• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming - Sound Card

alien193

n00b
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
3
I need to choose between some soundcards. Basicly I can only choose Creative card or ASUS. Which one will be best for FPS games( quake ) :
ASUS Xonar DS PCI 7.1 Audio Card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Sound Blaster X-Fi mX Xtreme Audio PCI-E
ASUS Xonar D1 PCI 7.1 Audio
I have no clue about those specifications and I just can't understand those, anywho there are many clever folks here, who can probably (I hope so) help me to choose the best option for me.

Thanks :)
 
I would favour the Xonar D1 out of those options. The Xonar DX is also identical to the D1, except it uses PCI-Express instead of PCI. That's another option you might want to consider.
 
Been using the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium since November 2008, great sound card.

I use it for PC Gaming (FPS also) and movies/videos.
 
Did you guys compare any of those card with eachother?
I would like to have best sound for this price, right now i have Steelseries 5hv2 Soundcard but i found out that my friend got much better sound, he can easily hear me on other side of the map(he uses Soundblaster x-fi music)
 
I'll recommend any of the Asus ones.

Kinda tired of Creative's BS for years now.

As for me, I switched from an XtremeMusic to the Asus Xonar Essence STX... difference was phenomenal. I mean granted the latter is a $200 sound card with much difference specs from the lower end Asus Xonar.
 
Ok then, I found some ASUS models in my shop, which one should i choose?:
Asus Xonar DS PCI 7.1 Audio Card
Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-E 7.1
or still SB titanium? :D
 
Ok then, I found some ASUS models in my shop, which one should i choose?:
Asus Xonar DS PCI 7.1 Audio Card
Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-E 7.1
or still SB titanium? :D
Like I said, I'd go with the Xonar D1 or DX, depending on your needs or preferences. The two cards are identical aside from the interface.
 
Gaming wise, CMSS 3d is amazing, not sure about the dolby implementation on Asus's part, but from what I have heard from my onboard compared to the X-fi's night and day.

CMSS helps a ton! (Strictly games here, sucks majorly for music applications)

DO NOT even for a sec consider the Xtreme Audio, its a re badged Audigy SE thats over 8 year old tech, its not a real x-fi and has nothing to do with the x-fi line. The Xtreme Gamer on the other hand is a solid card for gaming and prior to my upgrade to the Titanium HD, had been in use for over 4 years with no problems on multiple os's (XP, Vista, 7).
 
Gaming wise, CMSS 3d is amazing, not sure about the dolby implementation on Asus's part, but from what I have heard from my onboard compared to the X-fi's night and day.

CMSS helps a ton! (Strictly games here, sucks majorly for music applications)

DO NOT even for a sec consider the Xtreme Audio, its a re badged Audigy SE thats over 8 year old tech, its not a real x-fi and has nothing to do with the x-fi line. The Xtreme Gamer on the other hand is a solid card for gaming and prior to my upgrade to the Titanium HD, had been in use for over 4 years with no problems on multiple os's (XP, Vista, 7).

Dolby headphone is pretty nice. I can't compare it directly with CMSS-3d, but many users have said CMSS-3d is superior to positioning and positioning alone, but I don't think it's miles ahead. And yes, it sucks for music.

One thing I did notice, though, is that CMSS-3d is way better at speaker positionals than Dolby. Headphones though... well I never tried CMSS with headphones. Thing is that I don't know if CMSS helps in movies. Dolby's does.
 
CMSS-3D is not meant for movies...or gaming for that matter. It is a software solution to provide surround sound from a stereo source. Any newer game or DVD movie has 5.1 audio, so there is nothing to convert.
 
What game has digital 5.1 audio?

Pretty sure a lot of them do - if you set 5.1 mode in Windows and in the game, it'll output a 5.1 audio stream. Hasn't it been that way for quite a while (I can remember playing HL2 in 5.1, for example)? Or are you talking specifically about outputting a DD Live style audio stream, versus discrete 5.1 channels, in which case I guess you're right - but that's what the sound card is for.
 
THX TruStudio is only available in Entertainment Mode with the NEWER X-Fi Titanium HD and Sigma Gaming Headset from Creative. CMSS-3D is available in game mode.
 
CMSS-3D is not meant for movies...or gaming for that matter. It is a software solution to provide surround sound from a stereo source. Any newer game or DVD movie has 5.1 audio, so there is nothing to convert.
Except for CMSS-3D Headphone, which is post-processing applied to stereo sound to make it seem like surround sound even when it's coming from stereo headphones.
 
And Creative also implemented CMSS-3D so it only upmixes 2 and 4 channel sources to 5.1, or stereo to headphone. ASUS requires manual input and output of the number of sound channels from the source.
 
Back
Top