Gateway Factory CD

I have a Gateway NX860XL w/ Vista home Prem. I have a factory CD that came with it. If I wanted to get rid of all their programs and behind the scenes apps will the factory cd do a clean install or will it replace all that junk (Mcafee, etc) right back on? Should I get used to uninstalling things and do they really fully uninstall. I think I need a program cleaner app heh.

Otherwise if I can get some bloat out it's awesome. :)

It's not a CD, it's a DVD.

And, for your sake, I hope you have a blank DVD handy because you're going to need it. The DVD that came with the laptop will not do a true factory restore. I've learned this recently from my own hands on experience when I purchased a Gateway MX6931 laptop in November.

The factory DVD will restore the OS itself and only the OS itself - it will not restore drivers, it will not restore the applications and software packages that were preinstalled for you at the factory. Those items require you to use the Gateway Recovery DVD application on the Start Menu to make yourself a Recovery DVD that will restore all the factory drivers as well as the applications and the software packages.

So, if you're looking just to take the laptop back to a Vista-only installation, you can do that with the factory DVD they included, because that's all it will restore for you. If you want to keep the drivers, the applications, and the software packages (I have no idea why, I didn't, there's nothing there worth having in my opinion but to each his own), then you must burn that other DVD before you wipe the laptop with the factory DVD - if you don't, you'll lose the drivers, the applications, and the software packages forever.

As I said before and I'll say it again:

The factory included DVD will not restore drivers, applications, or the software packages - that's why they include the utility on the Start Menu to make the second DVD yourself.

Hope this helps...

ps
You can always download the latest drivers from Gateway's website anyway. At the bare minimum you should always keep the NIC drivers downloaded, extracted, and in a safe place so after a reinstallation or a factory restore you can get online to get all the others.

I have a Gatway desktop that i bought last year that came with the DVD and it reinstalled everything like it was the day i bought it, drivers and all, i didnt have to burn anything. I guess it depends on what model you have.

Crap im sorry mine runs XP, i should have read closer.

Back