• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gates Says Big Changes Coming For Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Bill Gates, during a meeting with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, said there will be a vast shift in the internet over the next decade.

"We're approaching the second decade of (the) digital age," the software mogul and philanthropist told Lee at the start of their meeting at the presidential Blue House, according to a media pool report. "The Internet has been operating now for 10 years," Gates said. "The second 10 years will be very different."
 
i remember using the internet (AOL woo woo) on my macintosh color classic... i think that came out before 1998 lol
 
Yeah, wider bandwidth means cloud computing means Software-as-a-Service means hope you enjoyed actually owning the software you paid for as opposed to renting.
 
^ exactly. It won't be so bad, really. Piracy will take on different characteristics, too, I imagine (it certainly won't go away). I think it's kind of funny that we worked so hard to decentralize computing in the 90s and now we're returning to something similar (although MUCH better).
 
The big question about these "big changes" is - will it be for the better?:( Seems like every big corporation wants to control it,governments and private interest groups want to censor it,it may have gotten bigger and faster,but I'm not sure it's improved.
 
Oh god.

IE will be the only browser that will access the internet.

I'll be in the bath, slitting my wrists.
 
Here, I'll go as far to make to a bold statement.

There will be more people in this world in the next 10 years.


Seriously, with evolving technology, I would be SHOCKED if nothing happened in 10 years.
 
Lol@1998.

I remember playing Duke Nukem over the internet using KALI back in 1996 or so, and Quake 1, which had me ADDICTED for years. Of course using Mosaic to browse the web before that so around 94-95. Heck, I even got Comcast cable in 1998 when they were beta testing my city. I loved being the only LPB sniper in some TF Quakeworld :)
 
I was using the Lynx Internet browser on a VAX @ College in 1990 .. almost 18 years ago.

Prior to that it was BBS, remember FIDO was a small version of distributed networking.
 
Yeah, those cock mongrels will control all of it, and will have to pay-per-KB of usage and net neutrality will be long forgotten.
 
Compuserve... good god, memories. I had a company customer service account given to me by CS, if I had to actually pay the bill for the time I spent on there, it ran about $800 PER MONTH!!!

At least the intrawebnet has gotten cheaper. :eek::rolleyes::p
 
I was using the Lynx Internet browser on a VAX @ College in 1990 .. almost 18 years ago.

Prior to that it was BBS, remember FIDO was a small version of distributed networking.

Up until a couple of years ago there were still some FIDONet nodes running I believe.
 
Microsoft and automakers Hyundai Motor Inc. and Kia Motors Corp. announced earlier Tuesday a deal to use Microsoft's in-car software, which allows people to control music and telephones with voice commands.

The company has a one-year exclusivity deal on the software with Ford Motor Co. in the U.S., but that expires in November. Fiat also has been selling cars with the software.

"We're doing some very interesting work on automobile software," Gates said after having dinner with Lee. "That's a really wide open area where some very exiting things will come out of."

*Open car door*
*Start car*
*Detecting non-Microsoft Kernel*
*Formatting non-Microsoft Kernel*
*Car speaks* "Congratulations, your iPhone is now formatted with the NTFS files system, to begin installing Windows Mobile, say yes"
 
net nuetrality will go away like the wild west.... enjoy the wildnet while you can...
 
I seem to remember using the internet prior to 1998...

When was the Al Gore internet quote made? Perhaps Bill is referring to the date that Al Gore invented the internet. After all, it couldn't have existed before it was invented!
 
I still have ROtT, and a sportster 28.8. Don't make me go underground on your ass. lol
 
the internet will be very ... different..? in what way? from the current trends it sounds like their locking down the net soon.
 
Well I think there will be a lot of changes in the US. Say goodbye to "unlimited" connections. Everything will be metered. $50 USD will buy you around 1 GB per month. 2 GB per month will be only $99.99. In 2018, the US ISPs will still have the same infrastructure they have now. All non-encrypted P2P will be impossible. And encryption will be illegal. Not only illegal to use but illegal to put into software. There will be a mandatory 2 year jail sentence for anyone caught using encryption to commit copyright infringement. A 3 year minimum for the use of Tor. Anyone caught running a Freenet node will be subject to a minimum of 5 years in federal prison. Anyone caught using Truecrypt will be subject to 7 years in prison or 9 years if a hidden volume is discovered. Internet cafes and unsecured wifi access will also be illegal. All of these new laws will be passed under new "Protect the Children" anti kiddie porn laws and new anti-terrorism laws.

There will be only a few very specialized apps that still work for P2P which will be published anonymously on freenet. So in general information will be more and more locked down so that the record and movie companies can continue with their business models and the telecoms and ISPs can continue raking in profits without spending any money on upgrades. All of this was told to me by The Oracle last friday night at the weekly poker game.
 
First Compuserve, then Prodigy, then AOL. Man, between the awful Prodigy email addresses and massive bills (AOL in college made me even poorer than I already was), I don't miss those days at all.
 
Lol@1998.

I remember playing Duke Nukem over the internet using KALI back in 1996 or so, and Quake 1, which had me ADDICTED for years. Of course using Mosaic to browse the web before that so around 94-95. Heck, I even got Comcast cable in 1998 when they were beta testing my city. I loved being the only LPB sniper in some TF Quakeworld :)

KALI FTW

yep duke3d and mechwarrior 2, i was hooked, shadow warrior was fun too and yeah i started playing them at least in 95/96 so i know its been around longer ;p

as for changes, it could be better, but i agree, i do not want software as a service,
 
Well I think there will be a lot of changes in the US. Say goodbye to "unlimited" connections. Everything will be metered. $50 USD will buy you around 1 GB per month. 2 GB per month will be only $99.99. In 2018, the US ISPs will still have the same infrastructure they have now. All non-encrypted P2P will be impossible. And encryption will be illegal. Not only illegal to use but illegal to put into software. There will be a mandatory 2 year jail sentence for anyone caught using encryption to commit copyright infringement. A 3 year minimum for the use of Tor. Anyone caught running a Freenet node will be subject to a minimum of 5 years in federal prison. Anyone caught using Truecrypt will be subject to 7 years in prison or 9 years if a hidden volume is discovered. Internet cafes and unsecured wifi access will also be illegal. All of these new laws will be passed under new "Protect the Children" anti kiddie porn laws and new anti-terrorism laws.

There will be only a few very specialized apps that still work for P2P which will be published anonymously on freenet. So in general information will be more and more locked down so that the record and movie companies can continue with their business models and the telecoms and ISPs can continue raking in profits without spending any money on upgrades. All of this was told to me by The Oracle last friday night at the weekly poker game.
I think you wildly, wildly overestimate the technical ability of our lawmakers. There won't be any mandatory sentences like those (except for copyright infringement, and that one will be more than 2 years...considering how many Senators have the 'entertainment industry' as pretty big 'campaign contributors') because lawmakers still seem to have no idea what a computer is.
 
I predict the intarwebs will change in the next 10 years too. Also, I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.
 
I predict the intarwebs will change in the next 10 years too. Also, I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.

if they can manage it they would probably make that a pay service as well... pay your sun tax or you don't get sunlight
 
I think you wildly, wildly overestimate the technical ability of our lawmakers. There won't be any mandatory sentences like those (except for copyright infringement, and that one will be more than 2 years...considering how many Senators have the 'entertainment industry' as pretty big 'campaign contributors') because lawmakers still seem to have no idea what a computer is.

Yea pretty much. At least if Obama gets elected we know he'll uphold Net Nuetrality. Or so his website says.
 
Back
Top