.

Your only solution is to buy it, then open the box in front of them, then if the manufacture date says December you keep it. If it says November, return it again, right in front of them.

They only take those stickers off before they bring the boxes to a customer or to the showroom floor. Those stickers are on all the boxes when they arrive in back.

After you open and return a box in front of them- trust me they will go in the back and find one with the correct manufacturing date, just to get rid of you.

None of the Best Buys in my area remove the stickers, that is how I was able to find a December 2006 model.

Yea I went into a local Best Buy but they didn't have the sticker where it says when it was manufactured. Also they wouldn't accept the price match on Circuit City's website. At least there's two more local Best Buys I can check out.

I am thinking of getting this monitor.

I just got a new computer, and I want to upgrade from my 7 year old 19" monitor to the best quality monitor I can get. The Gateway 24" monitor seems to be the best I have seen at retailers. I don't "game", but I do a lot of image editing in Photoshop, and I like to think I am looking at the best monitor quality image available.

One thing that I am confused on -- the native resolution is 1920 x 1200, which of course is the 16:10 constraint. Other resolutions in that 16:10 constraint would be 1680 x 1050, 1600 x 1000, and 1440 x 900.

My computer gets the 1920 x 1200, but not the others, and so far I have not seen any computer that I have checked at the retailers (Best Buy, CC, CompUSA, Office Depot) that gets those resolutions.

How can anybody change to those resolutions if they want something other than the highest?

I have an Intel Core 2 duo with the integrated Accelerator 3000 video card, and I am hoping I do not need to upgrade my video card, because I do not need to. Like I said, I don't "game". I have been asked about 100 times if I am a "serious gamer", when I was shopping for a computer a few months ago. I tell them I am not even a "frivolous gamer"

Does anybody know how to get the other resolutions?

I am thinking of getting this monitor.

I just got a new computer, and I want to upgrade from my 7 year old 19" monitor to the best quality monitor I can get. The Gateway 24" monitor seems to be the best I have seen at retailers. I don't "game", but I do a lot of image editing in Photoshop, and I like to think I am looking at the best monitor quality image available.

One thing that I am confused on -- the native resolution is 1920 x 1200, which of course is the 16:10 constraint. Other resolutions in that 16:10 constraint would be 1680 x 1050, 1600 x 1000, and 1440 x 900.

My computer gets the 1920 x 1200, but not the others, and so far I have not seen any computer that I have checked at the retailers (Best Buy, CC, CompUSA, Office Depot) that gets those resolutions.

How can anybody change to those resolutions if they want something other than the highest?

I have an Intel Core 2 duo with the integrated Accelerator 3000 video card, and I am hoping I do not need to upgrade my video card, because I do not need to. Like I said, I don't "game". I have been asked about 100 times if I am a "serious gamer", when I was shopping for a computer a few months ago. I tell them I am not even a "frivolous gamer"

Does anybody know how to get the other resolutions?

When you connect this monitor to your PC, Windows will read the EDID from the display. The EDID contains what resolutions the display supports. The video driver will then adjust accordingly to allow you to set to all of the supported 16:10 and 4:3 resolutions. If you don't see these, then the other likely culprit is your video driver. Older drivers (> 1yr old) don't have support for wide screen resolutions. Good luck. You'll love the size of the screen plus the auto-rotation feature as well - surfing the web in portrait mode is GREAT!

Tim-in-CA

They all have extremely noticable backlight bleed- usually in the upper right hand corner. This bleed can be invisible during daylight hours, or with room lights on, but trust me when you are in a dark room with a black screen, you will see it. You will see it with a widescreen movie playing, the upper right hand corner will be quite white where the black horizontal bar is. Some people even get it on all four corners- Gateway designed this monitor with two flourescent bulbs in an "X" formation for the backlight.

They all have a noticeable buzz- don't believe me? Rotate your screen 90 degrees to the right, then place your ear next to where the power cord goes into the BACK of the monitor. You must put your ear on the BACK of the monitor next to the cord input. You'd have to be deaf not to hear it at that exact point- that's where the power supply is and that's where the noise is coming from. Faulty design.

I am noticing both of these issues on my Nov. model. The buzzing isn't too bad, but the backlight bleed is getting worse, particularly in the upper-right and upper-left corners. It's growing by the day. I'm well past Circuit City's 14-day return period on monitors, so I'm headed directly to Gateway for support.

Anyone have experience with Gateway support? Will they be able to cross-ship me a new monitor?

Right now, this is the best panel money can buy at 24 inches, no matter WHAT price.

You can spend 1700 on an imported Sony and you will not get a better picture.

The BenQ or the Dell or the LG or the Samsung will not give you a better picture. The samsung has horrible bleeding on the top and bottom because they have the two backlight tubes at the top and bottom.

If you can find a Gateway December manufactured model, you will have the best 24" LCD money can buy.

The only problem is finding that damn December model. :-(

BTW- everyone who is complaining about ghosting? Try getting a top of the line dual pentium machine with the absolute latest nvidia or ATI card. There is no ghosting. It's all the fault of your video card and CPU being unable to handle the 1920x1200 resolution.

I have a december unit and it's the best freaking LCD monitor I have ever seen. I wish I could turn down the brightness of the tube through a software control panel since it is so amazingly bright, and it does run a bit hot, but the picture on the december models is PERFECT. It even looks almost perfect with VGA connections!

A lot of the haters on this thread simply have slow video cards.

I work at a major un-named CGI firm for a living and I know what I'm talking about. We just ordered 75 of these monitors for our san francisco offices at the former Letterman Hospital Campus. (oops, did I give away where I worked in the Presidio? :) My department has a basically unlimited budget and this is what we chose after comparing everything on the market.

The order specified December manufactured models only.

DO NOT BUY NOVEMBER. PERIOD.

When you connect this monitor to your PC, Windows will read the EDID from the display. The EDID contains what resolutions the display supports. The video driver will then adjust accordingly to allow you to set to all of the supported 16:10 and 4:3 resolutions. If you don't see these, then the other likely culprit is your video driver. Older drivers (> 1yr old) don't have support for wide screen resolutions. Good luck. You'll love the size of the screen plus the auto-rotation feature as well - surfing the web in portrait mode is GREAT!

Tim-in-CA

Okay, I kind of suspected that. But there is more to this: My computer (currently hooked to a 19" CRT monitor) lists in the "settings" part of the display properties window, 15 different screen resolution combinations, from 1920x1440 to 800x600. I can set the monitor to any of these, even though any resolution outside 4:3 will be distorted. I currently have it set at 1152x864. But only one of these 15 settings, the 1920x1200 one, is of the 16:10 aspect ratio of the widescreen Gateway monitor.

So my fundamental question Tim, is this: After I hook up the 24" Gateway, and my computer reads the new EDID information, will I see NEW resolutions, above and beyond the current 15 that I already have? Will I then have the 1680x1050 resolution available?
I am guessing no. The 1680x1050 is the native resolution of the 22" 16:10 widescreen monitors, but it is not currently one of my 15 different resolutions.

By the way, I was at CompUSA yesterday and looked at the settings on the computer that the Gateway 24" monitor was hooked to. It showed the native res. of 1920x1200, but that was the only 16:10 resolution it had. I asked the guy why it did not have the 1680x1050 resolution, but he did not know.

So am I right to assume that I am locked into those 15 resolutions that I already have? Funny thing is, I already have several screen resolution combinations for 16:9, like 1920x1080 and 1600x900 and 1280x720, but only that one for 16:10. Whats up with that?

And then a further question would be - if I was to buy a video card, how could I know what screen resolutions it would support?

Hiya guys, I've been following the thread for a couple of days and noticed some of the earlier posts, I just got the monitor and thought I'd give my experiences of it. I think what I have to say is pretty important because it seems that one person on here so far(pNin01) returned his monitor over a problem that was very easy to solve.
I have it hooked up to my 360 vga and my pc DVI, so for gaming I use my 360 primarily.

When I started with the 360, got it to 1080p through vga and by default the monitor had the video setting to wide, where it stretches the screen vertically to get rid of the black borders on the screen.So any time I would move it to 1:1, in any game I've played, I noticed some really awful tearing. Madden, Rainbow Six, Gears of War, GRAW.. all of them had an awful tear through the center of the screen. If I played the game in the wide mode, it gave me this wierd image problem on certain areas.. sort of like odd lines, it was slightly off. But I figured that was better than the tearing.

Anyways to make a long story short, I was testing out 1:1 again and then I went back to DVI so I can use it as my 2nd monitor, then went back to my 360. At one point I accidently clicked auto, and all of a sudden I was getting no tearing in any of my games. I figured auto option on the menu cured it. Then I went to go back to choose wide mode to see if auto could cure the image problem, it did not. Went back to 1:1 mode, had awful tearing again, this time auto was not working!

Went to DVI to check on some forums, then went back to my game, and tada, tearing and all image problems are gone!

I found out what the problem was. Any time I went from any other image scale mode back to 1:1, it had terrible tearing on the center of the screen. All you need to do is either go to something like DVI and then back to AVI, that way it refreshes, and the tearing is gone. Or you can just simply turn your monitor off and turn it back on.Since doing this I've noticed absolutely NO TEARING in VGA 1080p with 1:1 on, no ghosting, no anything. Just a perfect picture.

I can highly reccommend this monitor for use with the 360, although I have not played any PC games on it. Hope that helps.

So am I right to assume that I am locked into those 15 resolutions that I already have? Funny thing is, I already have several screen resolution combinations for 16:9, like 1920x1080 and 1600x900 and 1280x720, but only that one for 16:10. Whats up with that?
I can't speak for the integrated video you have, but I believe that on an nVidia card (and maybe ATI, again, I don't have one) you can add "custom" resolutions. As far as I understand it, the trick is that the card itself is responsible for centering or stretching the resolution you choose, so you can effectively choose any resolution you want, and the monitor is none the wiser. So for instance, you could set a custom resolution of 1680 by 1050 and instruct the video card to stretch it. The result is that your applications will run at the resolution you choose (provided they support it), but from the monitor's point of view, it's still receiving a resolution it supports (1920 by 1200) because the hardware on the video card is stretching the image to this resolution before the monitor receives it.

I haven't really played with this feature much, so maybe others could confirm whether I'm correct and give you more information about how to do this. It's possible your current video adapter supports something similar to this as well, but again, I'd be the wrong person to ask.

Good morning every one! Just got my Gateway FPD2485W on Friday, Wow! Love it! 2 questions though...

1 How do I tell what Ver I have? Nov or Dec? Their were no batch stickers on the box
2 I am planing to purchase a PS3. I saw a post where Ferris23 purchased a switcher from monoprice to hook his PC & PS3 into the DVI at the same time for 1080P. Can you post the link for that Switch? Also how do you hook up your Ps3 sound through that switcher?

Last if anyone can post some Ps3 pics at 1080P I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Good morning every one! Just got my Gateway FPD2485W on Friday, Wow! Love it! 2 questions though...

1 How do I tell what Ver I have? Nov or Dec? Their were no batch stickers on the box
2 I am planing to purchase a PS3. I saw a post where Ferris23 purchased a switcher from monoprice to hook his PC & PS3 into the DVI at the same time for 1080P. Can you post the link for that Switch? Also how do you hook up your Ps3 sound through that switcher?

Thanks

Usualy you gotta have a close friend to ask tech questions..But Im sure someone will chime in..

BTW..Welcome to Hard OCP!!

Uhh, Ferris, you can see the ghosting on some of the pictures you have taken.

Picture you took:

6664wo.jpg

Ghosting parts highlighted:

untitled1dc1.jpg

The easiest way to see it on Vegas is when you look at the shadows/shade, quickly move the screen from left to right, do you not see that weird ass dark trail that it leaves behind?

I contacted Gateway support, and after a brief e-mail exchange they'll be cross-shipping me a new monitor. No charge on my end, which is very nice.

I probably can't specify a manufacturing month, so I'll get the luck of the draw. But given my complaints and the complaints of others, I'm hopeful that I'll get a unit without the backlight bleed direct from Gateway.

First of all I don't know what you are highligting in the pictures as I think that was a still shot, it certainly was not ghosting. Now movement taken from a camera results in trails, however it's not from the monitor. And I didn't notice any "weird ass trails" in R6 Vegas.

In fact that shot was taken still and up close to try and show detail, not movement. Again I have no idea what you are seeing, your display must be off if that shot looks like it has ghosting.

Does anyone know if running the EzTune drivers will get rid of the distortion when running 1080p through vga and stretching it? I'm afraid to run it because the monitor is perfect now, I'm afraid I might get some of the ghosting and other problems people speak of that I don't have.

Thanks

Look on the back of the display, there is a sticker on it with the date.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2

Does anyone know if running the EzTune drivers will get rid of the distortion when running 1080p through vga and stretching it? I'm afraid to run it because the monitor is perfect now, I'm afraid I might get some of the ghosting and other problems people speak of that I don't have.

I use 1:1 when playing my 360 in 1920x1080 via the vga cable. I dont know if drivers can fix the stretching. I just picked this badboy up from frys for 670 and some change and I love it.

Thanks Ferris... But you didnt answer how you do adio for your ps3.... Don't you loose audio from your hdmi when you go through the switcher? Are you useing optical out from your PS3?

You simply need to go to the monitor Video Settings and change the scaling setting to 1:1 ... you'll now get letterboxed 1080p (small black bars top and bottom). Some users sometimes see a horizontal tear in the video. The solutions is to do an AUTO (from the mini-menu) or turn the monitor on and off.

Tim-in-CA

Yeah the tearing is a non issue after the display is calibrated. I don't need to turn my monitor on and off every time I play 360. 360 is the only thing hooked to my VGA port so the settings never change, and the tearing has been gone since the first power cycle/auto calibrate. Also why would you want to run your 360 out of 1:1 mode in 1080p?

Leave it at 1:1 you loose minimal space by the aspect bars and your image is flawless.

As far as audio from the PS3 when using the HDMI, one really nice feature of the PS3 is that you can use 2 video/audio connections at one time. So I have a component set of cables from my PS2 that also work with the PS3. You just hook the red and white audio portion of those cables to your sound device. Then when you go into the PS3 settings, you select HDMI for video and Component/Composite connection for your audio. So in effect the audio is coming out of 1 set of cables and the video from another. Works great and was by design.

Also if you have a system with optical audio you can use the optical audio output on the PS3 instead of the component/composite. Bottom line is you are not bound by your video input method to how you achieve audio out of the PS3.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, eagerly awaiting the delivery of my FPD2485W...

Just wanted to pass along to you all that this monitor is on sale at CircuitCity for $624.99 (online only?). You can get it for even less if you have a 10% off coupon and/or a cash-back affiliate (such as FatWallet.com). Or try price matching at BB or such...

It could have been had for $20 even cheaper yesterday (after rebate), but I could not post it then because my forum membership wasn't 'approved' yet by the moderator.

-flounder.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, eagerly awaiting the delivery of my FPD2485W...

Just wanted to pass along to you all that this monitor is on sale at CircuitCity for $624.99 (online only?). You can get it for even less if you have a 10% off coupon and/or a cash-back affiliate (such as FatWallet.com). Or try price matching at BB or such...

It could have been had for $20 even cheaper yesterday (after rebate), but I could not post it then because my forum membership wasn't 'approved' yet by the moderator.

-flounder.
Welcome, flounder. Be sure to post your impressions after you've gotten a chance to play with your new toy. :)

Nice pic's... It's a sweet screen isn't it :)

Yesterday I discovered one pixel stuck on red. It's not in a very obvious location thankfully, and only noticeable on a light coloured background. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I got the screen, so it must have developed over the past few days.

On a side note... Has anyone come up with a fix for the EzTune software crashing the nVidia driver control panel?

WOW!! Awsome!!! What game is that? 1080P? Thanks! How do you insert pics? I want to post some of mine

Yeah, it looks good. but this buzzing noise and ghosting issue gives me me headache :(

This one - no ghosting and screen quality is amazing, but it's only 20. Dunno what to do....

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

Wow looks nice the pics. You can read the text on the screen at 1920 x 1200. People say the the text look burry but, as you can see it's legible even through another persons Gateway 24" LoL

P.S The Gateway 24" compliments your setup nicely as compared to the Nec 20"

I picked up this monitor today from best buy. I haven't noticed any of the negative issues with the monitor mentioned in this thread so far except for one thing.

It's frickin bright!!!! Way too bright. Turning the brightness down doesn't help at all.

WoW looks great though, just wish I could turn the brightness down further.

However the colors are much better than they were on my Dell 2001FP.

Back