Gaming Laptop

xenph_xenos

Limp Gawd
Haven't been on in a long time... just got out of boot camp and currently at my A School. I was thinking about getting a new gaming laptop however, not sure what to get. A buddy of mine just bought one of them Gateway P171S FX Edition laptops.

Now I'm not sure if i want to go with the Alienware m15x, m9750, or a dell m1730.

Now my price range is around 3k... so tell me what you guys think.:D

go with a sager built on clevo. you can (almost) get an NP9262 with SLI 8800 M GTX's in it for ~3k.

stay away from alienware, youll pay much more for less quality.

Yeah I would have to second the Sager idea. They are solid notebooks, very nice. You could also go with an Asus or Velocity MIcro.

1 vote for the m9750. I have the m9700, and I love it. They are nearing being replaced with the m17x, so the price is good. RAID 0, SLI, and at least 2GB of RAM can be had for your price range.

I just picked up a Dell M1530 and after a little maintenance (Crap removal) it's a pretty good gaming machine. The 8600M GT is by no means cutting edge (At least where desktops are concerned) but it works surprising well in a laptop i.e. LOTRO, Quake Wars - Enemy Territory, Team Fortress 2 so far all run great at High to Very High Settings.

Good Luck

Screw Alienware as they will have EXTREMELY bad resell value. Stick with a Dell XPS M1730 or maybe even the Gateway one.

I am selling my M15X, which had everything maxed, so if ur interested let me know ..

why would alienware have a worse resell value than any other notebook? especially Dell, considering they own alienware.

as for sager... hope nothing goes wrong with your notebook, or else good luck ever getting anything done through customer service

This Gateway laptop got a lot of attention recently:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651167&type=product&id=1195599780039

Review: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4208

It was on sale a few weeks ago for $1250 + you could choose a free PC game up to $50. You could probably take a look at it in-store at your local Best Buy (I was at my local Best Buy a few days ago and they had it on display).

I haven't been keeping up with gaming laptops, but if you can pick one up for around $1300, it still seems like a deal (granted, you could get 2.5 of these for your price range).

There was a long thread posted somewhere on the forums a while back about this laptop. I think the main complaint was that the CPU is on the lower end for a gaming laptop.

I think some other folks here have made good suggestions that are worth investigating if you are looking at a Laptop that is SLI capable with 8800 series mobile GPUs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651167&type=product&id=1195599780039

It was on sale a few weeks ago for $1250 + you could choose a free PC game up to $50. You could probably take a look at it in-store at your local Best Buy (I was at my local Best Buy a few days ago and they had it on display).

I haven't been keeping up with gaming laptops, but if you can pick one up for around $1300, it still seems like a deal (granted, you could get 2.5 of these for your price range).

There was a long thread posted somewhere on the forums a while back about this laptop. I think the main complaint was that the CPU is on the lower end for a gaming laptop.

I think some other folks here have made good suggestions that are worth investigating if you are looking at a Laptop that is SLI capable with 8800 series mobile GPUs.

Wow, diamond in the rough.

Thanks, you just solved my daughters' situation, regarding schooling vs. gaming laptop!

Thanks!

Yeah, I found out about it when someone posted it in the Hot Deals thread (there are one or two threads regarding this laptop floating around on the forums here).

Many companies pushing gaming laptops are still using 7950m, 8600m or 8700m based GPUs, and the ones which do have the 8800m series GPUs are priced quite high.

I wanted to get one myself, but it is out of my price range :(.

that's close but not the model of the gateway he's talking about, the newer P-171 series have 2.4ghz core 2 duo and 8800, so ya, can't go wrong with that

Many companies pushing gaming laptops are still using 7950m, 8600m or 8700m based GPUs, and the ones which do have the 8800m series GPUs are priced quite high.
The 7950GTX Go is still a very good GPU. It definitely annihilates the 8600 and 8700.

Tho yeah, my 8800M GTX-equipped Sager 5793 is insane. It's also pretty loud unfortunately.

that's close but not the model of the gateway he's talking about, the newer P-171 series have 2.4ghz core 2 duo and 8800, so ya, can't go wrong with that

Yes, I was reading about that series on the Gateway website. The cheapest FX series notebook on there is ~$1600, but I think it has a faster CPU among other things. Also, the one I link is posted on the website under "Retail Notebooks" here (I originally did not see it on their website):

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667881.php

@SuperSubZero:

Thanks for the info; It's good to know how the new mobile GPUs stack up against the older ones (since they are sometimes not in line with their desktop counterparts).

Just an FYI: The P-6831FX is (back) on sale at Best Buy for anyone who is interested. It's $100 off the regular price.

Yes, I was reading about that series on the Gateway website. The cheapest FX series notebook on there is ~$1600, but I think it has a faster CPU among other things. Also, the one I link is posted on the website under "Retail Notebooks" here (I originally did not see it on their website):

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667881.php

@SuperSubZero:

Thanks for the info; It's good to know how the new mobile GPUs stack up against the older ones (since they are sometimes not in line with their desktop counterparts).

very tempting, I'm going to sell my laptop within a few days and I'll have around 1800 to spend on a laptop. I'm just wondering if I should get this gateway, or should i wait a bit and get something real nice. I'd love to play crysis and the witcher on better settings than what im on right now. Opinions on what I should do with my money?

very tempting, I'm going to sell my laptop within a few days and I'll have around 1800 to spend on a laptop. I'm just wondering if I should get this gateway, or should i wait a bit and get something real nice. I'd love to play crysis and the witcher on better settings than what im on right now. Opinions on what I should do with my money?

if u wanna play Crysis, get a desktop. You can get a pretty good desktop PC with 1800 bux. Laptops are nice, but when it comes to gaming desktops are way superior. Plus it's not like ur gonna carry ur laptop around much other than around ur house if you're looking for a gaming laptop that's going to be so big.

Im in the navy and desktop doesn't seem like the right way to go. And the whole topic of this thread is for a gaming laptop, not a desktop.

Im in the navy and desktop doesn't seem like the right way to go. And the whole topic of this thread is for a gaming laptop, not a desktop.

I'm just saying, if you want to play Crysis at a decent setting/fps, gaming laptops just don't cut it. Most people buy gaming laptops as a desktop replace in their home, not to carry a 10 pound brick around while traveling.

Just an FYI: The P-6831FX is (back) on sale at Best Buy for anyone who is interested. It's $100 off the regular price.

Yup, my daughter and I both purchased one last night. The both have the 1.8Ghz cpu as well.

Excellent lappy for the $$$.

Thanks again!

Yup, my daughter and I both purchased one last night. The both have the 1.8Ghz cpu as well.

Excellent lappy for the $$$.

Thanks again!

Confirmed here as well, my father and I both picked one up from bbuy yesterday, and we both received the 1.8ghz proc as well. Just a side note the shipping labels on the box indicate when the store got them, ours were march 13/ 14th so if youre looking into one of these you may want to verify that prior to buying it if you want the 1.8 :)

I vote for the gateway as well, if processor is critical buy a higher end socket p proc off ebay with the money youll save and youll now have a notebook on par with 3k models.

When AMD puma starts rolling out this quarter (Late Q2?) The hybrid crossfire feature is supposed to crossfire an onboard DX10 GPU with an external card.

We'll soon see if DX10 games are viable on this laptop, I'm holding out for it.

Back