• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

gaming/light room build.

Switching from IDE to AHCI isn't that huge a deal under Windows 7. (a few registry edits apparently)

Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, considering you're on an Ivy Bridge platform, I'd do it while it's still free. Although I would do a clean format once upgraded and install native Win10 drivers etc.

(I'm on the original i5 platform, so any drivers besides Win7 are wishful thinking)

So, I'd upgrade to Win10, then format and set AHCI in the BIOS before you do so.


Quick question... how far from being able to use an oculus rift on my build am I? I updated the ram to 32 gigs. Still running windows 7 for now.
 
Quick question... how far from being able to use an oculus rift on my build am I? I updated the ram to 32 gigs. Still running windows 7 for now.

I'm not sure if you grabbed the 960 recommended earlier in the thread or if you stuck with your 6850, but either way you'll need to upgrade your GPU if you want to use a VR headset. If you have the 960, it will work for some titles, but it's below the minimum spec. The 960 is good enough to find out if you actually like the idea of VR or not, but not enough to get a feel for how most titles are supposed to be experienced. If you still have the 6850, you will need to upgrade before trying VR. The good news is that this is a great time to be looking at buying a new video card. No matter what your budget is, there are new parts being released that are VR ready.
 
I have the 960, and my ram is at 16 gb now instead of the 8 I had before. I don't know how well my cpu will hold up over time and I'm not sure how much further my build can be upgraded.
 
Back
Top