Gaming mouse upgrade?

deff

2[H]4U
I currently have a Razer Salmosa, but I'm thinking about upgrading it to a DeathAdder. I'd like to have a couple of extra buttons and a higher DPI sensor would be an added benefit. The Salmosa does a pretty good job, but the DeathAdder is worth spending $60 on?

Cliffs:
- Currenty have a Razer Salmosa
- Would like more buttons
- Looking at a DeathAdder
- Need help justifying $60 price

I really like this. Its the Sidewinder mouse.

Some people don't like it but it has adjustable weights, and you can change the DPI settings with the top 3 buttons. Looks good too. Only a 200dpi increase tho. :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
recommend the Razer DeathAdder 3G Infrared Gaming Mouse.
I liked the shape of the Microsoft 6000 gaming mouse . But the shape of this mouse is clearly better.

Last edited:
Yeah, been using G5's for a long time...great mouse..

But now using the new G500..........also great mouse, if you liked the G5, consider the G500.

Logitech G5 - Good mouse, but I'm not big on the shape

Logitech G9 - My favorite mouse to date, but I sold it when I tried to give up gaming.

Microsoft Razer Habu - Extremely comfortable mouse, but it suffers from a "left click" issue. After about 2 weeks the left click starts doing double clicks, and then it eventually just gets worse. It is a hardware issue because Razer used cheap internal parts on the mouse, and I've heard some of their other models suffer from the same issue.

Razer DeathAdder - (My current mouse). This is my 3rd DeathAdder. I bought my first one a couple of years ago when they first came out and the first one bricked during a firmware upgrade, and the second one bricked during a computer restart. The new one is supposedly a revised version and its been going strong for a couple of months.

I recommend either the Logitech G9 or the DeathAdder (just make sure it hasnt been sitting on the shelf for years). They are two totally different styles. So make sure you get the one that will fit you better :)

I just switched from a G5 to a Coolermaster Sentinel mouse. I love the new mouse beyond belief. You can adjust the DPI manually through their software rather than have 3 predetermined DPI settings.

I also like the look of the new Sentinel, where did you purchase it from?

My brother has a DeathAdder and it's functioned flawlessy, just a really nice mouse.

I however prefer my Roccat Kone:

roccat-kone.gif

It has excellent drivers, impeccable tracking, and a ton of cool features, not the least of which is the fully customizable lighting system.

I ended up going with the DeathAdder.

The DA feels pretty good in the hand and its hella accurate. Its going to take some getting use to.

Where did you get the Roccatt? Can you find it in the US?

Yeah, it's not officially sold in the US but I got mine off ebay.

I actually contacted Roccat and made sure I'd still be covered under warranty and they said I would.

I recommend it highly though, it's the best mouse I've ever used. I've had Razer and Logitech, and while they were great mice, this one is my favorite.

I ended up going with the DeathAdder.

The DA feels pretty good in the hand and its hella accurate. Its going to take some getting use to.

You would find it strange considering that you went from a mouse that's very small and flat to a much bigger one that's very ergonomic. I think altogether you'll be happy with the change. :)

I recommend the Razer DeathAdder 3G Infrared Gaming Mouse.
I liked the shape of the Microsoft 6000 gaming mouse . But the shape of this mouse is clearly better.

deja vu anyone lol

If you have large hands look into the MS Sidewinder definiatly... Incredibly cheap considering what comes with it and the build quality.

Otherwise the Copperhead still works so yes Damondback 3D for the best claw grip mouse out there.

deja vu anyone lol

If you have large hands look into the MS Sidewinder definiatly... Incredibly cheap considering what comes with it and the build quality.

Otherwise the Copperhead still works so yes Damondback 3D for the best claw grip mouse out there.

x5 or x8 model? there is like a $30 difference

Sorry to ask, but why do you need a ridiculously high DPI?

Do some people really use that high of a sensitivity?

Sorry to ask, but why do you need a ridiculously high DPI?

Do some people really use that high of a sensitivity?

It makes your mouse scroll smoother, match a high DPI with a low mouse pointer sensitivity for best results.

x5 or x8 model? there is like a $30 difference

XNothing model. The X models suck (one is Wireless = gaming failure, one is a cheapened version of the Sidewinder without weight adjustments). Sidewinder Mouse FTW. Wired, Sidewinder > All else.

I just purchased a Razer Salmosa for $21ish because 1) it was in my budget range, 2) it'll beat the crap out of this cheap Microsoft optical mouse I've been using and 3) It doesn't have fancy buttons or lighting. I hope its good.

(I boxed all my wireless Logitech mice. They're much more comfortable and have better tracking, but when their wireless connection gets iffy, I get p0wned in whatever I'm doing).

From someone who just finished playing TF2 on a new G500, if buttons and high DPI you want, this mouse has them both in spades.

Some say the 3 thumb buttons are hard to hit accurately, but I don't see it.

The fast scroll wheel is really nice, but feels a little cheap/clunky (Like a bit rattly.) compared to my G7s mouse 3 button/wheel.

I was considering sending this back and getting the G9 when it went on sale for less ($59.98) than the G500's ($62.xx)sale price (Black Friday.) but I've decided I really like this mouse.

It seems to hit a few things you want. It's just not a Razer. (I think it's more comfy than my Razer Lachesis, but I am a "palmer".)

Maybe in theory, but in practice it doesn't help.

Doesnt work in theory either. You're going to be skipping every other pixel at 4/11, 3 out of 4 at 3/11, etc

For anyone who is still chasing the placebo dream known as "perfect 1:1 pixel movement" please read injx's posts here before determining whether it's really necessary.

Doesnt work in theory either. You're going to be skipping every other pixel at 4/11, 3 out of 4 at 3/11, etc

For anyone who is still chasing the placebo dream known as "perfect 1:1 pixel movement" please read injx's posts here before determining whether it's really necessary.

I meant "theory" as in people might think it makes a difference. I know that the difference between DPI doesn't matter at all. It is a marketing term that shouldn't be considered when buying a mouse.

My Intellimouse 1.1 works just as good as your $60-$90 ridiculous gaming mouse.

$5 WMO here

and according to injx's formula it's perfectly adequate for my sens/fov/res

not that I would care much if it wasnt

I'd be fuming mad if 3 $50+ mice dropped to brick status on me in such a short time.

I would too although I didn't see anywhere in his post that it was in a very short time. Also Razer has a 2 year warranty on all their gaming mice. I've also had my Copperhead break two times over a 4 year period but got them easily replaced each time no problems. I believe if a company stands by it's warranty then I have nothing to worry about. But Razer mice have improved generally speaking. I have yet to hear of someones DeathAdder breaking down either, and if so it's a rare thing.

I would too although I didn't see anywhere in his post that it was in a very short time. Also Razer has a 2 year warranty on all their gaming mice. I've also had my Copperhead break two times over a 4 year period but got them easily replaced each time no problems. I believe if a company stands by it's warranty then I have nothing to worry about. But Razer mice have improved generally speaking. I have yet to hear of someones DeathAdder breaking down either, and if so it's a rare thing.

It is actually quite common for the mouse wheel to become random on the Deathadder. :p

Oh No, must not have been totally clear. Only my boomslang (twice)/copperhead broke and both were replaced, and my G500 is going strong. They did break within a half year/year though. I'm not knocking the service at all, I'm just a bit upset at the worksmanship. Plenty of reports of this as well (at least from my internet surfing). I think anyone wanting peace of mind would do well to consider the pros/cons. I'm an original Razer lover and think their offerings are great. It's just that in my case, I've had no luck with them. I've had a G5 and MX Revolution (and countless other "throwaway" mice) without any problems, it just seems my Razer mice keep breaking. I was definitely mad but they did fix it.

The G500 I love, but feels just a tad bulky to me. Death Adder 3G on the way! Can't wait to see if it's really that good (I hope so!)

Last edited:
Some mouses you can look into

High End~~~~
Razor Mamba - best wireless gaming mouse you can get 5000dpi
Logitech G9 - Possibly one of the best for fast paced heavy and alot of recoil controlling FPS' - 4000 dpi
Logitech G9x - Gets even better with one of their later revisions - 5000 dpi - 5700dpi like the G500

Low to Medium Range~~~~
Razor Deathadder - Have not tried it before, but I heard its good
Microsoft Habu - Coupled with the DNA from Razor, a good fast polling 2000 dpi mouse
Verbatim Rapier V1 - Good cheap 3200 dpi mouse and bests the G9 in some of the games I've played
Logitech MX518 - Good budget 1800 dpi mouse, bit like the G5
Logitech G5 - It was one of the best mouses back then and still considered today. 3200 dpi
Microsoft X" series are crap + Sidewinder series as well, they are shit mouses to begin with, filmsy, light and shit polling rates, don't get them

I've used a G5, G500, Copperhead, and am buying a Death Adder 3G. I realized that I am really not too good with Logitech's shapes, but I am really good with Razer designs. It's just that I've had 3 Razer mice crap out on me and an kind of skittish at getting a new one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MF67VO...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000MF67VO for $33

I found the same deal, while looking for a new mouse. At first I was going to buy the logitech m500, but then found the deathadder for such a low price. I quickly snagged it before the price went up again. Now I'm waiting for it to arrive.:) I had the logitech mx400 which was a very comfortable palm grip type mouse. The m500 is pretty much is the same mouse except with 1000dpi and the microgear scroll wheel.

Back