Gaming moments you want back..best of the best..

Firing up the Dreamcast for the first time with the gloriousness that was Sonic Adventure. I was completely blown away by how amazing the graphics and gameplay was. I played that game until my eyes burned. Also on the Dreamcast, playing Resident Evil: Code Veronica was amazing. Graphics, story, many memorable scenes in that game. To this day I maintain that that is the best Resident Evil game.

I fired up my dreamcast and played a game called Blue Stinger......Which gave me motion sickness and I threw up all over myself and the controller before I noticed I had motion sickness.

Then I was like maybe its just that game and picked up Sonic Adventure and an hour later had a repeat spew.

These turned out to be the only games that made me sick and as luck would have it were my first 2 games. But once Phantasy Star Online came out I almost dropped out of college and by dropped I mean Kicked.

Man, so many great memories!

Beating Golden Axe with my cousins after playing all night
Staying up late and freaking ourselves out playing RE2
Beating super Mario 3 for the first time in college after leaving the nintendo on for 3 days
Batlefield, Mech Warrior 2, Delta Force all at lan parties a the local university, great fucking times.
8v8 Halo matches of CTF on Blood Gulch against a bunch of shit talking kids from another highschool, we destroyed them and took home $400 that we won on various bets. Pistol 2 shot and camping with shotguns, so awesome.
Diablo 2 games with 3 friends in a basement until 5am, so much pizza and Mtn Dew consumed.
Medieval on the PS1 with my neighbor while his parents watched like it was a movie..
I can just go on all night, i'll call it there. ...

wait.... SimCity 2K, so many memories of building sick cities, then unleashing hordes of UFOs

Hate to say it but had some good memories from WoW vanilla.

-First Ragnaros kill at 4am after getting fire resistance buff from UBRS for server first race.
-World pvp battles between Southshore and Tauren Mill.
-Double Rogue battles (with friend) against 5+ of the original Chinese gold farmer rogues in Tyr's Hand.

SC Brood War

-Backstabbing record boosters in 7v1 comp stomps.

1984 Staying up all night at my friends house when they got an Atari. Asteroids and Pac Man FTW!

1989: Playing Metroid on the NES and the first time I killed the mother brain. Playing through Legend of Zelda the first time.

1995: SNES: F-Zero, Filter's Short Bus in the CD player and a little herbal influence. Metal Warriors for NES ate up a lot of time too.

1998: 4 player Goldeneye MP in our barracks hallway. Mortal Combat also.

1999: Final Fantasy 7. Wanting to gut Sephiroth with a rusty axe.

2001: UT99, giant maps, low grav, bin slayer rifles and custom skins. Once you start down the UT path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Runner up: Quake 3 Arena

2003: First COD, fighting my way into the buildings and bashing prone snipers in Pavlov. Trapping the opposing team's spawn in the ruins on Carentan and then showering them with nades. Being in a clan with two of the top 10 ranked servers at the time.

2004: First time playing through HL2. I stayed up all night then called stick into work to keep playing.
Also, First time playing Doom 3.
At night.
With the lights off.

2005 and up: BF2. First game I ever bought on release day. Slaughtering people on the ground with a squad of friends in the Blackhawk. (before they nerfed it) SAK infantry only servers. Robert Reed's House Of Aids Jalalabad server.

Haven't really had anything particularly memorable since then. Plenty of fun games, but nothing like the above.

Quake was the hook for me, there's others, some much earlier but Quake 1 on my Matrox Card really rocked my world.

Diablo reintroduced me to computer gaming in 1996. I was working at a little start up company and we had a blast jumping online e with Battle.net every night from 10pm until 2 or 3 in the morning, dragging our tired asses into work the next day, pumping up on caffeine and B-12 supplements to get through the day and then logging back into Battle.net to repeat the cycle all over again.

Other memorable gaming moments...

Being overwhelmed in wonder by Deus Ex and Half-Life, the emotional impact of Dreamfall and Oblivion, the opening video of Quake 2 and the nuclear detonation scene in COD4 rank among my favorite gaming experiences. Far too many more to to list.

Long live computer gaming!

I would like to see No One Lives Forever make a comeback...

Chasing a mime on a tricycle with a scottsman? Check
Fighting Ninja girls in a mobile home in the middle of a tornado? Check
Fighting a fat, terrible, opera singer?

I fired up my dreamcast and played a game called Blue Stinger......Which gave me motion sickness and I threw up all over myself and the controller before I noticed I had motion sickness.

Then I was like maybe its just that game and picked up Sonic Adventure and an hour later had a repeat spew.

These turned out to be the only games that made me sick and as luck would have it were my first 2 games. But once Phantasy Star Online came out I almost dropped out of college and by dropped I mean Kicked.

I really liked blue stinger but yeah like 90% of dreamcast spew this disclaimer all over the screen that its going to give you epilepsy and a heart attack. After doing my first super move on Skies of arcadia I believed it. I was like " AHH WTF IS HAPPENING TO MY SCREEN???" Then I woke up later foam coming out of my mouth.

B-17 Flying Fortress - The Mighty 8th - remember spending a long time trying to figure out how to drop bombs on targets and getting my cheap joystick to work. Pure joy when I finally got everything done on my own. This game got me interested in flight simulators.
!

man I thought I was the only one that loved this game. I remember playing that game all the time, then getting a soundcard and hearing how freaking loud it was flying over flak with max channels. The crash physics in that game where phenomenal.

Watching Sonic 1 on the Sega Genesis for the first as a 5 year and being completely shock at the graphics lol

Half-life 1 A.I couldn't believe how smart it was (silly me) :p

Playing Starcraft 1 on a 56k modem online, lets just say i skip school for an entire month. That's how addicted I got :D

EQ -

Finishing my Vex Thal key.

Doing the Cursed Cycle with 4 people.

Figuring out my first BAK riddle chest.

Deafeating the Beast of 1000 eyes in Wiz 7. (reportedly unbeatable for a long time)

Seeing a PacMan game for the first time in like 1980 and going “huh? I don’t get it – too complicated!”
Finding out who Exodus was in Ultima 3
Becoming the Avatar in Ultima 4
Punching someone completely out of the ring so they flew off screen in NES Ring King
First time I fired up Quake 1 with a 3dfx Voodoo 1 card
Hearing “I’m going to rip your head off and shit down your neck” but not really paying attention to it, only to see Duke actually do it after a boss fight.
Half Life 2 Ravenholm, & Half Life 2 seeing a “strider”
Having my Wookie companion kill their lifelong friend in KotoR
Killing 5 at once with Zues playing Dota

killing 15 people in cs in round in a 30 person server by rushing.

that was an awesome moment

Original Half-Life Deathmatch. Used to play with co-workers on Friday night until the early AM hours. Even made a couple of my own custom maps for it. I just don't have the motivation to get that excited about a game anymore.

I really liked blue stinger but yeah like 90% of dreamcast spew this disclaimer all over the screen that its going to give you epilepsy and a heart attack. After doing my first super move on Skies of arcadia I believed it. I was like " AHH WTF IS HAPPENING TO MY SCREEN???" Then I woke up later foam coming out of my mouth.

Exact reason I haven't even played a 3DS. Dreamcast jacked me up so its quite likely the 3Ds will as well.

playing super mario world on snes and beating all the levels. I must have been like 8-9 or so.
Then star fox, stunt race fx etc..

Playing redbaron on this old 486 we had , I learned about computers on it because we always had to do some tweaks when we wanted to play games on it.. then aces of the pacific. As well as Doom.

Deus Ex, interstate 76, half life, playing gran turismo 1 on playstation, I took my playstation to 1 of my middle school classes on the last day of school and whooped everybody who was driving a viper or whatever fast car with a honda civic lol. Resident evil 2 was epic , and so as FFVII.

Unreal tournament with friends. Grappling hook mod + low gravity + facing worlds

Half life deathmatch in that killbox map, just madness.

Final Fantasy 7 when you first leave midgar after spending hours roaming. Suddenly the world is alot bigger.

Playing team fortress classic for the first time.

Counterstrike - seeing that lovely headshot icon appear next to the douchebags' name who was trying to one shot you with the AWP/AWM when you are shooting the desert eagle.

My friend and I taking turns to fight your shadow at the end of Zelda II The Adventure of Link.

Here's a moment. First time launching doom in my local PC lab with MULTI PC & MONITORS! A computer with multiple monitors was unheard of then. Was the first time I've had a "wide-screen" game. It was just so awesome to see your left and right side. Having groups of people gathering behind you just to watch in awe at playing with a game with 3 computers/monitors and asking just how was that possible. :p

Now... haha.. it's completely common.

2 Words.

Ultima Online. (pre T2A)

Full plate mail and grandmaster mage? Yes please! Shooting heavy crossbows and like 3 shotting people? PK here I come!

I simply have to repeat it... Ultima Online.

There may have been some rough patches when the game was first released, but the memories I have from that game are just too unique.

Ocarina of time. I was as giddy as a school girl when it came out and loved every minute of it. Haven't felt that way since.

I simply have to repeat it... Ultima Online.

There may have been some rough patches when the game was first released, but the memories I have from that game are just too unique.

Exactly why it got my vote earlier. I really wish a game would try to repeat the open world style of UO.

Being able to play games for hours on end. Seriously, I play a game for about 30 minutes, maybe 2 hours at max and I have to find something else to do. DAMN YOU ADD!!!!!

Playing Mechwarrior back in the 1988-89 and using a locust to knee cap heavy and assault mech.
Playing Mechwarrior 2 on Kali and trying to predict where i actually have to shoot due to lag.
Playing Space quest games and seeing how many ways you could possibly die.
Playing Flashback and Out of This World and just being blown away by how cool the music and the game play was.
Playing the first Wolfenstien and trying to find all the hidden rooms.
Playing Duke Nukem 3D versus a friend on dial up on the spinning disk map
Trying to capture the aliens in X-com and avoiding the chrystalis alien by flying.
The one more turn syndrome Civ 1 and when you created the kill stacks.
Replaying Master of Magic over and over again, a game that still has no equal.

I'm showing my age, aren't I....

Explaining Fallout to my girlfriend and her not getting it :) She just turned around and went to sleep.
Playing Fear, and trying to figure out what was going on.
Playing Half-life 2 and controlling the ant lions.
Playing my first CS 1.4 game
Playing sword of the stars for the first time and thinking that MOO finally has a sequel.
Playing FreeSpace 2 and flying next to some of the giant ships not believing how big they were.
Amassing a monstrous fleet in Homeworld, so big that it could not be drawn.

Too many of these games were played from dusk to dawn, where at dawn, it was time to sleep.
I think I can end here...

Man, so many great memories!

Beating Golden Axe with my cousins after playing all night
On only 3 continues that you were allowed on the PC!

Exactly why it got my vote earlier. I really wish a game would try to repeat the open world style of UO.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I simply have to share my fondest UO memory...

My guild had a small house that was right to the left of the sign post at the Britain crossroads (I'm sure all UO vets know where I'm talking about). For fun we would make the house private, unlock the door, place a few vendors inside and change the house sign to make it look like that of a shop. About 6-8 of us would hide inside the house and wait for an unsuspecting person to come inside. Since the door was unlocked, they could come in, but since the house was private, they would be flagged and we would kill them without penalty. We would do this for hours.

It seemed like we had quite the following with GMs too. They would never intervene, because we weren't breaking the rules of the game. But fairly often, there would be tiles either inside the house or just outside the house that we couldn't walk over and we knew they were watching the shenanigans.

God I'd love to be able to relive moments like that...

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I simply have to share my fondest UO memory...

My guild had a small house that was right to the left of the sign post at the Britain crossroads (I'm sure all UO vets know where I'm talking about). For fun we would make the house private, unlock the door, place a few vendors inside and change the house sign to make it look like that of a shop. About 6-8 of us would hide inside the house and wait for an unsuspecting person to come inside. Since the door was unlocked, they could come in, but since the house was private, they would be flagged and we would kill them without penalty. We would do this for hours.

It seemed like we had quite the following with GMs too. They would never intervene, because we weren't breaking the rules of the game. But fairly often, there would be tiles either inside the house or just outside the house that we couldn't walk over and we knew they were watching the shenanigans.

God I'd love to be able to relive moments like that...

wow so there was an mmo with an actual open and dynamic world? and it's really old no less? /sigh at current gaming direction

wow so there was an mmo with an actual open and dynamic world? and it's really old no less? /sigh at current gaming direction

Hopefully people will start to realize these "WoW clones" aren't working. Not that I care much, 6-7years in EQ was enough MMO for me.

What I hope is that we stop turning every strategy/RPG/adventure game into an FPS. I like FPS when I'm in to mood for it, but it doesn't work for every game.

I want my Quake moments back
I want my Unreal moments back
I want my Wolfenstein moments back

but mostly I want game developers to stop making games these days

Off the top of my head...?

Must agree with Ultima Online, definitely.

Other than that, the first time I played Silent Hill, Resident Evil II & III, DOOM, DOOM II and Diablo II, especially.

Extremely fond memories of excellent games that really left their mark on me.

Toe Jam and Earl is one of the greatest 2 player split screen games ever. Spent much of my childhood playing that game with friends.

Quake 2 was the best multiplayer game ever with all the kickazz mods like Lithium, Rune and Chaos Deathmatch, that is until UT 1999 came along with insane carnage and voice commands that let you talk smack after a frag like; "You Suck", "And Stay Down", "That's Gotta Hurt" and "Next". UT 2004 was better but they took away my 7 projectile rocket launcher. I would stay up knowing I'd have to be at work in the morning, fooling myself that I could get by on a couple hours of sleep.

I want the first time I DFAed a Direwolf while piloting a Storm Crow back.

This actually wasn't impressive. The best memorable part was in Unreal 2003 in some custom mod server with voice commands. You bring the console down and type "manamana" and it will start playing the song. "lol" "rofl" "headshot" "owned" "wwe" "therock" "scarface" "catz" etc.... all had funny shit recorded from popular films, music, comedy, it was so well done. And the admins would never give the full list of commands. On top of that they renewed it each week with more funny voice overs. Also if a player got a Monster Kill you had your own selected theme playing to piss other people off......that was the shit!

Single best moment? The part of the original Half-Life where you come out on the surface, and the Marines are there in the helicopters and they all fast-rope down and start attacking you. Just an amazing sequence for that day and age.

I find the following old skool games the best:

1) Tie Fighter Collector's CD

2) Ultima IV Quest of the Avatar

3) The original DOOM I & II

4) Bard's Tale I & II

Back