Gateway Destination XTV - worth it?

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
I have the opportunity to get a Gateway Destination XTV-366c computer and its monitor for $125. Unfortunately it does not include the wireless keyboard or remote, but I've seen those on eBay for a price. I would really just be using this for a tv tuner and maybe to record some shows. I don't know what OS or software I would put on it yet, suggestions are appreciated. Also I was hoping to switch out the motherboard and processor to a mid range athlon, since it only comes with a celeron 366mhz (eww). The case seems to be standard ATX so I hope to not run in to a lot of problems there. Do you guys think it would be worth it to take advantage of this? It has 2 sets of A/V outputs and at least one set of inputs, as well as what I believe is the original All-In-Wonder card with the coax and vga on it. The 27" viewable screen is also noticably larger than my 20" Apex right now. Opinions on the quality of the system or why I should or should not get this are appreciated. Thanks.
-EM

oh man... let's see if I can remember. We supported 2 of those when I started my job (about 5 years ago), and weren't overly impressed... The Case is pretty much a standard ATX case, but all the extra connectors (video/audio) were propritary, so you wouldn't be able to re-use those. The monitor was standard VGA, but was limited to 800x600 res at 60Hz, so it's pretty low resolution.

Now... if you swapped out the MB and didn't mind running at 8x6, you should be fine to use any 10' interface product and watch tv. Just know that you will have a lot of extra connectors on the front and back that will not be connected to anything...

Back