Gaming Rig: Win2k-PRO [vs] WinXP-PRO

Best Gaming O.S. Would Be:

• Total voters

Volume

2[H]4U
Hey, I used the search function for this the best I could, so if this exact issue has been debated then please excuse me.

I use this computer mainly for gaming and web browsing. I have now upgraded my RAM and have 1024mb. I am overclocking my P4 from 2.6 to 3.2, and may go higher with the arrival of my Zalman 7000A-cu.

Here are the facts I am finding between these two Operating Systems:
-Windows 2000 uses much less RAM. Although I have a gigabyte of RAM on the way, I like the idea of having the Operating System taking as little space in RAM as possible.
-Windows XP uses Hyper-Threading Technology. Will this mean that games running under XP will not take advantage of this, or simply that the Operating System itself will not take advantage of it?
-I prefer the plain Windows Classic theme, so I won't be missing out on anything in terms of glittered up XP themes.
-I have my current XP installation themed closest to that of the Windows 2000 theme (regular Start Menu, etc.).
-I have noticed that Windows XP uses a lot of *BS* services in the background (I am aware of the fact they can be turned off, but it's still a hassle).

Well, post your input and hopefully I can decide on which Operating System to stick with for the time being! Thanks for your time.

With your specs, the OS doesn't really matter. You should go with 2000 if your specs are at the lower end or are lacking. But since you want to use it for gaming and web browsing, go with XP pro. It makes my games run faster for me. But don't underestimate 2000. It's rock hard stable as hell.

Many games that I still have do not run on Windows 2000, so it's not really even a fair poll.

The only games that wouldn't work on 2000 that would work on XP would be games that require the use of XP compatibility mode settings. I can't honestly remember the last time I had to set a game to use compatibility mode to get it to work, but we're talking about ~1995 games like the first Command & Conquer (though I think the win95 re-release works) and other DOS only based games.

Windows2000 will recognize both your virtual processors, but it will think it's a Dual processor system rather than simply a system with HT. Not sure exactly why that’s a bad thing, but if I had to venture an educated guess, I’d say that it has to do with thread priorities being overwritten. Basically, if you have two CPU intensive programs, one set to “low” priority and one set to “high” priority; on a single CPU system the program with the higher priority will always get the CPU when it wants it, but with the fake 2cpu that you’d get in win2k, it would split the work 50/50 because it thinks each one is on it’s own processor. That can cause problems when you’re talking programs like Folding@Home (low priority) vs. explorer or something which has a higher priority.

You know, you could just use Win XP home; it doesn't have as many of those 'BS services' turned on by default (or not at all, like Netmeeting, etc).

Windows 2000 and HT-enabled P4s work together; but Windows 2000 won't utilize the HT as well as XP does.

Anyways, I'd just go for XP if you just game and surf the net.

Volume said:
Games such as...?

Such as most of what EASports made until the recent line. I had tons of sports games that would not run on 2000, even with compatibility mode settings. NO need to get cocky when your arguing against someone's personal experience. I used to run through the NTCompatible forums a lot trying to get these games working...never could.

windows 2000 is not a gaming platfom. plain and simple. stripped down xp is your best option.

Volume said:
Sorry for asking, ass.

Been reading some of your other responses in other threads. So, don't blame me for assuming it was cocky.

Well windows XP has a few kernal enhancements, (but im pretty sure the goofy gui kills that performance gain)

Hyperthreading, on the other hand, tricks the operating system into thinking it has two processors so it will use the cpu as though it does. Processors can only run ONE program at a time, so to give you the "feeling" of running more than one program the cpu is switching between programs constantly (quite a few times a second) if your doing something processor intensive when the cpu switches to say a antivirus program, it will then run that program, which usually doesnt use 100% of the cpu.

Hyperthreading allows one processor to process two things in parallel, so it can be running your processor intensive program and the antivirus at the same time and keep all the processor power doing something usefull, hyper threading will work on any OS that supports multiple processors.
(lol at the thought of intel making a windows XP specific enhancement)

Im currently using windows 2000, it should be around for quite some time, but that doesnt mean forever, (try upgrading a windows 95 machine today) so your better off with XP simply because its newer. (not necessarily better)

djnes said:
Been reading some of your other responses in other threads. So, don't blame me for assuming it was cocky.
Yes, please... do post examples. I want to know just what I posted that made me come off as cocky. Or perhaps it was your interpretation of internet text tone...

Lord of Shadows said:
Well windows XP has a few kernal enhancements, (but im pretty sure the goofy gui kills that performance gain)

Hyperthreading, on the other hand, tricks the operating system into thinking it has two processors so it will use the cpu as though it does. Processors can only run ONE program at a time, so to give you the "feeling" of running more than one program the cpu is switching between programs constantly (quite a few times a second) if your doing something processor intensive when the cpu switches to say a antivirus program, it will then run that program, which usually doesnt use 100% of the cpu.

Hyperthreading allows one processor to process two things in parallel, so it can be running your processor intensive program and the antivirus at the same time and keep all the processor power doing something usefull, hyper threading will work on any OS that supports multiple processors.
(lol at the thought of intel making a windows XP specific enhancement)

Im currently using windows 2000, it should be around for quite some time, but that doesnt mean forever, (try upgrading a windows 95 machine today) so your better off with XP simply because its newer. (not necessarily better)
Thanks, I think I'll go with XP. ;)

Volume said:
Yes, please... do post examples. I want to know just what I posted that made me come off as cocky. Or perhaps it was your interpretation of internet text tone...

Not my interpretation...but that of everyone else in the threads, and their responses.

Again, I'll ask you to show me where you're getting this from... where people respond to me negatively.

Volume said:
Again, I'll ask you to show me where you're getting this from... where people respond to me negatively.

Dude, you know what? Chill out. I don't need to post your previous conversations. If you don't know what and where you posted, it's not my problem. Your response to me sounded cocky, so I said so. I guess it wasn't meant to be, but it certainly seemed like it. Chill out, spend your time doing something more productive than worrying about this. Damn....seriously.

I'm not worried about anything. I just wanted to know what your problem was, and apparently you don't expect the best in people. That's why I repsonded the way I did. I'm done with this, as I'm sure you are too.

From a personal note...

I was running a Win2K Pro setup for a while, but found a lot of my games (older ones) would not work, not matter what I did, compadability mode or not.

I then ran a dual boot system 2kPro & XP Pro, it worked fine as long as I gamed on XP. So I got tired of having both since I had quite using 2K, and just loaded up XP.

If I am gaming heavily I just shutdown a lot of those 'extra' processes. There are tons of tutorials around on how to tweak and speed up XP, my rig can usually reboot and be fully reloaded in under 30 seconds. :) Now I do have an issue where if I do a lot of moving of files around and what not I have to reboot before I start up a game or I lag out for a while.

XP's Schedular Recognizes Hyperthreading and trys to be smart about how to schedule threads. 2K's scheduler doesn't understand hyperthreading at all, and will not halt the 2nd CPU if it isn't doing anything, telling the CPU to use all it's resources on thread 1. Other problem is if you have a dual xeon with hyperthreading, 2K Pro won't use the 2 hyperthreaded CPU's as it's against licensing. XP Pro understands the differenece and will use all 4. (And yes, home supports one physical 2 logical.)

Back