Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

Hey everyone, its my first post here, a friend got me to sign up when i got the Gateway 2485WH and started noticing issues, both on this display, and the display at Future Shop.

Basically put, I love the monitor for the brightness (a little too bright sometimes :p) and the range of colours. For pictures its awesome, however after about 5 minutes of gaming i started to notice a lot of shadowing. When theres two contrasting colours overlaying one another and you move around a little, one will sort of bleed into the other, usually with darker shade then either of the origional colours, sometimes retaining a little of the detail on the texture, for example, horizontal bars intersecting a pillar, and I can see horizontal lines across the pillar if I move around. Everything goes back to how it should be as soon as I stop moving, but for gaming (even movies) this is a pretty big issue.

Since I haven't seen anyone else bring this up yet I'm wondering if its just the WH revision that has this issue. I tested DVI, VGA, Component and composite, and it happened every time, I will email gateway and ask them about the issue in the next few days.

I wasn't aware that there was any revision of this monitor. A google search for FPD2485WH doesn't bring up any hits. Are you sure this is a revised version? If so, this is the first I've heard of it.

Hey everyone, its my first post here, a friend got me to sign up when i got the Gateway 2485WH and started noticing issues, both on this display, and the display at Future Shop.

Basically put, I love the monitor for the brightness (a little too bright sometimes :p) and the range of colours. For pictures its awesome, however after about 5 minutes of gaming i started to notice a lot of shadowing. When theres two contrasting colours overlaying one another and you move around a little, one will sort of bleed into the other, usually with darker shade then either of the origional colours, sometimes retaining a little of the detail on the texture, for example, horizontal bars intersecting a pillar, and I can see horizontal lines across the pillar if I move around. Everything goes back to how it should be as soon as I stop moving, but for gaming (even movies) this is a pretty big issue.

Since I haven't seen anyone else bring this up yet I'm wondering if its just the WH revision that has this issue. I tested DVI, VGA, Component and composite, and it happened every time, I will email gateway and ask them about the issue in the next few days.

I don't know which rev I have or how to tell, but I have done extensive playing and testing on mine and haven't noticed that at all.

It's sounds like you are talking about tearing.

Isn't that just when the video card updates faster then the refresh rate and displays another image halfway down the screen? vsync basically eliminates that, but if I get my main system up and running again today I'll try to make an animation of what I see (my digital camera can't catch it unfortunately)

I don't know which rev I have or how to tell, but I have done extensive playing and testing on mine and haven't noticed that at all.

should be on the back of the monitor, mine is in the bottom left corner when looking at it from behind

I wasn't aware that there was any revision of this monitor. A google search for FPD2485WH doesn't bring up any hits. Are you sure this is a revised version? If so, this is the first I've heard of it.

and I'm not 100% sure if this is a new revision but mine says WH on the label, so if it isn't a revision then i guess its just 2 busted panels (manufacture date is Nov 2006)

and I'm not 100% sure if this is a new revision but mine says WH on the label, so if it isn't a revision then i guess its just 2 busted panels (manufacture date is Nov 2006)

If you open up the main menu and go to the Advanced tap then select Information it will give you the rev number mine is OSD Vers: GA4.2. Seems like most of these monitors were manufactured in Nov 2006.

What type of Video Card do you have? Do you have another computer you can try the monitor on? It is possible it is your video card but also check and see if the monitor is extra hot.

Its not overly hot, but I've seen it on 3 video cards so far, a sapphire 1950xt, stock Radeon x1600pro (at Futureshop) and now on my laptop through VGA which shows the issue even more.

As for where its listed as WH... well, everywhere, the sticker on the front, above the serial number on the back and on the box it came in.

I'll have pics in a bit, as for right now, my laptop doesn't really have anything on it at the moment.

revision is also GA4.2

I would think the OSD version is only the On Screen Display software revision, not sure that would have anything to do with the revision of the panel itself.

Let me start by saying that my writing sucks. Oh well, Here it goes…

My Gateway 24” monitor was delivered on thursday. I’ve been following this thread for quite some time. I wanted a 24” monitor that offered 1:1, PIP, and is fit for gaming. Currently the Gateway is the only monitor that offers all those options together. First impressions are so so.

My unit isn’t loud or noisy but there’s a slight buzzing or frying noise (yikes!) that comes from the rear. The noise varies in volume but most of the time, to hear the buzzing noise, you have to put your ear about 12 inches away from the rear of the unit. I have a semi-silent PC and the only noise I can hear while using the monitor is my PC. Noise isn’t an issue (for me at least) :)

This unit replaced my good ol’ trusty View sonic Vp912b 19” (4:3) LCD monitor. I’ve yet to do any side by side comparisons but this monitor appears to be a little crisper in windows. Games are a different story (below).

I ran the “EZ-Tune” and setup the display as best I could. I quickly fired up the Driving Game GTR2. Menus seemed okay but when I got to the actual Driving the graphics seemed a bit dull. Who knows? Maybe I need to mess with the display settings some more. What was much more disturbing is that I’m getting ghosting (only on very small objects, but not all). That’s my smaller issue. The bigger issue that I have is that the display stutters while driving slower turns. Not all the time but enough for me to not enjoy the game. I’m figuring that I’m now running 1920X1200 graphics, that this might have an effect in gaming (duh). I switched the resolution back to 1280x1024, fired up the game, started driving and it seemed to be much better. There was still stuttering (slightly) but it seemed much better. So I may need to over clock my system a bit because I didn’t buy this monitor to play games @1280x1024 . Oh yeah, The yellow cars also have some blue ghosting to it (only when the car is far away read:small).

You see what happens when you buy something new, you‘re at a heightened sense of awareness. You may notice an issue that probably existed before but didn’t really pay any attention to it. Now since you have a new piece of equipment you are looking deeply for problems, which probably isn’t what you do with the older setup.

I know that I need to over clock my system a bit (details below) to be able to cope with the higher resolutions. I thought that stock, my system should be enough, or maybe there is a problem with the monitor? I’m going to play with it over the weekend and compare it side-by-side with my view sonic. If I can’t get the graphics to be a bit more vibrant in games and reduce the ghosting I may have to return it. Right now it isn’t looking to good.

What about the Samsung 244t? Anyone here have any experience with it?
System Specs:

E6600, Intel BX2, 2GB OCZ PC8200, ATI 512MB X1800XT, 520w King win Power Supply, Blue Gears Inspirer Soundcard, 400Gig Seagate 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording)

My driving setup
IMG_0616.JPG

Normal Setup
PICT0061.JPG

PICT0065.JPG

My Rig
PICT0048.JPG

PICT0044.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

W1
IMG_0668.JPG

Finally got some ram installed in my system again so here we go :
Gateway2485WH.jpg

And here is basically what I see in regards to shadowing (using the forum colours) :

shadowing.gif

it gets worse then that in games, but I cant really show that very well (digital camera dosent catch it)

Ok guys you have seen me in the last few pages bitching about my monitors buzzing. I work at a place that sells pc's and the demo did it too. Also my room mates did the same. Well i said fuck it, we got a new shipment so i exchanged it. The new one IS FUCKING SILENT OH GOD YES! Lets just say my last monitor was so loud that it would give me a headache within 10-20 min. This new one is so quiet i cannot hear it even when a console is hooked up to it only! Yes my ps2 is 1000x louder than this monitor. There is hope guys if your panel buzzes! Yes it is a damn defect exhange it or have gateway fix it (ya RIGHT hahah). What made we swap my first one is that my roommates is quieter so i figured at least it would be better. YAY!

Also I noticed none of the monitors had a single dead pixel which is kinda cool. Now the smearing people are noticeing I will see if mine has it. Is there a dead set easy way to see it?

Gateway2485WH.jpg

And here is basically what I see in regards to shadowing (using the forum colours) :

shadowing.gif

it gets worse then that in games, but I cant really show that very well (digital camera dosent catch it)

WTF WH? hahha I just checked mine I just got from a new shipment and its Nov 2006 too. But doesnt have the WH on it. strange! :confused:

Just took a look at mine on the back, it has the FPD2485WH with a Nov2006 manufacture date. It also has the wh on the sticker on the fornt lower right side. Im still unsure about this monitor after a couple days............and the BenQ looks so tempting except it is impossible to get the latest firmware model.

Now the smearing people are noticeing I will see if mine has it. Is there a dead set easy way to see it?

You'll see it on these forums when you scroll, otherwise just load up any game (shows up best with FPS games) then just move and look left/right whilefocusing on a certain feature or model (pillars in front of a wall of a different colour generally brings it out).

Chances are, if you havent noticed it in 2 days, you probably wont notice it at all, unless you go looking for it. I am also the only one out of my friends that can see rainbowing with DLP. :(

I'm waiting for a response from Gateway as to whether this is a known issue or I'm just crazy.

On the plus side, I havent had any buzzing issues, nor dead pixels, aside from updating poorly, this is an awesome monitor.

Gateway2485WH.jpg

shadowing.gif

Dude that is terrible. Mine is not like that at all. That is really odd about the H, I can't for the life of me figure what it means.

However I have no ghosting, smearing, tearing or buzzing and I have a W. Either the H's suck, or you just got 2 duds, which is also possible.

Gateway2485WH.jpg

shadowing.gif

yep, mine did the EXACT same thing. this and the fact red or blue text over a black background was always fuzzy. AND 720p output from my ps3 was not kept at a 16:9 ratio, but stretched to fill the entire screen.

i also found the longer i had the monitor, black light bleed from the corners became MUCH more predominant and the 'smearing' continued to get worse and worse.

to summarize...
i returned the monitor to best buy.:rolleyes:

Dude that is terrible. Mine is not like that at all. That is really odd about the H, I can't for the life of me figure what it means.

However I have no ghosting, smearing, tearing or buzzing and I have a W. Either the H's suck, or you just got 2 duds, which is also possible.

Hmmm

Well that is intersting all right.

As I mentined in an earlier posting: I have no ghosting, smearing or buzzing.

Now not to label this as the possible cause, but mine also is a W.

To those of you who have a WH does the box lables / stickers say WH as well?

Best

JMD

Ok. I am going to try and keep this simple. First off this is my first ever post at hardforum and look forward to many post to come. My questions concern the FPD2485W and connecting both my Xbox 360 and PS3.

Visual: I will be connecting the 360 via vga. The PS3 will be connected with hdmi/dvi. What is the best and easiest way for a noob like me to get things running smoothly with both at 1080p?

Sound: Well now for what seems to me at least the hard part. I have ordered the TDX soundbar for the monitor. How do I get the sound for both to work with both being connected?

Also consider that if I have to get the results I want with the sacrifice being not having my pc connected I am at this time fine with that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I have skimmed through this large thread on the monitor and picked up a few tidbits. Basically I am trying to say please don't flame me if this info has been presented in past posts. I will start at page one and work my way up in the meantime. :)

I just did some online tech support and heres what I got form 2 techs about the W and WH models:

"we do not have a FPD2485WH model of monitor. Only FPD2485W. If you have seen a FPD2485WH model, it is possible that is is justa retail name meaning that the monitor that was sold outside Gateway may have been labeled with an additional letter."

"based here in my information, they are virtually the same all of the specs and capability. The only difference with them is the released and where these monitor were released."

My monitor is the WH and I purchased it at Future Shop in Canada.

maybe the WH uses a different panel?

The version with the H at the end is for sale in Canada only. This version has dual language packaging with English / French (as required by law). I don't think that there is any functional difference with the USA version.

You can play at any resolution and just use 1:1, the image wont be full screen but your video card wont choke.

Also, I was able to use a coupon just like this to get 12% off. YMMV, but mine was expired and BB still took it. Dont buy that BS about it not scanning, if they wan't to do it they can. I just sold the manager on the fact that this monitor is also an HDTV and as such should be included.

598.00+ tax was my price.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/external/emailpdf/011107_mlk_couponsa.pdf

OK....I have only played with my fpd2485W for 1 weekend.

It seems that most people on these types of forums are correct (i've been here and at dell).

My 2 cents are:

DONT EXPECT THE EXTRA INPUTS (component, composite, s-video) TO WORK LIKE A REGULAR TV. For some reason they just don't look as good as you would expect a TV to look. This is what i see... have any of you guys tried watching regular TV on this thing?
All the inputs work on my monitor but the picture quality just isn't up to par with a normal TV.

The gateway PIP is pretty sweet. I'm watching the NFL playoffs through s-video on a 8.5" screen in the corner as i'm writing this. There is still PLENTY of room left on my 24"'er with the PIP and browser up. The software that comes with this thing makes managing the PIP easy. Bad thing is that when i try to watch TV at "fullscreen" it doesn't look as good as any regular TV. Could be a combo of my cheap directv box and the fact that i'm sitting 1.5 feet away from this huge 24" monitor. But while watching through the PIP image it looks great.

As for being a monitor... so far it's great. Tons of room. Sweet colors. I ran the tests on "Dead Pixel Test" and found no dead pixels but i do notice vert/horiz banding. But that very well could be my cheap radeon 9600 video card. I'm running through DVI. I haven't noticed banding without looking at color bars though (meaning while using the monitor for normal things).

As for XBOX360. Everyone is correct. Running it through the VGA cable at 1080 is the best picture you're gonna get. In fact, you get scared at first because the colors look like crap when you're in the xbox dashboard but the actual games look SSWEEETTT!!!! Haven't played for a good few hours straight yet cuz i'm testing everything out.... but i know that when i actually play and stop looking for "what i can find wrong with the pic quality" i'm gonna love it.

My thinking is that all these 24" monitors (dell, gateway, samsung) added extra inputs just because they could... but that the most attention to detail was paid to the vga/dvi input. Which makes sense because they're monitors and not TV's.

I have 30 more days to test this er so if anyone has a question i'll keep checking back for a few days. So far it's a keeper but then again it's only been a few days.

Good luck.
Please reply if anyone is seeing good results with watching TV.

Ok. I am going to try and keep this simple. First off this is my first ever post at hardforum and look forward to many post to come. My questions concern the FPD2485W and connecting both my Xbox 360 and PS3.

Visual: I will be connecting the 360 via vga. The PS3 will be connected with hdmi/dvi. What is the best and easiest way for a noob like me to get things running smoothly with both at 1080p?

Sound: Well now for what seems to me at least the hard part. I have ordered the TDX soundbar for the monitor. How do I get the sound for both to work with both being connected?

Also consider that if I have to get the results I want with the sacrifice being not having my pc connected I am at this time fine with that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I have skimmed through this large thread on the monitor and picked up a few tidbits. Basically I am trying to say please don't flame me if this info has been presented in past posts. I will start at page one and work my way up in the meantime. :)

Can only comment on Xbox 360: Set monitor to 1:1, then Xbox 360 to 1920 x 1080. If the image flickers or you have other issues, try cycling the monitor on/off. If that doesn't work, cycle it with no other active inputs connected.

Occasionally, I have issues when I switch to different inputs and back to the Xbox, or if I change certain settings, including the aspect ratio.

Good luck.

I have the same results as you. The only way I got the 1920 x 1080 setting to work on VGA with 1:1 is to turn off your monitor and turn it back on. When the monitor autodetects the VGA input signal, the flickering line in the middle will be gone. From this point on it will be good. However, if you do mess with the Video Scaling and make it set to Zoom or Wide and back to 1:1 it will reappear again. You have to shut off the monitor and turn it back on again to get rid of it.

Thanks! Your suggestion worked fine, though I'm finding this monitor to be a little touchy.

DONT EXPECT THE EXTRA INPUTS (component, composite, s-video) TO WORK LIKE A REGULAR TV. For some reason they just don't look as good as you would expect a TV to look. This is what i see... have any of you guys tried watching regular TV on this thing?
All the inputs work on my monitor but the picture quality just isn't up to par with a normal TV.

The gateway PIP is pretty sweet. I'm watching the NFL playoffs through s-video on a 8.5" screen in the corner as i'm writing this. There is still PLENTY of room left on my 24"'er with the PIP and browser up. The software that comes with this thing makes managing the PIP easy. Bad thing is that when i try to watch TV at "fullscreen" it doesn't look as good as any regular TV. Could be a combo of my cheap directv box and the fact that i'm sitting 1.5 feet away from this huge 24" monitor. But while watching through the PIP image it looks great.

"Regular" - (I assume you mean Standard Definition, not HD) TV signals do not look as good as a CRT display because SD signals are low resolution (480i, or 720x480). So the LCD has to deinterlace and upscale this low resolution to the Gateway's resolution, which is significantly larger. The reason PIP looks so good is because the small "window" in which the PIP signal is being displayed is closer in resolution to the SD television signal.

This is not a problem solely with the Gateway - my $1500 1080p LCD does not scale SD signals particularly well, and I'd much rather view SD content on a CRT-based HDTV than an LCD-based one.

If you were to view the SD television signal using 1:1 pixel mapping, the image would be sharp, but hopelessly tiny.

Does it exist any site at all that can ship this display to Europe or even better; a site that sell the display in Europe? I have been searcing a lot but so far I'm come up empty.

Thanks for any help I can get, Oh I want this display so bad :p

Originally posted by aaronjb
"Regular" - (I assume you mean Standard Definition, not HD) TV signals do not look as good as a CRT display because SD signals are low resolution (480i, or 720x480). So the LCD has to deinterlace and upscale this low resolution to the Gateway's resolution, which is significantly larger. The reason PIP looks so good is because the small "window" in which the PIP signal is being displayed is closer in resolution to the SD television signal.

This is not a problem solely with the Gateway - my $1500 1080p LCD does not scale SD signals particularly well, and I'd much rather view SD content on a CRT-based HDTV than an LCD-based one.

If you were to view the SD television signal using 1:1 pixel mapping, the image would be sharp, but hopelessly tiny.

Thanks, i kinda figured that something was happening during the upscale. Makes sense. But i can't help but wonder why higher def video doesn't look as good as most TV's do even when you use the component inputs. I've only tried the XBOX360 through these inputs and it's just not as good as my 50" Sony DLP TV. I just don't know if it's the XBOX360 that looks kinda crappy through component or if everything does also.

I think I'll try watching some HD video and TV using the component inputs tonight. Have you tried the XBOX 360 via VGA? I use my XBOX 360 and the HD-DVD add-on via VGA at 1920x1080 on my Westinghouse 37w3, and it's amazing.

Maybe the component inputs aren't up to par on the Gateway?

Thanks, i kinda figured that something was happening during the upscale. Makes sense. But i can't help but wonder why higher def video doesn't look as good as most TV's do even when you use the component inputs. I've only tried the XBOX360 through these inputs and it's just not as good as my 50" Sony DLP TV. I just don't know if it's the XBOX360 that looks kinda crappy through component or if everything does also.

well, i now i have a problem with this monitor. it's starting to buzz now when i turn on the monitor. it's also taking a long time to turn on. like the other user posted, the gateway logo would stay on the screen for about 1-2 minutes then the dvi connection logo comes on for 1-2 minutes..

not sure if this is due the the colder weather and the screen needing to warm up or something. but it's starting to bug me.

can't return it now because my 14 days are up and none of the CC's in my area have it in stock.

I think I'll try watching some HD video and TV using the component inputs tonight. Have you tried the XBOX 360 via VGA? I use my XBOX 360 and the HD-DVD add-on via VGA at 1920x1080 on my Westinghouse 37w3, and it's amazing.

Yes... I currently do use the vga input for my xbox360. Last night i found out that games like Dead or Alive, Madden and Table Tennis look pretty damn good. DOA looks AMAZING!. Some other games (like Fight Night Round3) just look OK.

Other then that, i have no problems. No buzzing. Turns on fairly quick every time. No backlight problem.

Let me know how higher def video looks through the component inputs.

Aeon - My monitor did that too. Fortunately I was able to return it. If I was you and you can't return it for a replacement at least get the warranty so they can repair it. Sometimes when they repair them they will actually work better for a much longer period of time but of coarse sometimes they don't. :(

Back