Gaming LCD 24"+ Help me decide

I think most of the people who have the LG are very satisfied with it. At least that's the impression I get from reading the whole LG thread here at HardForum.

It might make good sense to go to your local Best Buy and check it out, making sure it's running in native resolution.

In the end, I think you'll be happy with either of the monitors (LG or Soyo).

As for Roach's comment...no one in here said the text was as sharp as a TN panel...but the consensus is clear on TN panels. I happen to like the large viewing angle and no color shifting on my LG.

For the people who've already ordered the LG...Set that thing to its native resolution, set the mode to sRGB, and then calibrate it through your video card's control panel. You'll be happy, I promise :)

CNET UK had this to say in their review of the LG:
"The fact it's 'Full HD', HDCP-ready and has awesome picture quality makes this one of the best 24-inch widescreen monitors on the market."

pretty much sums it up... The review can be found here: REVIEW

lol a cnet review, those reviews are like, "WE PLUGGED THE POWER CORD IN AND IT WORKED, THEREFORE WE GIVE IT A 10!!!"

Roach, as you've seen by comments from others, you've done well at proving yourself irrelevant in this particular monitor discussion, by not only calling people morons (not once, but TWICE mind you), but stating false claims about the LG.

And yet again, you treck further into the realm of inanity by your last comment. And at least speaking for myself, I'm wildly confused by the your confrontational attitude and your apparent disdain towards the LG. The least you could do is actually state some facts and try to help the others in here trying to decide between monitors.

Quite comical man...

Now, as has already been stated NUMEROUS times, you can't really go wrong with the Soyo or the LG. You may also want to check out the BenQ or the Dell 2407 (However, I hear there's ghosting issues with this one).

To the OP: Hopefully we've helped you narrow it down A LITTLE. Your best bet is to try to check out the monitors in person if you really can't decide. If things like the stand, USB ports, or HDMI are important to you, skip the Soyo, as the stand is VERY cheap and only offers minor vertical tilt adjustments and nothing else in terms of adjusting monitor height, portrait mode, etc...There are no USB ports, and the monitor doesn't offer HDMI. It's a no-frills LCD (But, do YOU need those frills??). Otherwise, you can see that most here are happy with the Soyo as well as the LG.

We can't decide for you, so hopefully you've figured out a budget and what the most important features are to you.

I'm surprised at the level of bickering and immaturity in this thread, all over what? LCD preference? I've read every post and feel I've gotten no solid info on a good 24" gaming monitor.. what a shame :(

Techx, I'm not quite sure what you want. Most of us have already gone through the pros and cons of the major 24" monitors out there.

That's about all we can do on this board. If you want more information, you'll have to go see the monitors in person.

The bickering only comes when someone makes sweeping generalizations and sinks to personal attacks on board members.

The "bickering" happens because there are those of us who feel it is an injustice to the members of this community to allow false information to be spread...ESPECIALLY when someone is about to go drop $300-$600 on a new monitor.

If what you're searching for are pictures and 20+ pages on a certain monitor, there are threads dedicated SOLELY to these 24" monitors.

I was quite happy with my LG when I had it, so that's why I'm going to buy it again. One big question I ask is: Are there any monitors at the same level as the LG with better blacks?
That was the only thing slightly lacking in the monitor.

I just got my LG a few days ago and I love it. I haven't experienced any ghosting in games and the colors look great imo. I love having the extra space for apps and the new res has even inspired me to go back to playing some games I haven't played in a while like Oblivion. I also haven't had any problems with it being stuck in power save mode. Coming from a 19", this thing seems gigantic.

L245WP-BN blurry text.

I have LG L245WP-BN and i have problem with text.(blurry text) (Not sharp)(webb and office..) Games and pictures are ok.
and of course eyesight makes a difference glasses etc ....

monitor Product date: May 2007 poland

This monitor is made as a compromise and its made for
a wide weraity of users. we all want a perfect monitor but this
is not it, Its good at a lot of things and at a nice price.
The FP241W seems to have the same problem.. (same panel)

Then i buy a new monitor i always read tests and look at forums
to get an ide of that im beying. We have prisjakt.se in sweden
and there is 3 posts about L245WP-BN (the screan sems
unsharp.) if you use it for gaming/movies i guess its ok.. but not for work. ( Its my opinion / it can be broken but if many people says the same..... )

Dell has 2407WFP-HC on sale at a price that i like and it uses a different panel so im temted. http://tftcentral.co.uk/ not problem free but text should be sharper.

Tested it on 8800gts and a 2900xt / fx5900 / dvi+hdmi and
( xp / Vista )
Looks better in XP. more options in display setting (you can set text sharpnes in xp but in vista the toolbar is grayed out.
Have tested ClearType and bigger fonts but the unclearnes is still noticeable. tested diffrent HDMI-DVI cables)
calibrated SRGB.

I use my comp for Photoshop/design/ Text-networking-activedirectory. Gaming types (Medal of Honor / Bioshock / CS /..

I have this weak to exshange L245WP, i bought the last ex in the store so i cant get another one. I can probably get a new but then my exchange period is gone.

So my option is at this price point:

Dell 2407WFP-HC

I need better text sharpnes and some potential for gaming =)

Regards Daniel...
Sweden

WTF? Is this copy and paste from an article or something?

Anyway, if this is about you, I am sorry for your problems, but I (and other LG users) haven't experienced any such problem. Apart from the cockroach or something. You are running the display at its native resolution, right? Also, have you installed the drivers for the monitor?

I don't know about that Dell monitor.

If you can't "fix" the LG then of course get something else.

Yea, I'm not sure how you're getting blurry text, unless it's a bad monitor. I'm still within the return period on my LG L246WP-BN and trust me, if it had blurry text, it'd be back on the shelf right now.

I'm sorry for your issue, but I assure you this monitor is NOT made as a comprimise.

Maybe Sweden got all the bad ones? lol

Like the previous poster stated, I hope you were running the LCD in it's native 1920x1200 resolution.

Hope you get your problem solved!

Thanks.. Rittia / Bluemak

Native resolution = Yes
Drivers for the monitor = Yes

Gaming monitor: LG L245WP-BN

For gaming = O yes
Movie = O yes
Text = O No =))

I expected more from LG L245WP, for my purposes text sharpness is a must. (at this price)
i been using a 22 crt /and a 19 crt .. my first tft was
NEC 20WGX2.

as you said.. (You and other LG users dont have these problems)
But if i say the text is not as sharp as it could be. am i correct ??
perhaps its a p-mva problem ..For some people have problems with
this screen. For gaming.. as i said its good and the pictures have vivid colors.

but as a working monitor its disturbs me alot..
There is a rev at sweclockers.se and they say
its not as sharp as it shud be.. i read posts on the net conserning FP241W and ( for text use look elsewhere) so i guess its the panel.

Its possible that the screen coting and the bright white that makes the text unsharp. And text structure. it can also be a bad shipment.. or my eyes .. i see dual lg 24 at the moment..
calibrated to long i guess ..

monitor Product date: May 2007 poland

Regards.. Daniel

I'm not sure...wish I could do something more to help you.

I have pretty much perfect vision and if the text on my monitor got any sharper, I'm not sure I'd really notice it.

It's not as sharp as a TN monitor no...but in reality, it's slightly irrelevant, as the difference won't be noticeable to most people.

My guess is that you either get bad units or that you have some super sensitivity that we don't have. I use Opera and I am online for many hours each day. If I had a problem with the text, I would know. Have you tried changing the font that you use?

But yes, if nothing works, and it is not just this unit, then get some other monitor. Get what works best for your eyes.

I bought the HP w2408 just for gaming and I think the thing is sick. I'm not nearly as educated as some of the folks here, but I know first impressions and this next to the Dell was an easy choice. Im sure its because I love the glossy 24" screen vs. non. I'm not telling anyone to go out and by it over the Dell, I love them both and I think you will be happy with either, I'm just sayin I wanted a 24" monitor just for gaming and I ended up with the HP and couldn't be happier. I think I might be alone here though, as I have not seen to many threads here talkin just about this HP monitor, but if you or anyone has questions, I'll do my best!;)

Back