Gaming re-build < $1500

RevMen

Limp Gawd
I've been putting off upgrading my rig for far too long. It's getting very crashy and it doesn't have the horsepower I'll need for BF4, which I will want to play. I've been out of the custom computer market for so long I have very little idea of what's available. So I'd really appreciate some suggestions for parts to look at.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

3-monitor gaming. BF4, when it's available.

Also will dual-boot Linux for web development but that's hardly a concern here.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Max $1500 all-in. Would much prefer to stay less than that.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Austin, TX, USA. No Microcenter here, but there is a Fry's.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc.

Motherboard
Processor
Memory
Video Card(s)
possibly PSU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Case (Silverstone Fortress 2)
Monitors (3 x Dell 2007fp, 1600 x 1200), I have the active DisplayPort adapter
SATA Hard Drives
PSU is XFX Black Edition 850 W

6) Will you be overclocking?

Would prefer not to mess with it but I'm comfortable doing it if it means significant cost savings. My current rig is a lapped QX9650, so there you go.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

3 x 1600 x 1200. Currently in a 4800 x 1200 Eyefinity group. I would love to be able to game in this resolution.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Very soon.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

I have a RAID 1 pair for data storage that I'd like to continue using. I don't mind doing this in software (I only need it in Windows) but I'd prefer doing it on the motherboard.
Crossfire/SLI is a probably a good idea since I have such a high resolution display

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes. Win 7 64 will dual-boot with Linux Mint.

Back