Gateway, compared to Dell?

blix9

Weaksauce
Hey, I read so much about people getting fantastic deals(when talk to their sales representative) or services(replacement, exchange, or return over few dead pixels or whatnot and etc etc...) from Dell people.

How is Gateway in that department compared to Dell? I am eyeballing a notebook model from Gateway and I would like to know if I could expect similar things from Gateway too. I noticed people don't talk about Gateway regarding such topics in here. What I have noticed from their website is that they're a little more expensive than the other competitions for machines with slightly lower specs. So any of you guys have any purchase or service experience with Gateway that is comparable to Dell's 'crazy for the comissions' kinda deal or lightning fast services over trivial issues like people in here talk so much about? :cool:

Any input is appreciated. Thanks folks.

I have heard of people getting upwards of $250 off when mentioning that Dell's machine is faster and cheaper. Gateway tends to stick to their guns a bit more than Dell. It is possible to negotiate a little bit with them. I would definately call and haggle a bit if I were you.

Thanks for reply.

Any other comments? c'mon I see a few with Gateway machines here. Little help would be appreciated.

i had no clue u could haggle with them. i figured their prices were set in stone and that was that.

That was my impression too. I wish they are as 'flexible' as Dell's :)

Gateways customer service has been nothing but assholes to me. Two years ago I bought a new computer from them around christmas ( big mistake). Soon there was a problem with something in the bios that conflicted with the operating system. I brought it to them about 3 times and on the third time when they said they had fixed it , my instincts told me to test it out there before I brought it home. When I pluged my comptuer in the same problem was still occuring . The lady said " after we got it back from service, they said it was fine so we turned it on, and the computer showed a picture".....Morons...
Some advice , take it or leave it , but I would lean more twoards dell for their support . I have a 4600PC in my basement that I replaced the Gateway with , and I have had very little problems. The service department is also very helpfull.
Speak Your Mind.

Ive had a Gateway 500XL 2.5GHZ P4 for coming on 3 years now, and ive never had a hardware problem with it. If i every had questins realted to software, Gateways online technical support is easily reachable and its never come down with me to call them. From working at Best Buy as a tech for over a year i would never use a Dell, even if someone gave it to me for free. HP and Gateway are the two companies that i recommend.

The good and bad stories of Dell/HP/Gateway can go on forever. No 2 ppl get the same customer service experience it seems. I would base your judgement on which machine would better suit you and your budget. Just my .02

I prefer Gateway over Dell any day, especially in the lower end units. I refurb laptops and PC's for a living, and Dells are by far the most problematic machines that usually have the most failures of any laptops/PC's I do. Most of it stems from the general cheapness of their units and their use of more generic parts. I've yet to run across a Gateway with major issues, but I've got piles of Dell laptops to be fixed, some of them not more than 2-3 years old.

I'd highly recommend the Gateway over a Dell, you get what you pay for.

Too bad Gateway gobbled up emachines. emachines got their QC problems straightened out years ago. Gateway never did for desktops.

At my last company every single Gateway desktop had at least one hardware failure, the worst I have ever seen. Gateway really cuts corners on desktop parts.

The laptops are probably better quality than the desktops, but that's not saying much.

I have found Dell to be superior to Gateway in every way for almost if not every product they make.

i just bought a gateway 4026GZ for about $600 and it has been awesome so far. it is really thin and light and the price seemed right. the only thing that seemed kind of wierd is that you have to make your own restore CDs which i didn't since i just formatted and installed xp pro on it anyways since i did not want all the crap they had on it (aol, ms works, ms money, encarta etc.).

i would highly recomend gateway, i have not had to deal with customer service yet, but the unit seems very well built and i love how slim it is. it is only a little thicker than my dell digital dj closed, and open it is the same width

http://slackerserver.com/uploaded/gateway2.JPG
http://slackerserver.com/uploaded/gateway1.JPG

Donk3y said:
The good and bad stories of Dell/HP/Gateway can go on forever. No 2 ppl get the same customer service experience it seems. I would base your judgement on which machine would better suit you and your budget. Just my .02
I totally agree w/ that--"those who live in glass houses....." Look, CS sucks all over. There are plenty of horror stories to be found about all companies; no sense in one company's devotee trashing another company's service as you can just as easily find another customer of the same company w/ only negative things to say. Basing a buy decision on what a few anecdotal references tell you about "good" or "bad" service is not the best idea, IMHO. Just get a system that can be configured & priced apporpriately, and use the return period to put your new machine through its paces so it can be returned w/ a full refund should the machine not work out for you.

If a company is really a trendsetter in their customer support, good or bad, trust me, you will HEAR it in far more posts than the random ones that pop out of know where saying *this company* sucks.

If you look at what you get for the price, Dell throughly trumps Gateway. Especially with the 750 off 1500 coupon that is coming out tomorrow morning. Head over to the hot deals forum to learn more.

Back