Gaming possible over Remote Desktop Connection?

elleana

2[H]4U
Having a slow day at work and I was idly wondering what would be possible over a Remote Desktop Connection. Gaming? Not graphically intense FPSes, but what about older-ish games like Civilization? What about videos? If I can stream 1080p videos over a gigabit connection, is there any reason why it won't be possible over a remote desktop connection instead? I realize I could just go home and try all this out later but...

Turn based games, yes, videos no. While you may be able to stream 1080p content over your network, don't forget that it is compressed. If you were to try and view it over a RDC, the machine you log into would have to first render the movie and then send it off uncompressed (with no quality loss) or compressed. If you go the uncompressed route, you'll see a slideshow due to all the overhead. If you want 24/30fps, the machine will need to recompress everything and there would be no point in streaming HD since it would look awful.

I would also note that many games simply won't work with the RDC driver.

Watching videos would be rather painful, but you shouldn't have any issues playing Solitaire.

If you like 2 frames every 10 seconds and love the garbled audio then go for it. You won't be doing it for long.

RDP doesn't do 3 rendering does it?

LogMeIn can display video but not sure about games the refresh rate sucks though.

RDP does not use DirectX or OpenGL for video rendering. That is why the gaming or anything of that nature will not work.

I'm also going to jump on the bus with remote gaming not being possible.

However, you do have options if you like quake, check out quakelive ;)

Back