• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gateway FPD2185W 21" DVI Problems

SpecR1

n00b
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
27
Hi
first off i would like to say that i love this monitor but this is my second time with the same problem.

i use DVI connection and it works for a few weeks then after that it stops working
Like it would work the night before and i go to sleep. Then i wake up the next morning and i get a "no signal" message from my monitor. I have tested it on 2 different computers.
one computer will give a display until windows loads
the other will give no display at all.
but VGA still works and i haven't tested the other video inputs

so this is my 2nd gateway fpd2185w that did this. the first one i just exchanged but now im starting to think it maybe user error or is there a way to fix this

so anyone else have this problem?

edit:
specs on comp 1
asus a8n-e mb
sapphire x800xl
amd x2 4400+

specs on comp 2
some intel board
ati 9800 pro
pentium 2.53ghz

im 100% sure its not video card or cable problem so it has to be the monitor
 
Did you check your resolution and refresh rate to make sure they are in spec on both computers (1680x1050 at 60Hz)?
 
yes i did, i also tried smaller resolutions and that didn't work either
im currently using the VGA because DVI doesnt' work. but i do regually check to see if the DVI just magically works again

i talked to 5 diff gateway reps and 2 said it was a common problem and 3 said it wasn't
and their trouble shooting advice was no good.

another question, are dead pixels common? because im gonna exchange this one if theres no fix for the DVI but i dont want to get antoher one with dead pixels
 
also, could it be that something like my DVI cable or Video card is messing up the monitors DVI port?
 
SpecR1 said:
im 100% sure its not video card or cable problem so it has to be the monitor

SpecR1 said:
also, could it be that something like my DVI cable or Video card is messing up the monitors DVI port?

Have you tried using a different cable? That would be the first thing i would check.
 
SpecR1, I have the same experience just as you. The first Gateway 2185 I bought on sale in Futurershop had a dead pixel in the near middle so I had it exchanged before I was able to test it with a DVI cable that I bought 2 days later. But the second Gatway 2185 was a trouble maker to me. It appeared perfectly under VGA mode, but it seemed unable to work with either the Asus6800 ultra or ATI850XT under DVI mode(PC refused to post up at all with such a connection) When I changed to an ATI 9800pro I saw DVI work until the Windows loaded. Changing DVI cable to 70$ one didn't help out, changing PSU to Anitec 550 truep solved nothing, but when I tested my system with another NEC 19" display I saw DVI work on both of ATI and NVIDIA cards I have. This made me decide the problem might be from the monitor's side. So I went to the Futureshop again when they had no stock of new ones but a few of open boxes. I tested in their store with another gateway display in the open box returned by a costmer 1 day before. And guess what? That display had the exact same problem of detecting DVI signals. I returned the gateway which I had prepared to exchanged with another one.

As for now, I am with a viewsonic 1912wb 19' which I am happy with. No more troubles in finding out DVI, no more colour banding or washouted pic in the games or movie, no humming sound into your ears when you sit by it, but it does have a 1/2 price of the Gateway.
 
seniorpaul said:
Have you tried using a different cable? That would be the first thing i would check.

ya i did try a different cable, the first one that had this problem i brought it to the future shop techs to test it with their cables/computers and it iddn't work so i exchanged it.

@dkianc
thx for the reply, im happy to say that its the monitors problem and not my cable or my computer setup. ill be exchanging this monitor for another one from future shop when they have stock in. i love this monitor and i dont think i can go any smaller =) and this is the cheapest 21 inch on the market with good features and specs.

i read in another post that colour banding and video game lag is fixed when u use DVI connection and force it to run @ 75hz

and the humming sound is fixed by turning up the brigtness
 
No prob. Would you post the result after the exchange if you dont mind, thx :)
 
ya. i will
but im gonna try to get the techs to test it there first so i dont have to bring it home and bring it back etc.
but if the techs test it and it works i hope it doesn't just magically stop working after a few weeks like my first 2 monitors
 
just got a new one. DVI works. no dead pixels
but i have a "X" shaped backlight, its very faint and i can't even notice it
is it common for this monitor to have the backlight when it first turns on.?
i never noticed the backlight problem in my old monitors because i never knew to look for it until i read the gateway post here.

even though i can' tnotice it im a lil freaked out about it :eek:
 
I'm on my third one and every single one has the X pattern backlight problem. It's way too late to return it to where I bought it, so I'm just a tad peeved.
 
flwolf said:
I'm on my third one and every single one has the X pattern backlight problem. It's way too late to return it to where I bought it, so I'm just a tad peeved.

is yours noticible? like are there different degress of the X backlight?
or are all the monitors the same, the ones with it
 
SpecR1 said:
is yours noticible? like are there different degress of the X backlight?
or are all the monitors the same, the ones with it
The first two were very much alike. The third one has more bleeding in the right hand corner than the other two.
 
well i restarted my computer and my DVI stopped working,,,,,,,,,, again..
anyone talk to gateway or anything on what is causing this ?
 
I talked to both Gateway and ATI about this issue. The cat 5.10 or 5.11 fixed the problem for me, at first I thought it was a HDCP communication problem, but apparently since no video cards support HDCP, it wasn't. Needless to say, it's an ATI issue and you'll need to update your cats if you are running 5.7,5.8 or 5.9s. I'm not sure if the 5.10s had the issue but your best bet is just going to the latest 6.2s. I was having the problems with my BBA X800XL.
 
i was using omegadrivers based on the catalyst 6.1
im gonna uninstall them and use the ones from ati.com

downloading 6.2 atm

so if its a drivers problem i dont see how it would work for a few weeks/months then stop workign all of a sudden
 
Its not an ATI only issue as I am having the same problem now after upgrading to a 7800gt. I was running for over a week with a 9500np and had no issue when connected via DVI. Nothing but problems after the first day the 7800gt was in use. Gonna try another PCIe card tomorrow to double check, otherwise its return time for the monitor.
 
i installed the drivers and its still not working
any specific settings i have to change in the catalyst control centre?
 
Does DVI work when you hot plug it? My problem was I couldn't boot with DVI plugged in. When I booted with VGA plugged in, then plugged in and enabled DVI through windows, it worked fine. But then on every reboot, I wouldn't even get a post screen when DVI was plugged in. Once I upgraded my Cats, it took care of the problem.
 
how do i enable DVI through windows? the CCC doesn't have a option to enable or disable DVI
 
i just exchanged the monitor for a new one
i believe its just a monitor probem and not anything to do with the drivers or video card
 
I actually pulled the EzTune software out of the system and everything seems to be working fine now for 2 days. I did upgrade my drivers but that didnt solve the problem. Strange but its back to normal now and everything seems to be working just fine.
 
Just jumping into the fray now. I've had this monitor for about 2 weeks now and just love it. No dead pixels, consistent backlighting, no buzzing and DVI works great except.... When I first logon or wakeup after screensaver , the DVI input logo stays on the screen for about 30 seconds now. At first it would disappear after a few seconds. It's my only complaint and as I said, I'm happy with it otherwise and don't feel justified in returning (and getting unlucky with a worse one). Working with a GeForce 6800 Ultra on a dual monitor rig (Viewsonic VA720 on the other VGA output)
 
stevo that happened with my old one too
i fixed it by unplugging the power in the back then re-plugging it
and it fixed the 30~sec delay from booting up.
 
Back
Top