Gaming server requirements

C_N1

n00b
Hi, I was thinking about building a gaming server, and hosting it, but I am not sure
What specs I should get. The requirements are to run a teamspeak 3 server, multiple mine craft servers (1-3 not more) and
Those servers will be 24/7
Maybe sometimes another game server (tf2 or gary's mod etc) so basically it will be max. Only 1 TS3, 3 mine craft server and 1 misc game server all at
Once, what specs would I need? No lag, I know I could simply get the best of everything but I am not rich, I don't have a budget yet,
I need to get an idea what the price range is for a server like that, and then I can make my budget.
Thank for any response :D

EDIT!!!!---->>> I am interested in buying dual socket but aim not sure if these are the correct processors->Xeon E3-1270 V2 or Xeon E3-1275 V2<- both have 3.5 ghz and 3.9 with turbo boost, I've read on another post that the ghz is important for the amount of players and because I have multiple running at the same time I need a higher ghz number. If there is a better processor out there and doesn't exceed 500$ a piece please let me know in addition to my top question. :D thx very much for your help

Last edited:
Get a used Dell or HP server off eBay. Something with DDR3 RAM and SAS drives. You could have a very decent server for less than $600.

Thanks allot I didn't know it would be that cheap, I thought I had to invest at leas 1000$... :D

I hope you got yourself a nice little budget. A single minecraft server is pretty resource intensive and you want to do up to three? Same with gmod.

Up until recently I was under the impression that minecraft servers were single threaded. Meaning it didn't matter how many cores the the CPU had it would only use one core. We would get posts here every so often asking about spec requirements. What it came down to is clock speed. Get the highest possible clock speed you can find.

Bu then recently I've ran some feed the beast servers and they didn't behave single threaded. My crude test is just some basic math. If the process CPU usage goes above 25% on a quadcore, or 50% on a dual core then you know its using multiple cores. Which is actually a good thing.

My current ftb server is running on a quad core 2.6ghz xeon with 4gb ram and even then it occasionally lags with only a few people in it. Minecraft servers are no joke..

Team fortress servers will be pretty easy to setup and maintain. They won't need near the resources minecraff will.

Gmod on the other hand.... Source servers are most certainly single threaded. No doubt you'll have someone spawn 100 rockets which will lag out your server. Gmod is just too much of a sandbox. Again look for the highest clock speed possible.

I've been running game servers for most any game for quite a few years. Post back if you need info on more games.

Thanks allot, I didn't know all of that.
I can run 1 mine craft server on my 2009 laptop, intel pentium with 4gb ram, but the screen broke now, so I can't give you more details, it was lagy to play singleplayer and I hostet a server for 2 people including me, and it lagged as sh** but playable...with compromise... Now I am getting a gaming pc, but I don't wanna leave it 24/7 on because I don't wanna get damage or overheating, so now I am also looking for a server. You seem to know allot about this, is it best to get a dual xeon server with a midrange clock for the mine craft servers, and because gmod server is single threaded so you think it will use 1 thread from both CPU's? Oh and what do u recommend for ram?16-32 GB or even more? I don't have allot of experience with server hardware, only the software part of it...
Thanks, I didn't expect so many replies this fast

PS: I am writing this from my iPad, so if anything is written weird...blame the autocorrect xD

In regards to what jadams said about load,

Keep in mind if you're using the top command to see the CPU usage 1.00 = 100% on a single core so a quad core at 3.00 = 75% of the CPU's total load.

With top you can see per core use by hitting "1" in linux or running the command "top -P" in freebsd.

JblguJ7.png

Last edited:
Back