Gaming with laptop advice?

bikemanI7

n00b
Soon Taking Desktop into local PC shop for a Case transfer for proper cooling of motherboard, video card, and drives. Anyways plan on using Secondary Gaming Laptop for daily web browsing, gaming, and such while Desktop out of service while shop does the transfer.

Anything i should be concerned or worried about in regards to gaming on the Laptop, i normally don't game too long on it due to risk of over heating, or getting too warm i've heard is bad for it/especially the battery

Laptop specs are Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb of DDR4 ram, Intel UHD 630/Nvidia 1050 TI 4gb, 128mb m.2 boot drive, and 1tb storage drive

Games plan to play are Wreckfest, American Truck Sim, Euro Truck Sim 2, Need For Speed Payback, i think that is all, unless i decide on some of World of Warships as well.

Unknown how long shop will take to transfer hardware of the Desktop as this point

So, grab two tools:
  • Intel XTU
  • MSI Afterburner
Use these to set performance 'ceilings' as well as monitor power usage at CPU and GPU respectively. You should be able to cap their power usage, and with some experimentation, keep things reasonable for the cooling subsystem.

Also, go into the Nvidia drivers and cap your framerates. That'll automatically throttle back performance.

I have an old gaming laptop -- i7 3610 and GTX675 -- that I keep dialed back just for stability's sake. For the games it can play, though, it plays flawlessly. While sounding like an airliner.

Yeah well i expect some fan noise while gaming on it, but i normally use headphones, so not too concerned on noise level lol. Kinda switch off my gaming between Desktop, and Laptop off and on, hopefully tomorrow is last time Desktop will have to visit shop, as should have plenty of cooling hopefully in the new case, video card then plenty of cooling/room as well.

Right now in my Asus G11CD-K Case for the Desktop, video card nearly right against side panel lol, ((i stink with measurements lol) so guess i got one nearly too big lol, but think should be fine with newer case. I won't mind using Laptop a bit while Desktop out of service again, previous out of service was CPU Fan that died on me

Back