• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gateway CDROM misery...it won't work !

Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
1
It's an older gateway (P5-200) windows 95 machine.
hard drive went bad, fixed that and tried to install windows from CD, but it wouldn't work, even with the cdrom being the first boot device in the bios. So I installed w95 from backup floppies.
The CDROM is actually a Mitsumi FX120T plugged into the secondary on the MB, same as it was from gateway, when it was new.
I downloaded and installed drivers-I tried the drivers from gateway, and from somewhere else for the mitsumi. I found no difference.(system.ini, config.sys, autoexec.bat, all edited)
During normal boot, the cdrom is not detected, so the drivers don't load, and the secondary IDE controller doesn't show up in the device manager.
Now when I plug it into the same ribbon with the HD, and change jumpers, it's detected and the secondary IDE controller shows in the device manager, but if I try to use it, I get an error "code 4"...I can't find anymore info about "code 4".
I've tried different ribbon cables, checked all the connectors pins, and tried all jumper settings, and even tried another power plug. Nothing seems to work.
The drive itself I think is OK....the drawer opens and closes alright, and the light flashes.
I also tried a W98 boot floppy and choose cd support, the drive spins up and tried to read the cd, but I get the "code 4".-note; this is only when the cdrom is on the same ribbon with the hd. When the cdrom is on it's own ribbon and plugged into the secondary on the MB, I get nothing....it doesn't work in dos or windows.
I also noticed that when the cdrom is on the hd ribbon, the secondary controller is enabled in the bios, and I can select it, but when it's on it's own ribbon, the secondary controller is disabled, and I can't select or change it. I've tried everything I can think of....2-3-4 times ! What am I missing?
Help?
 
Back
Top