Gaming while mining question

SpeedyVV

Supreme [H]ardness
So I got a couple of RX 480s mining Ether.

When I want to game, I stop the mining.

Now I am wondering, can I keep mining while gaming?

I mostly play BFBC 2, so I have spare GPU power.

Anyone tried? I'm worried to screw things up!

due the way how intensive is the memory management while mining I won't even try it, you will receive in return both errors or bad performance mining or bugs and also worse performance gaming.. what you can do instead if you are running a machine with several GPUs, just dedicate one for gaming and keep the others mining, I have already tried that successfully but be sure to not be running the gaming gpu in x1 slot with riser, the performance it's just abysmally crappy..

due the way how intensive is the memory management while mining I won't even try it, you will receive in return both errors or bad performance mining or bugs and also worse performance gaming.. what you can do instead if you are running a machine with several GPUs, just dedicate one for gaming and keep the others mining, I have already tried that successfully but be sure to not be running the gaming gpu in x1 slot with riser, the performance it's just abysmally crappy..

Interesting. Did not know that was possible. You mean like affinity for CPU cores?

How do you do that?

Not like affinity at all, but you know that you can pick which and how much GPUS you can and want to use to mining, you select every GPU available but left out the main one (the one that's connected to the Monitor) that way you will have 3 GPUS mining and one available for gaming as normally all games just run in the main GPU where your monitor is connected (normally GPU#0)

So ie, a system with 4 GPUs will be all named GPU0/GPU1/GPU2/GPU3 they are all named in the order that are physically connected in the motherboard, being GPU0 the first one, you have to left that out of mining and select GPU1,GPU2,GPU3, they will be working while the GPU0 can be used for every other task as gaming of course this have to be configured that way since first time, so yes, when you aren't gaming the gpu will just sit idle, you can left the configuration that way if you game a lot, if not then you will have to pause and reconfigure each time you want to game if you don't want to keep the GPU idling while not gaming.

when I did that, the main purpose was to build that machine with the ability to do mining and also gaming, but it was for a heavy gamer, which used the other non-mining GPU a lot.

Not like affinity at all, but you know that you can pick which and how much GPUS you can and want to use to mining, you select every GPU available but left out the main one (the one that's connected to the Monitor) that way you will have 3 GPUS mining and one available for gaming as normally all games just run in the main GPU where your monitor is connected (normally GPU#0)

So ie, a system with 4 GPUs will be all named GPU0/GPU1/GPU2/GPU3 they are all named in the order that are physically connected in the motherboard, being GPU0 the first one, you have to left that out of mining and select GPU1,GPU2,GPU3, they will be working while the GPU0 can be used for every other task as gaming of course this have to be configured that way since first time, so yes, when you aren't gaming the gpu will just sit idle, you can left the configuration that way if you game a lot, if not then you will have to pause and reconfigure each time you want to game if you don't want to keep the GPU idling while not gaming.

when I did that, the main purpose was to build that machine with the ability to do mining and also gaming, but it was for a heavy gamer, which used the other non-mining GPU a lot.

Thanks bro.

I will give that a try.

I've done it while playing Civ while mining x11 (or one of the really low-intensity algos) a while back. You could still notice some stuttering, but it was a strategy game that didn't require all that much speed or precision. Other than that, you're not really doing either properly if you try and do both, so like others have said, not really worth it.

no. some cards cant even properly display a desktop when mining. ether is intence.

pzv5j7l.jpg

virtual machine with GPU passthrough? Run 1 VM for mining 24/7 with 1/2/3 GPUs and another VM that you can switch mining on and off on for gaming on GPU 4?

virtual machine with GPU passthrough? Run 1 VM for mining 24/7 with 1/2/3 GPUs and another VM that you can switch mining on and off on for gaming on GPU 4?
it's possible to just disable mining on the main card when you want to game. No need for vms

Back