Gaming server

flyinpolak

Limp Gawd
Any idea how to set up a non dedicated server using a space computer or server to host games such as CSS (counterstrike source)....

i have the files off of an old server i used to run...

Biggest question is how to set it up and broadcast the server with steam... and the other is how to set up the amount of slots in the server (# of people allowed to join).

any input appreciated!

/thread

Dedicated is easy as hell to setup. I ran a dedicated CS:S server off of my file server with adminmod, votemaps, polls, etc. Took me maybe 2 hours to setup. Ran for a year without me touching it.

google, or use the above site, hundreds and hundreds of sites on setting up dedicated boxes.

well here is the thing... the server will be behind a router... what do i need to do to have it seen by others... just forward the correct ports? or set up computer as DMZ?:confused:

Play around with srcds on EC2 or RS:Cloud. I wouldn't go buy hardware unless you plan to colo it.

When you start the server it will advertise itself to the master servers to get listed on steam's server browser--

You set the slots on the command-line when you start the server...

Biggest question is how to set it up and broadcast the server with steam... and the other is how to set up the amount of slots in the server (# of people allowed to join).

This was the guide I used to set up my first Valve dedicated server. http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View.php?view=HL2Guides.Detail&id=4&game=3

It was nice because it gave me estimations on how many people could play at the same time on my home connection without huge lag. I ran 2 12 man servers without issue and no complaints even when they were completely full and had the rest of the family online doing normal stuff. The issue becomes when you have mods and custom files attached to the servers that need to be downloaded every time someone new joins. When I started running custom maps (that were pretty large) every time someone new joined everyone jumped from a pretty stable 60-80ms ping to 150+ until the download completed.

Play around with srcds on EC2 or RS:Cloud. I wouldn't go buy hardware unless you plan to colo it.

When you start the server it will advertise itself to the master servers to get listed on steam's server browser--

You set the slots on the command-line when you start the server...

mmk well nothing has been purchased yet... i dont want to do it on my pc ...i failed at using SRCDS a few months back and again about a year ago when i tried it also for my GMOD ded. server.... will do it again and see what happens.

This was the guide I used to set up my first Valve dedicated server. http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View.php?view=HL2Guides.Detail&id=4&game=3

It was nice because it gave me estimations on how many people could play at the same time on my home connection without huge lag. I ran 2 12 man servers without issue and no complaints even when they were completely full and had the rest of the family online doing normal stuff. The issue becomes when you have mods and custom files attached to the servers that need to be downloaded every time someone new joins. When I started running custom maps (that were pretty large) every time someone new joined everyone jumped from a pretty stable 60-80ms ping to 150+ until the download completed.

haha that sucks.. well we shall see if i cant get one working soon... i only plan on running small maps with zombiemod soo i dont know if i should have too much of an issue...

and the server wont be more than 30 slots... no one else in the family really uses the network....or home internet....

have cable but we might be upgrading soon since they want a house server hosting a few websites etc.

Ill figure something out,.... my computer just dies today so im trying to figure out whats causing it to not boot or any video, or any USB connections to work...

Thanks a lot guys!

Back