Gaming laptop - Alienware M15x?

pcgeek86

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a semi-portable gaming laptop to take on the go with me, in addition to my Dell Latitude E6400, which is my work laptop.

Is there any reason, other than cost, that I should not consider the Alienware M15x? I know it's expensive, but from what I can tell, it looks like a sweet gaming machine.

Convince me not to buy one, or that there's something better? :)

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=216215

Something better.

Also if you have EPP there is a 10% sale on Alienware.......which is REALLY good right now for a M15x. I was considering getting one w/ the base i7, 500gb, 4gb, blu-ray, for only $1700 with discount.

If you ever see the Alienware in store - GUARANTEED you will buy it asap. It is the sexiest laptop ever. No joke. The Sager might be faster because of the 280M, but the Alienware is dead sexy - especially with the edge to edge screen.

P.S - wait till after Jan. 7th when CES will be over - new mobile processors and GPU's will be announced. Unless you have the 10% (which ends Dec. 31) there is no reason to purchase a retail M15x right now.

I have a 15% off coupon that a friend at Dell e-mailed to me, so that's why I was thinking about buying before Dec 31st.

It sure would be nice if they offered the GTX 280m though.

I have a 15% off coupon that a friend at Dell e-mailed to me, so that's why I was thinking about buying before Dec 31st.

It sure would be nice if they offered the GTX 280m though.

Not a huge difference there , and in the future you can always upgrade when better gpu's come out

Do NOT get this laptop before reading this thread....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=439546

My own M15X has this very problem. It may not seem too bad, but keep in mind that people playing Assassin's Creed, City of Villains, Borderlands and Crysis have been experiencing the throttling.

It wouldn't be so bad if Dell wasn't being an asshat, denying the problem and fabricating lies to dissuade our attempts at proving the issue and getting a solution.

Aside from this issue, my M15X is absolutely fantastic in every way. I am very very happy with the build quality, the screen, the speed and the price (had lots of Black Friday discounts). Just wish Dell wasn't being so inept at handling this throttling thing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the thread about performance. That looks a little scary, but I know some folks at Dell, and if I had any major issues, I think they'd be able to help me out.

@HisSvt76, how would I upgrade the video card? What options would be available in the future? Where can cards be purchased from? I'm not great with laptop hardware.

Upgrading the video card isn't always an option, because the video card might or might not work because of the BIOS.

If you were to buy an upgraded card, finding it will be extremely hard and expensive because most of the time you can't even find new cards, you can only find lesser cards that people eBay through tear downs of upgrades.

I would squarely throw the video upgrade idea out of the picture, CPU upgrades on the other hand - easy as pie.

If you know any folks at Dell, please try to clue them into this issue for us :p They keep blowing smoke up our ass about this being normal behavior...

I have it and I love it. I got mine with 10% off, Mini 10v for $99.00 and a Mamba mouse. Same set up as yours for $2000.00. The Sager's really aren't cheaper because if you buy through Exoticpc you will have to pay extra for an OS. Exotic does give you their extended warranty for free though.

Back