Gaming monitors with minimal backlight bleed?

Cretin

Weaksauce
Are there any gaming monitors with minimal backlight bleed?

I am looking for a 23-24" display that will be used primarily for gaming.
So fast response is one of my priorities.

I currently have a Acer 243h bmid that I picked up Sunday.
The backlight bleed is horrendous on it.
Brightness level is already turned down to 20, any lower and then everything else is too dark.

I was playing Fallout New Vegas last night.
In darker scenes the bleed was cleary visible all along the the top and bottom.
Sorry, no pics at the moment.

I know it is not my display settings, as I have an 3 year old Samsung 22" display
(that my kids are currently using), which does not display the problem.

I had the smaller brother of yours: the H233Hbmid, and the backlight bleed on it was also very bad. To complete the package, color reproduction was crap, contrast was just bad, and off-angle viewing made me want to punch the monitor. Most of the color and contrast issues were probably owing to the severe backlight bleed. Also, that monitor ghosted like a gnome (yes, a gnome).
I'm no hardcore gamer, but I don't like ghosting, and going from a CRT (which I am a die hard fan of) to an LCD was sobering. I eventually got a Viewsonic 23" IPS monitor. I tried L4D2 with it, dark carnival level. The contrast is much better, far less light bleed than any TN panel I've seen, and it can be viewed from any angle. It's rated for a 14ms response, yet to my naked eye, it had less ghosting. Maybe it was a lack of input lag, or maybe the Acer was heavily overrated. But I A/B'd the things next to each other, running the same level, same spots, and the Viewsonic was vastly better.
A roommate has some Samsung F2380 monitors, which are PVA (Viewsonic is IPS). He has a touch of input lag on them, but with overdrive, it's not bad, and about on par with his old 20" HP tn panels that were a couple years old (I forget the model). The Samsung has better contrast ratio than the Viewsonic, and a little better diagonal off-angle viewing (looking from a corner toward the center of the screen). It can be snagged for ~$190 from here: http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9986591&cac=BrandsItem

That's where the roommate bought them, and the place is reputable. VERY fast shipping since we're 1 state over from a shipping depot.

I know response time is touted, as are the whole infinite contrast ratios and what not, but I really felt more immersed in the games (mostly source, but also some SupCom) due to the better monitor. Both have impressive colors. The Viewsonic wins for that, but the Samsung wins for contrast. The Viewsonic also comes with a USB hub. Both are fully adjustable. Mind you these are entry level items for IPS and PVA technology, but real-world use is fine. My scores in shooter games (TF2, TFC, L4D, UT of various vintages) improved mildly, as did my roommates. In L4D, we shoot each other less :p.

My $2 of biblically long advice.

I have the H233H and the backlight bleed isn't bad compared to the other cheap TN monitors I have seen. that being said it is still annoying and pisses me off in some dark scenes. it gives it a bluish tint at the bottom of the screen that completely ruins parts of Amnesia:The Dark Descent. I actually got fed up enough in that game to break out the crt for some nice bleed free true blacks.

Back light bleed isn't really an inherent characteristic of a display, it is more of a defect in manufacturing.

If you are talking more along the lines of black levels, you'd need to get a VA type monitor or TV.

Yes, but it seems like he's asking for a less "defective" monitor, or something better at least, hence my suggestion of going ips or pva. Yes, some will say that's stupid, and I also agree that CRT is the best for colors and light bleed, but that technology has its limitations, too..mostly in weight, power consumption, and heat, along with requiring a higher refresh rate to ward off eye strain. I used a dual 19" 1600x1200 CRT setup for years before switching to LCD last year, and then quickly switched to IPS...I have not looked back since.

After returning 2 px2370,horrible bleeding,now i have a nec EA222WMe .
No backlight bleed at all,i rly love this monitor for gaming.

After returning 2 px2370,horrible bleeding,now i have a nec EA222WMe .
No backlight bleed at all,i rly love this monitor for gaming.
NO backlight bleeding? I find it hard to believe that there is no backlight bleeding at all on any lcd.

Yes, but it seems like he's asking for a less "defective" monitor, or something better at least, hence my suggestion of going ips or pva. Yes, some will say that's stupid, and I also agree that CRT is the best for colors and light bleed, but that technology has its limitations, too..mostly in weight, power consumption, and heat, along with requiring a higher refresh rate to ward off eye strain. I used a dual 19" 1600x1200 CRT setup for years before switching to LCD last year, and then quickly switched to IPS...I have not looked back since.

Going IPS or PVA will not really lessen back light bleed. Most back light bleed issues from what I understand are due to defects in how the monitor is fitted together (mostly to do with the bezel or back light).

If you are however talking more along the lines of black levels, then yes a PVA type screen will have much deeper blacks typically. An IPS screen can range from slightly better compared to the typical TN to much worse.

There is probably manufacturing quality variance among different manufacturers and product lines, but with the limited data available you cannot simply draw conclusions if a few people say they have had bad Samsungs, or Acers, or whatever.

The only generalization I think you can make is monitors using edge lit systems and/or stronger back lights are probably more prone to this defect.

The NEC EA2311/Dell U2311h/Viewsonic VP models share the same panel and appear to have the worst quality control for any current monitor if you read any thread on [H].

The only way to avoid backlight bleed really is by purchasing an older S-PVA (Dell 2408 Rev 2/Samsung 2x5t series) screen or getting a C-PVA Eizo EV2333W which has a very deep black level and decent response time. It comes at a premium of 600$ though, but has picture quality is only really rivaled by the best TV's.
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-eizo-ev2333wh-bk.html

Op you should check out the Acer G245H which I reivewed. Both units I purchased had neglible bleed compared to monitors like the Samsung PX2370 and LG W2361v. Check out my comparison:

http://wecravegames.com/forums/gadg...timate-Gaming-Panel-Comparison-x9=#post173571

Being an Acer model may put you off as could the Glossy Screen which is prone to reflections. Video Review Here if you are interested but worried about the Glossy Screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOMelLxIKI

Last edited:
First off, I want to say thanks for everyone's great feedback.
That is one of the things I love about the [H].

I ended getting a Samsung XL2370-1 locally.
There is still a little bleed, but I really have to look for it.
All in all I am quite pleased, and ultimately thats all lthat matters ;)

Based on NCX's suggestions, I tried not one, but two different Acer 243h monitors,
(while they were on sale at Staples for $199).

Both of them had very bad backlight bleed, and I do mean very bad.
If I had found one without major bleed problems then I would have kept it.
It looks like one helluva monitor for the price.

Last edited:
Back