Gaming will never be the same, I just beat Dark Souls!

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
Before Dark Souls I thought I was an awesome gamer. I sit here cold and shivering from the expierence of finally beating the game. I feel like this game violated me in a good way. Oh it felt so good (the game). I will never be the same.

The downside is that many other games will seem boring and lifeless in comparison.

The downside is that many other games will seem boring and lifeless in comparison.

THIS!

I have the same problem on PC after playing Bioshock, that game spoiled me.

OP, it feels good, doesn't it? Are you going to play through the game again? :)

Just beat Seath, theres still so much to do! I don't know what I'm gonna do when I'm done. I don't play anything else and I'm still sooo far away(I'm trying to get/find everything, everywhere), I do not want this game to end, it is so enjoyable and challenging.
Go play NG+ till March!

I'm still struggling with this problem even though I finished Dark Souls in January... :( The only other game since then I played that really grabbed me was The Walking Dead The Game (barely a game really but whatever) due to Clementine.

This game causes me far too much stress. I'm a casual gamer at best. What have I done?

I love Dark Souls but honestly I don't think it is as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. It is hard but If you are patient you can easily beat most enemies by simply not attacking to many times and blocking before they attack. Though I haven't played the extended version yet even though I have it.

THIS!

I have the same problem on PC after playing Bioshock, that game spoiled me.

OP, it feels good, doesn't it? Are you going to play through the game again? :)

I might but not right now. I'm feeling like I just had sex and now just want to lay in bed and smoke a cigarette. LOL. Great game. I don't know of any other games out right now that can compare to it. Can't wait for DS2!

Go play Demon's Souls. It is different enough to be unique, but probably equally as good.

Good Job, now go kill Hydra. I beat DS with a little help from youtube walkthroughs when i didn''t know what to do next :D. If you beat it without any additional help more props to you. I don't really like demon souls after playing Dark Souls idk why. Dark Souls II is a day 1 buy for me though.

Did anyone play the DLC? Is it worth the $15 ?

Last edited:
Yea, the DLC is good and really helps tie up some of the story. It's quality content.

I love Dark Souls but honestly I don't think it is as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. It is hard but If you are patient you can easily beat most enemies by simply not attacking to many times and blocking before they attack. Though I haven't played the extended version yet even though I have it.

It really isn't that hard of a game, even on NG+. But we as gamers have become use to instant gratification while playing Rambo style. That's where the difficulty comes in.

Did anyone play the DLC? Is it worth the $15 ?

the DLC bosses are tougher then the main game...especially Manus and Kalameet...more Dark Souls is always a good thing so hell yeah buy the DLC...the game ends for me after NG+...all the other ++ versions are just artificial ways of making enemies tougher which forces you to grind through which is not fun

beating the final boss was fun but I got more satisfaction beating Capra Demon and Ornstein and Smough because those were the times I seriously was considering quitting because of the difficulty

Dark Souls was and is a fantastic game I got like 354 hours logged into it and probably have beaten it at least 20-30 times.

I think I'm going to focus on playing Skyrim or Risen now though... I'm burned out of Dark Souls until the next game comes out.

120 hrs lol

Wow, I'm at 135 and I still think I have maybe 40 more hours till I beat it (I'm obsessing on collecting everything and finding all secrets, and I haven't made it to Oolicile yet).

Hollowed Big Hat Logan isn't showing up for some reason...... :-\

Dark Souls was and is a fantastic game I got like 354 hours logged into it and probably have beaten it at least 20-30 times

I take your 354 and raise it...by 400 more :D

I'm also burnt out from it...need a break...will replay closer to the release of DS2

c1my.jpg

It really isn't that hard of a game, even on NG+. But we as gamers have become use to instant gratification while playing Rambo style. That's where the difficulty comes in.

Bingo. Its a game of patience. It's not "difficult", it's no Godhand, Ninja Gaiden Black, Castlevania 3, Ghost & Goblins or anything in terms of "This is easily made by a sadistic individual", but its a solid breath of fresh air in the instant gratification gaming world we live in.

The cool thing is a lot of newer gamers have used DS as sort of a gateway game to games of past, where instead of making games insanely long and tedious to last months on end for the purchaser, they made the games just THAT difficult and challenging, making them last for months. I believe the AVGN, out of character (thank god... He's actually a very intellectual gaming historian out of character), mentioned it took him 5 months before he beat Contra and Ghost & Goblins. Games that now a days, using save states and such would take you literally....15 minutes.

</nostaldia'ed out>

Still a fun game, have it on both PS3 and PC. Might have to snatch up the DLC now that everyone here is talking about it haha

Screw that noise, dark souls was extremely difficult while being sadistically hard. Sure you learn as you go but I solo'd offline it with no guides and died hundreds of times. That learning process is brutal! I found Ninja Gaiden Black a much easier game in comparison (but still considered hard) . Maybe you guys had more practice with demon souls before playing or something.

I'm not saying it's the most difficult game ever but to say it's not hard is ludicrous. I guess you could easily find many NES games that are nearly impossible to beat but still darks souls is a extremely challenging game.

Screw that noise, dark souls was extremely difficult while being sadistically hard. Sure you learn as you go but I solo'd offline it with no guides and died hundreds of times. That learning process is brutal! I found Ninja Gaiden Black a much easier game in comparison (but still considered hard) . Maybe you guys had more practice with demon souls before playing or something.

I'm not saying it's the most difficult game ever but to say it's not hard is ludicrous. I guess you could easily find many NES games that are nearly impossible to beat but still darks souls is a extremely challenging game.

I think people are spoiled nowadays with Wiki guides and walkthroughs all over the internet...people then say how games are not difficult...Dark Souls was hard...even using the guides for certain bosses and the game was still hard...if you don't have the right skills/weapons etc then you need to backtrack/farm until you get it right...yes once you finish any game it gets a lot easier because you learn the enemies and AI but the 1st time through Dark Souls was brutal at times...especially considering the bonfire save system where if you rest most non-boss enemies respawn

I had maybe 15 hours of practice with DeS before I got DaS, it's really not that hard. I think you may have not found the right build or not jived with the right weapon movesets.

IMO, Dark Souls is now my measuring bar for difficulty. Anything less is going to get downrated.

I think people are spoiled nowadays with Wiki guides and walkthroughs all over the internet...people then say how games are not difficult...Dark Souls was hard...even using the guides for certain bosses and the game was still hard...if you don't have the right skills/weapons etc then you need to backtrack/farm until you get it right...yes once you finish any game it gets a lot easier because you learn the enemies and AI but the 1st time through Dark Souls was brutal at times...especially considering the bonfire save system where if you rest most non-boss enemies respawn

I think this is an issue with terminology. I still don't think Dark Souls is hard, even with what has been stated above. I'd call it fair instead.

I break games down into the following difficulties: Easy, Fair, Hard, and Cheap.

Easy: You're presented with a path where learning can be done on the fly. This doesn't necessarily mean you won't die here or there, but it requires little thought to complete. You might also be given ample opportunity for recovering from failure, or the game is straightforward and walks you through on what to do. The Call of Duty series is a good example.

Fair: You will die. You're not expected to know what will happen and will probably get caught off guard the first few times until you practice some. On multiple playthroughs, or excessive grinding, the game can become easy.

Hard: Like fair, you're expected to die a lot and have to play the game continuously to get better at it. What separates it from a fair game is that even knowing what to do, you will still die a lot as the game requires precision skills, and a momentary lapse in judgment is all that is needed for failure. Also, unlike a fair game, there is no way of out-leveling or grinding. These games don't get easier the more you play them. Ghouls N Ghosts is a good example.

Cheap: People often consider these hard games as you'll die a lot, but there's a massive difference. Hard games can be beaten through skill. Cheap games have mechanics that rely upon luck. Bosses might have an unavoidable attack that sometimes comes, in which you are screwed. I'm not talking about a time limit attack, such as in Diablo 3, where it's to tell you that you're underprepared. It's completely up to personal luck, where some people might not see it and some will. An example of a cheap game is Wizardry IV (which Dark Souls pays homage too). In that game, certain enemies could instant kill you with spells, or instant kill you with a critical attack. Certain rooms which are unavoidable could teleport you into a wall instantly wiping you out. You can get into an unsolveable state early on with the game never telling you that you're screwed. The list goes on and on.

This is not to say that games can't share aspects of all of the above (Wizardry IV is both cheap + hard), but for the most part, Dark Souls just requires patience. If you plan on playing it unprepared and want to rush, of course you will die.

I think this is an issue with terminology. I still don't think Dark Souls is hard, even with what has been stated above. I'd call it fair instead.

I break games down into the following difficulties: Easy, Fair, Hard, and Cheap.

Hard: Like fair, you're expected to die a lot and have to play the game continuously to get better at it. What separates it from a fair game is that even knowing what to do, you will still die a lot as the game requires precision skills, and a momentary lapse in judgment is all that is needed for failure. Also, unlike a fair game, there is no way of out-leveling or grinding. These games don't get easier the more you play them. Ghouls N Ghosts is a good example.

I still label it as Hard even according to your definitions...except in your definition 'Hard' equates to not being able to proceed by grinding...I call that Cheap...plus I compare Dark Souls to most (98%) of games on the market and most games are not hard at all...most games might be hard for a certain sequence or boss but DS was consistent with its difficulty for the most part...I found it got easier at the half way point (after Ornstein and Smough) but it was never what I call Easy

it's not not as simple as being patient and not rushing...yes that is true but that is an overly simple way of explaining it...you can be patient and still die...maybe having never played any of the previous Souls games contributed to my experience but it's the overall structure of the game which totally baffled me for awhile- no map, no clear direction, no coherent storyline, no guidelines on weapon scaling etc combined with enemy difficulty made it Hard for me

now that I've played the game many times it is fairly Easy but I'm talking about the 1st time through

I still label it as Hard even according to your definitions...except in your definition 'Hard' equates to not being able to proceed by grinding...I call that Cheap...plus I compare Dark Souls to most (98%) of games on the market and most games are not hard at all...most games might be hard for a certain sequence or boss but DS was consistent with its difficulty for the most part...I found it got easier at the half way point (after Ornstein and Smough) but it was never what I call Easy

it's not not as simple as being patient and not rushing...yes that is true but that is an overly simple way of explaining it...you can be patient and still die...maybe having never played any of the previous Souls games contributed to my experience but it's the overall structure of the game which totally baffled me for awhile- no map, no clear direction, no coherent storyline, no guidelines on weapon scaling etc combined with enemy difficulty made it Hard for me

now that I've played the game many times it is fairly Easy but I'm talking about the 1st time through

Grinding is a cheap way to add game filler, but it's not a cheap game mechanic. Anyone can do it, but you might just be too impatient. Trust me, when you play a cheap game, you'll see the difference. Many older games (1970s-1980s) had cheap mechanics to make an hour game 20 hours, or have you pushing more quarters in. You can outgrind Dark Souls. You can't outgrind Wizardry.

Map, clear directions, guidelines, those are what make a game easy. Dark (and Demon) Souls is an homage to older games such as Wizardry, while 20+ years of experience to look upon to remove most of the cheap game mechanics and easing up on the difficulty for todays gaming audience.

Map, clear directions, guidelines, those are what make a game easy. Dark (and Demon) Souls is an homage to older games such as Wizardry, while 20+ years of experience to look upon to remove most of the cheap game mechanics and easing up on the difficulty for todays gaming audience.

I still think a game can be both Hard and fair...it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive...Dark Souls is definitely not cheap and it is fair...it's definitely a throwback game not meant for the masses...it's a niche game which unfortunately is destined to be an anomoly...most gamers don't want hard games...no matter how successful Dark Souls is/was I don't ever see a day when games like this become the norm

Dark Souls is one of the best games I've ever played...too bad the earlier Souls game cannot come out on PC

Dark Souls is a solidly medium hard game. Welcome to Japanese console games, hope you enjoy your stay. If you like these games you should get a console or portable and pick more of them up. The Japanese don't really play games on PC outside of dating/rape simulators, there are tons of games on this level.

Dark Souls is a solidly medium hard game. Welcome to Japanese console games, hope you enjoy your stay. If you like these games you should get a console or portable and pick more of them up. The Japanese don't really play games on PC outside of dating/rape simulators, there are tons of games on this level.

WTF? Tons of games? Please name a few.

Back