• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming Rig for Evaluation

Any particular reason for going with that board? Intel's chipsets are generally a fair bit better than nVidia's. Aside from that, it looks pretty solid.
 
yeah... dont get an Nvidia board, get a P35/45 or an X38/48 if you wanna do crossfire, everything else looks sweet, although you might wanna get something better instead of the tuniq tower like the 120mm xigmatek or vendetta 2.
 
If you want to save some cash on the motherboard look into the new Biostar TPower P45 or any of the P45 chipset boards. Gigabyte is usually pretty good quality for the price as well.
 
Gigabytes are good boards and I think they just came out with a new one thats getting good reviews. When I was getting advice on my rig I was told in no uncertain terms to get an Intel. So I did.

The Q9450...the Q9550 is the same price so unless you are getting a 'clearance' deal on it I would step up.
 
Is it your intent to go SLI at some point in the furture? If so, your rig looks pretty good. Two thumbs up!
 
" If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

By answering these questions you help us help you build a better quality/preforming/cheaper PC."

This will help.
 
My plan is to SLI in the not so distance future and bump up to a 30" monitor that's why I'm with the Nvidia board. I got a deal on the Q9540 over the Q9550 so that's why I am going with the one over the other.

Thanks for your input guys! Greatly appreciated.
 
" If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

By answering these questions you help us help you build a better quality/preforming/cheaper PC."

This will help.

1.) Gaming
2.) Around $2000
3.) NJ in the USA
4.) All parts (excluding a monitor)
5.) n/a
6.) Yes.. overclocking to 3.4ghz
7.) Buying the listed system to use on a 22" monitor @ 1680x1050.. future plan to SLI on a 30" monitor
8.) Within the next 1-2 weeks.
 
1.) Gaming
2.) Around $2000
3.) NJ in the USA
4.) All parts (excluding a monitor)
5.) n/a
6.) Yes.. overclocking to 3.4ghz
7.) Buying the listed system to use on a 22" monitor @ 1680x1050.. future plan to SLI on a 30" monitor
8.) Within the next 1-2 weeks.

Based on that, I'd have to say the parts you picked out are right on. I would like to suggest that you take a look at the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with the bolt-on mounting bracket as a possible alternative to the Tuniq Tower though.
 
-Drop the motherboard, get a P5Q-Pro, Ds3r, etc. better priced, stable and just down right smart to get away from nvidia chipset
- get ddr2 800 memory, G.skill still though. You wont need it, Saves you a few bucks.
- I like the 280 but on a 22" monitor it is overkill, I would get a 4870, then when you do get a 30" you can xfire it on the board si mentioned.
- I would never buy a chip or mobo with the expectation that it will do a certain OC, cause it really varies. I have had 5 boards on my e8400. 2 of then OC'd it to 4.0 where the others wouldnt go past 3.6. Where as a e2180 got oc'd on all of then to 3.2ish
- Plus if your solely gaming, Core 2 Duo is the route to go, and will save you some money. get an e8400 8500 ( 8600 isnt worth the price punch atm)
 
-Drop the motherboard, get a P5Q-Pro, Ds3r, etc. better priced, stable and just down right smart to get away from nvidia chipset
He wants to go SLI.
- get ddr2 800 memory, G.skill still though. You wont need it, Saves you a few bucks.
He'll need the DDR2-1000 to overclock his CPU to 3.4GHz without going past the RAM's rated speed.
- I like the 280 but on a 22" monitor it is overkill, I would get a 4870, then when you do get a 30" you can xfire it on the board si mentioned.
4870CF is not enough to handle several newer games at 2560x1600 at high settings, and this will only get worse with future games. GTX280 SLI will perform significantly better, and 4870X2 CrossfireX has too many scaling issues to really be viable.
- I would never buy a chip or mobo with the expectation that it will do a certain OC, cause it really varies. I have had 5 boards on my e8400. 2 of then OC'd it to 4.0 where the others wouldnt go past 3.6. Where as a e2180 got oc'd on all of then to 3.2ish
3.4GHz on a Q9450 is pretty much guaranteed.
- Plus if your solely gaming, Core 2 Duo is the route to go, and will save you some money. get an e8400 8500 ( 8600 isnt worth the price punch atm)
If he wants to get a quad, he can get a quad. It's no worse than a dual-core, and it will help with multitasking and certain multithreaded applications. Plus, considering the OP is planning on buying a 30" monitor and two GTX280s, I doubt he's particularly concerned with nickel-and-dimeing on the CPU.
 
I guess I failed to mention that I'm buying this setup from a boutique. I thought since it was in that subforum that it would be assumed. My mistake.
 
I guess I failed to mention that I'm buying this setup from a boutique. I thought since it was in that subforum that it would be assumed. My mistake.

When you provide a parts list as links to Newegg, it sort of implies that that's where you plan on buying them. If you're buying from a boutique, it's a good idea to say as much outright in your original post so you don't end up confusing people ;).
 
When you provide a parts list as links to Newegg, it sort of implies that that's where you plan on buying them. If you're buying from a boutique, it's a good idea to say as much outright in your original post so you don't end up confusing people ;).

Agreed. Which then begs the question why shop for parts at all on the egg if not building ones self. Which begs the question why not just build it and save a few hundred bucks.
 
I know the Xigmatek is good but what exactly is wrong with the Tuniq?

Its old and nearly past its time. The Xigmatek does a better job while costing less, weighing less, and is easier to install with the retention kit.
 
Back
Top