• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming SFF/HTPC system suggestions.....

Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
26
Im after some suggestions on what components you would recommend for a gaming sff/htpc setup. I want to bring pc gaming to my living room.

It will be connected to my 56" HD DLP tv, running in either 720p or 1080i.

I want to run fps games like crysis at highest possible settings. Some components i will keep from my current system, they will be a QX6850 cpu, an x-fi prelude and a WD Raptor. Will also keep vista 64.

So what can you suggest for the following...

1) Case
2) Mobo (preferably mATX)
3) GPU
4) Ram

I want minimal noise so any cooling suggestions are also welcome!!

thanks in advance :)
 
1. QMicra V2 from PCDLabs. Expensive but worth it.
2. Right now, Asus P5E VM HDMI. In a week or two, maybe the DFI crossfire board or the new Asus board.
3. HD4870 or GTX260
4. GSkill 2x2B PC8000

For the HSF on the processor, a Thermaright Ultra 90.
 
1. QMicra V2 from PCDLabs. Expensive but worth it.
2. Right now, Asus P5E VM HDMI. In a week or two, maybe the DFI crossfire board or the new Asus board.
3. HD4870 or GTX260
4. GSkill 2x2B PC8000

For the HSF on the processor, a Thermaright Ultra 90.

qft, not that I'm biased or anything :D
 
The QMicra is heckuva overpriced and definitely does not have HTPC/living room appeal. A Thermatake Lanbox Lite is my recommendation. if you want Crysis at like the highest possible setting... uhm.. 2x4870x2 and wait for the DFI xfire board?
 
if your looking to put such hot components in your case i would say get an antec mini p180.. although it might not be small it's definatly the best case all around if size and price are not problems. Take a good look at it becuase it's an amazing case!

It's got enough room for any video card if you take out the bottom tray and its got more than enough cooling. the actual case is noise dampened on the sides so it would be quiet enough for a living room
 
I secnd what Illumini said. The heat will kill the components or the noise from 4 fans will cause you to kill something/someone.

I stopped building computers a while back but the last case that I had was the Antec Sonata (2 I think...). It was quite, the parts were cool, and that machine lasted over 5 years for me
 
If you're going to using Vista 64 then I wouldn't even bother with it; V64 has too many issues when it's forced into the living room as an HTPC (major codec/video playback related issues).
 
If you're going to using Vista 64 then I wouldn't even bother with it; V64 has too many issues when it's forced into the living room as an HTPC (major codec/video playback related issues).

TRUTH! I had to revert back from 64 bit to 32 because of this; bought 4gb of ram hoping that games and whatnot would perform better in x64 but man, there's no codec/playback support so I had to go back to 32bit to watch 1080p stuff. Stuff with resolution below 1080 works fine but 1080 videos take an insane performance hit: I am able to play 1080p version of "Appleseed 2 Ex machina" in 32bit relatively lag free but in 64bit it is absolutely unplayable (edit: unwatchable).
 
Asus P5E-VM HDMI or the new P5Q-VM / P5Q-EM
Radeon 4850 (Lower heat when couple with third party cooler)
Lian Li-V350 / Silverstone Sugo - 03
Any performance DDR-2 800 or 1066 will do ..

Cooler: ThermalRight SI-128E for V350 / Silverstone NT-06 for Silverstone Sugo-03
 
I still suggest the mini p180... all those components in a sugo 03 (yikes)! I can only imagine how hot it would get
 
I'd go with a Sugo3 also... It's infinitely more attractive than the Mini 182 and I would not be at all concerned with heat. You can watercool if you're concerned with noise. I have a 3870, a Phenom and a 240 radiator shoehorned into my Sugo3 . A 4850 and G0 will have similar heat properties (but better performance, which is exactly why I'm upgrading soon :D ).
 
If you're going to using Vista 64 then I wouldn't even bother with it; V64 has too many issues when it's forced into the living room as an HTPC (major codec/video playback related issues).

Such as? I'm currently setting up a Vista64-powered system as an HTPC. Haven't completed that task yet, but I do have H264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 running with decoding offloaded to the IGP via HDMI to a 22-inch Samsung LCD. Seems to work well, but the real test will be when I plug the system into my HDTV and use it for a few days...
 
1) Case
X-Qpack if you are willing to mod it. Otherwise Qmicrav2. Don't go TT Lanbox or anything comparable to it's size. They're a little too big. Or, for me, at least, ever since almost being late on a plane because Delta thought my carryon was bigger than it actually was.. but that's a long story..

2) Mobo (preferably mATX)
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI

3) GPU
Anything, honestly. Right now I'd go with HD 4870

4) Ram
I always go with Corsair

edit: Also, if you are going to be traveling with it a lot, absolutely do not get heavy heatsinks. I've already had a Gigabyte 780g board killed by a Thermalright HR 05 (that's part of the long story..). I would get something that's well within Intel's specification for heatsink weight (isn't it somewhere along 500g?)
 
The OP said living room gaming, not LAN so hence my suggestion of the TT Lanbox **LITE** which has all the aesthetics of a HTPC. Yes it's a little bigger than most SFFs but you get quite a bit of room to work with, will support video cards with a tall/extended backplate, will fit almost any sized PSUs including the bigger 1000Ws, is quiet and keeps components relatively cool, fits my 3 hard drives + media card reader and an optical drive. It's also only $55 right now @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133045 unless you want the windowed version. As for portability I lug it cross border without hassle driving. If you fly, then .. that's what a notebook is for.
 
Oh, my bad, said gaming in the title so I assumed he wanted it for lanparties.

I should note that I'm using the lite version not the original.

If you do want to use it, I'd recommend cutting out the front grills, and removing the dust filter, as, at stock, it's VERY restrictive. After that small mod, it does cool pretty well, and does have plenty of room, since just about everything is removable. The two side panels aren't, which is slightly annoying, however.

(As for flying, I've had too many bad experiences to take a >1000$ PC anywhere but carryon.)
 
Side panels are a big gripe... massive gripe. But there isn't a more attractive box out there.
 
Really appreciate these comments, very helpful. I like the Qmicra v2, read a couple of reviews and a youtube video... I still have a stack of aquacomputer watercooling stuff which could go well in there, even if that wasnt my original intention!! Plus i live in the UK so would have to see if anyone sells them here.. BUT i also like the thermaltake lanbox lite, which i can get in the UK... so still undecided on the choice of case, so would welcome more opinons please! :)

Am planning to use sound dampening foam on whatever case to help minimise noise. I was using a mountain mods ufo case upstairs, which is a bit too bulky for the living room, hence all this change!

think i will go with the p5e-vm hdmi mobo, and a 4870 gpu, so at least ive decided on those! Its not easy making decisions on this stuff is it?!!

p.s. i dont plan to travel with it, it will be for the living room only, next to my ps3, 360 and wii.
 
ok, i think i have narrowed it down to 2 cases...

1) Thermaltake Lanbox Lite (no windows version, black)
2) Silverstone Sugo SG01-F (black)

just need to make my mind up....:confused:
 
ok, i think i have narrowed it down to 2 cases...

1) Thermaltake Lanbox Lite (no windows version, black)
2) Silverstone Sugo SG01-F (black)

just need to make my mind up....:confused:

If you are considering the Lanbox Lite (which is steel) you should also consider the Sugo SG02-F.
 
Back
Top