Gaming Mice

agrindinger

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
150
I am looking for a new gaming mouse. I have and love my G5 but after playing a while my hand cramps up because the mouse is much smaller than my hand. Does any one have any suggestions on good mice that are like the G5 but can be used by people with larger hands. Yes I tried the G9 but that thing isnt much bigger than the G5.

Thx
 
MS ΙntellimouseΕxplorer 3.0 @ 250hz or higher / Razer Deathadder with 1.28VDC firmware
 
If you're looking for a larger mouse, give the DeathAdder a feel. Might fit better.

Or the Sidewinder. It's huge, and might work for you.
 
Take a look at Microsoft's Sidewinder X8. It replaced my Logitech G7 (which is the same size as the G5) and the Sidewinder X8 is bigger than the G7 and G9 (don't have a G9 but have played with one in stores) so that should be what you're looking for. Others say the X8 is a bit too big. I've got a bit bigger than average hands (long fingers) and the X8 is very comfortable to me, equal to the G7 IMHO. The only issue with the X8 that I've experienced personally is that it doesn't work well on cloth mouse pads (it is a known issue) which isn't that big of a deal to me.

If you have any questions about the X8 let me know and good mouse hunting!
 
I would give the Microsoft Sidewinder a try, in my experience it is bigger than the G5 (i own and use both) while keeping most of the quality and features (removable weight, adjustable DPI settings).
 
I would give the Microsoft Sidewinder a try, in my experience it is bigger than the G5 (i own and use both) while keeping most of the quality and features (removable weight, adjustable DPI settings).

Do you mean the Sidewinder X8 as I suggested?
 
MX1100, people say it's not a gaming mouse but i don't see why tha hell it's not... got almost the same DPI so w/e. Give it a try at your local store.
 
Honestly, I love my DeathAdder. But keep in mind it´s only good for right-handed folks.
 
when it comes to gaming mice you have 3 serious choices. They are all optical, and they all perform a lot better than overpriced gimmicky 5000dpi laser mice.

1. mx518
2. ie 3.0
3. deathadder

and POSSIBLY the steelseries ikari optical.

pick one and profit.
 
Went from a G5 to a DeathAdder.

Gotta love it. With the G5.. I found my hands to ache after a while, especially in FPS games. No more with the DeathAdder.

RatzPad XT + Razer DeathAdder FTW!
 
I'm using a G9 here. I've had this mouse since the day they were released. Probably the longest I've ever used any mouse. No plans on changing any time soon.
 
I'm using a G9 here. I've had this mouse since the day they were released. Probably the longest I've ever used any mouse. No plans on changing any time soon.

I would have gotten this mouse if there were a wireless version. I just don't do wired mice anymore.
 
I went from an MX700 to the sidewinder X8, and I find the sidewinder less comfortable to use. Its a little bigger but not much. The rubberized sides and contour of the logitech fit my hand much better. If I had to do it again I'd probably get a G7 and call it good.
 
I went from an MX700 to the sidewinder X8, and I find the sidewinder less comfortable to use. Its a little bigger but not much. The rubberized sides and contour of the logitech fit my hand much better. If I had to do it again I'd probably get a G7 and call it good.

Yes, I still like the G7 (I have three though one is the original design that wasn't rubberized and not nearly as nice because) and I agree with you on the rubberized sides and contour of the G7 are great.

The X8 however has grown on me and I overall I like it it more than the G7. The back and forward button placement on the X8 are the thing that I like most about this mouse, no need to move your thumb, that to me more than makes up for the G7's better feel in hand IMHO as keeping the thumb stationary is a BIG deal to me.
 
when it comes to gaming mice you have 3 serious choices. They are all optical, and they all perform a lot better than overpriced gimmicky 5000dpi laser mice.

1. mx518
2. ie 3.0
3. deathadder

and POSSIBLY the steelseries ikari optical.

pick one and profit.

I have the Steelseries Ikari Laser and and I really love it. As far as comfort goes, it really shines. I used to be an optical fanboy, but this mouse made me a believer.

If you consider an Ikari, make sure you read up on them. I have read some negative things about the Optical version.... make sure read up on both. Here is my pseudo "review" (there are some good links to reviews): http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1336518&highlight=ikari
 
I would have gotten this mouse if there were a wireless version. I just don't do wired mice anymore.

The only wireless mouse I've ever tried that was worth a shit for gaming is the Logitech G7. Everything else I've found noticable lag with.
 
The only wireless mouse I've ever tried that was worth a shit for gaming is the Logitech G7. Everything else I've found noticable lag with.

The G7 was my main mouse before the X8 and the X8 is lag free as well.
 
I heart my MX518 - Been using it since Newegg first listed it years ago.
 
Here is another vote for the Steelseries Ikari optical. Tried it at the last Quakecon, bought it and haven't looked back.
 
G5/G7/G9 and the Sidewinder are all good

Razers feel like pieces of shit. I can't believe you guys spend 100 bucks on one that feels like a cheap piece of plastic.
 
Anyone have anything to say on the G7? I'm debating on getting one to use with my laptop since it's pretty much the only high dpi wireless mouse that doesn't have a honking huge receiver (I'm looking at you Razer and Microsoft!). But I'm kinda worried about traveling with a proprietary battery like that.
 
I heart my MX518 - Been using it since Newegg first listed it years ago.

Same here. I have decently large hands and I've never had cramping problems even after 10+ hour gaming sessions.
 
If you insist on wireless the new Mamba from Razer if very much like the Lachesis with a decent DPI bump to about 5,600 DPI I believe, and has no problem with 1000hz over wireless, it's an expensive SOB though, still about £100 in UK online stores, probably close to $200 USD
 
mamba ? i think it still has problems http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,8243.0/ http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,8204.0/ http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,8259.0/
most hardcore gamers use their mice at 500hz/2ms polling rate, they can't use a wireless sidewinder at stock 125hz/8ms it will feel laggy to them no matter what, heck even a $7 MS wheel mouse optical 1.1 can poll up to 1000ms/1ms with no problems
 
Whichever mouse you are considering, do your best to demo it at a store if possible. When I was shopping, I tried a few and ruled them out because I thought they were uncomfortable (the Sidewinder seemed really weird to me; the Lachesis didn't seem ergonomic because it's symmetrical). Trying them out really makes a difference.

BTW - on the Ikari Optical, the problem I mentioned before is lift-off distance on certain surfaces. This seemed to be the major complaint I saw in interviews.
 
mamba ? i think it still has problems http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,8243.0/ http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,8204.0/ http://razerblueprints.net/index.php/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99/topic,8259.0/
most hardcore gamers use their mice at 500hz/2ms polling rate, they can't use a wireless sidewinder at stock 125hz/8ms it will feel laggy to them no matter what, heck even a $7 MS wheel mouse optical 1.1 can poll up to 1000ms/1ms with no problems

The date on the post in the link is March 25, 2009. Since then Razer has released firmware and driver updates that have resolved the issue described in the link plus others. I just got one yesterday and installed the latest driver and firmware updates. I am still getting used to it, but so far I like it.
 
ooh... I've been away on a trip for 3 months and Razer releases a no-drift firmware update for the DeathAdder!

I should try that out when/if I ever go home... someday :(

Deathadder is pretty good, but somehow my hand feels like it needs more to grasp (and my hands are average-sized).

I like the button placement of the x8 - I should give that a try later.
 
Here's what you do: go to Best Buy, buy them, try them, return the ones you don't like. Their return policy is so lax that it's basically like a 30 day at-home trial with no risk whatsoever as long as you can keep track of a receipt.

The mouse thing is completely subjective. Make a choice between the G5, G9, Death Adder, Lachesis and Copperhead/Diamondback and that's pretty much it.
 
I've never even heard of the X8.

EDIT: I take it back, I've seen those. Its ugly and I can't stand the ergonomics.

I can see where you're coming from. Coming from a Logitech G7 the X8 felt awkward at first but over time I've grown to kind of like it. The main thing about this mouse as I've said before are the location, shape and position of the thumb buttons so that you never have to move your thumb to press the buttons, that is very innovative IMHO.
 
Anyone have anything to say on the G7? I'm debating on getting one to use with my laptop since it's pretty much the only high dpi wireless mouse that doesn't have a honking huge receiver (I'm looking at you Razer and Microsoft!). But I'm kinda worried about traveling with a proprietary battery like that.

I've to date bought three G7 mice. The first one I bought was the fully slick plastic body that didn't have the rubberized grip. As far as the pointer performance charactersics of this mouse, this mouse is identical to other two I bought with rubberized grips, but slick plastic lacks the grip and comfort of the rubberized model.

The G7 is a great mouse. The biggest problem with is is the lack of second thumb button, kind of stupid that they never uppgraded the G7 with two of these buttons like they did with the G5. Looks like the upprade should been able to be applied to both models at the same time.
 
I've to date bought three G7 mice. The first one I bought was the fully slick plastic body that didn't have the rubberized grip. As far as the pointer performance charactersics of this mouse, this mouse is identical to other two I bought with rubberized grips, but slick plastic lacks the grip and comfort of the rubberized model.

The G7 is a great mouse. The biggest problem with is is the lack of second thumb button, kind of stupid that they never uppgraded the G7 with two of these buttons like they did with the G5. Looks like the upprade should been able to be applied to both models at the same time.

Agreed. I'd also take some more weight for better battery life. The battery life is fairly weak on the G7. It always seems like I've got the battery going dead at the worst times. Hence why this is no longer on my gaming machine.
 
I went from G5 to Lachesis, and it took some time to get used to it, but now i would not go back. For FPS type of game Lachasis responsiveness is better for me.
 
If you insist on wireless the new Mamba from Razer if very much like the Lachesis with a decent DPI bump to about 5,600 DPI I believe, and has no problem with 1000hz over wireless, it's an expensive SOB though, still about £100 in UK online stores, probably close to $200 USD

Forget the DPI, I want the Mamba for those delicious aux buttons next to mouse 1. I've always wanted buttons like those for aux functions, secondary fire, etc, and of course now we get it...on a $100+ mouse. :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top