"gaming" keyboard

There's more to gaming than FPS, you know. Try playing a sim that uses every key on the board several times over, with CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT modifiers (and combinations of mod keys for really complicated sims). Especially in night missions where any light in the room makes it impossible to see the enemy before it's too late.

I do know. I was playing simulations before I was playing FPS. I still don't look at they keyboard. I also don't turn the lights all off. If you have a problem seeing adjust the brightness, contrast, or gamma. I also doubt everyone buying lighted keyboards are playing simulations.

If you have a problem seeing adjust the brightness, contrast, or gamma.
Turning up the brightness to change an intentionally dark scenario is a bitch move. Yes, it's really supposed to be that dark. Now waggle your e-penis about your uber touch-typing skills some more, I wasn't impressed enough the first time.

That's what I keep reading about it - so was wary of it from the start...and a touch pad for media controls seems....while cool...it seems non-functional; I'd prefer to have a tactile response of a button, or more preferrably, a dial.

I'll give razer credit, they made the keyboard LOOK good from all the pictures I have seen...but looks aren't what I care about. :)

Saying it's only got looks because of lack of tactile feedback on media controls is a bit of a stretch, the keyboard is fantastic to use, I think saying it's only got looks is just way off.

Unfortunately like a lot of razers products, it suffers from bad quality control and silly little bugs, mines been fine (in fact none of my razer products have ever had any major problems and i've owned like 6 of their mice) but my brother got a bad one recently so...

I picked up a Lycosa Mirror last week, and so far I regret not getting the standard version.

I really should have read up some more before I purchased - especially since my decision to get the Mirror version was that is was $5 cheaper. The Mirror version has NO grip/rubber - not even on the keys or palm rest. If your hands even sweat a little the keyboard is slick.

BTW, I picked up a Sidewinder x6 for my wife and I have to say I'm impressed. Great keyboard - and cheap too.

Saying it's only got looks because of lack of tactile feedback on media controls is a bit of a stretch, the keyboard is fantastic to use, I think saying it's only got looks is just way off.

Unfortunately like a lot of razers products, it suffers from bad quality control and silly little bugs, mines been fine (in fact none of my razer products have ever had any major problems and i've owned like 6 of their mice) but my brother got a bad one recently so...

When it is unreliable, that means it is useless to me, and just a paperweight, hence my comment.

If you got the cash, newly released Logitech G19 is about as hardcore as you can get.

I had no use for the LCD on the G15...not like I need a color LCD. :)

How exactly do you use the G13? Do you use it instead of the asdw keys?

Yes, I mostly play lotro these days so for profile1 (blue) I have WASD plus lots of other non attack commands (bringing up various panels for inventory, crafting, etc), then profile2 (red) I have WASD plus all of my attack buttons, with shift, ctrl, and alt at the bottom for key combos to hit other spells and attacks... I could use macros for those but I would have to spill over into a new profile and I found it was easier to keep all attacks on one profile. The G13 has just enough keys to make it all work.. plus most new games have build in profiles for the device.. the new FEAR demo even had one.. the layout was pretty well thought through also.. i didn't need to change anything.

EDIT: this is obviously not an item anyone needs, but it's nice so I can keep my typing kb on a tray under the desk and I have a lot of open desktop space now.. which I like.

There's more to gaming than FPS, you know. Try playing a sim that uses every key on the board several times over, with CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT modifiers (and combinations of mod keys for really complicated sims). Especially in night missions where any light in the room makes it impossible to see the enemy before it's too late.

Eventually you should be able to learn were all the keys are, all 104 or whatever, without seeing them. The F and J keys have a little bump on them. So when your hands touch the keyboard, the two index fingers should immediately find those two keys. And from there you shouldn't have any problem finding any key once you learn which finger goes to which key and where it needs to go to find that key.

I tell you, that typing class in high school is probably the ONLY thing I still remember from high school. :)

Back on topic... My favorite keyboard is the Saitek Eclipse II. I like full sized keys, that is a big reason why I haven't been able to get into some of these newer keyboards. I also use a Belkin n52TE on the side, so I don't require extra programmable keys on my keyboard. In fact the more narrow the keyboard, the better for me, since I have an n52TE on one side and a mouse on the other.

The Logitech G13 device looks pretty cool. But my n52TE is still pretty new, so probably don't need to replace it yet. :)

I personally do have all of the keyboards mentioned in the OP. My first was the Logitech G15, the left shift broke so i decided to get the Lycosa next (as i thought the G15 was a bit big). It is true that the keys are not bright enough during the day, they aren't that bad, but let me just say that the "&" was never to be seen unless you leaned forward to see it (that is to give you an idea of the lack of brightness). The tactile response on the Lycosa was fantastic, the keys were made of a nice rubbery-like material, although they were close to laptop keys in that they weren't very tall (personal preference though). Lastly, the Lycosa got messy VEEEEERRRYY easily!! I cannot stress that enough, if you have this one, KEEP FOOD AWAY from it, unless you want to spend forever cleaning it.Then, on an impulse, i asked for the Cyborg for Christmas (and got it). I love the fact that you can change the colors, there is: Green, Yellow, Light Orange, Dark Orange, and Red (which is a tad more than what they mention, I believe). The only real negatives are that the WASD, space, and Up-Down-Left-Right arrow keys are coated with a shiny metallic coating that, after a while of gaming, get a tad slippery. The only other downside that is enough of one to mention is that the software for the macro keys is VERY hard to use, but once you get the hang of it it will really come in handy. Another, quite handy function is that when in "Cyborg" mode the Windows key is disabled, HOO-RAY for clumsy gamers.

Summary:
Logitech: pretty nice if you ever use the macros and LCD.
Lycosa: Sleek, slim, rubbery keys, not that bright though. Do NOT use if you eat at your desk.
Cyborg: pretty colors, a lot better looking in person that it does on the cover of the box, ability to change colors of different sectors on the keyboard (google it), disabled windows key in "cyborg" mode, shiny keys are a bit slippery (but not too bad).

It all really depends on your personal preference, I really like the Cyborg, mainly because there is some part of me that really goes A.D.D. for bright and shiny, but i just wish they had blue LEDs so you could get any color in the spectrum.

Happy hunting for your favorite keyboard!:D

What about a game pad like the Cyber Snipa Game Pad or the Zboard Fang alongside a regular keyboard?

I used to own the Logitech G keyboards, but when I went with my new Saitek Eclipse2 I never looked back.

If you are breaking keyboards you might need something like the Das Keyboard which has more of a professional build quality.

Just got my Saitek Eclipse II back in Dec and I really like it. I rather dig the back light and media keys. This plus my Logitech MX518 will likely be my combo for a long time to come.

I picked up a Razer Arctosa, my friend liked it so much he bought one for himself.

I'd stay away from gaming keyboards if you eat or drink at the computer. I spilled on my g11 once in just the corner on it. Now the windows key won't work. The water was not even on this desk, it was on one next to it. Somehow I swung my arm from the left to the right flinging the cup a foot then onto the keyboard.

So, now having used the X6 for a few days...it still feels a little odd to me (I'm a little prone to typos still) but the FEEL of the keys...I really do like. Its less mushy than most, less stiff than the G15, and in some ways more laptop like. Tactile feedback is also good. Good enough, that I may consider giving one to my Dad, who always: a.) uses a KB in a dark area and types by sight (he's old, give him a break :p) and b.) likes more tactile feedback (he misses his old IBM keyboard.)

I'll take pictures if you guys want them. But overall, I'm happy with it. Its lack of elevation is fine...and it does look odd with its two huge knobs (but matches my Sidewinder Mouse.)

Thanks for all the input!

My 1st Saitek lasted for a good while, almost 3 years I think, then it just freaking crapped out in the middle of playing WoW and made my computer lock up and freeze. Weirdest ass thing. Now have Saitek 2 and keeping my fingers crossed.

neweclipse.jpg

My 1st Saitek lasted for a good while, almost 3 years I think, then it just freaking crapped out in the middle of playing WoW and made my computer lock up and freeze. Weirdest ass thing. Now have Saitek 2 and keeping my fingers crossed.

neweclipse.jpg

My bro had a Eclipse 1 - crapped out in <2 years. I popped it open and found the traces on the plastic layers were burning up (much like one of my older logitechs did.)

Turning up the brightness to change an intentionally dark scenario is a bitch move. Yes, it's really supposed to be that dark. Now waggle your e-penis about your uber touch-typing skills some more, I wasn't impressed enough the first time.

umm no!

You adjust the monitor for the conditions in which it will be viewed!

That means with the lights on or off. Sunlight etc. So if you play with the lights on and you monitor has profile settings. You adjust the contrast, brightness and color temprature with the LIGHTS TURNED ON.

Take it from someone that calibrates monitors professionally. The calibration is done too the environment, :)

So, now having used the X6 for a few days...it still feels a little odd to me (I'm a little prone to typos still) but the FEEL of the keys...I really do like. Its less mushy than most, less stiff than the G15, and in some ways more laptop like. Tactile feedback is also good. Good enough, that I may consider giving one to my Dad, who always: a.) uses a KB in a dark area and types by sight (he's old, give him a break :p) and b.) likes more tactile feedback (he misses his old IBM keyboard.)

I'll take pictures if you guys want them. But overall, I'm happy with it. Its lack of elevation is fine...and it does look odd with its two huge knobs (but matches my Sidewinder Mouse.)

Thanks for all the input!

Yeah, I went from a gen 2 G15 the orange on to the X6. While I kind of miss the game panel, its like you said, its all about the feel of the keys,

I've seen a lot of complaints about simultaneous keypress problems (third key ignored) in the Newegg reviews for the Sidewinder x6. Have you guys run into that?

I've seen a lot of complaints about simultaneous keypress problems (third key ignored) in the Newegg reviews for the Sidewinder x6. Have you guys run into that?

Haven't run it with COD5 yet, so I'll try that (crouch + move forward + reload should be a good test.)

....Great? Having a backlit keyboard is incredibly useful while using a computer in the dark.

On topic, I'm currently using the Eclipse II. Its pretty nice, but should have bought the G15 because the keys are so much quieter.

Yeah its useful for someone who does not know where the keys are. I guess you missed my point though.

Yeah play plenty of sims and still have no problem.

Played a lot of games on the X6 and have not had one problem with it but honestly I don't remember any three key combos I've used either.

Played a lot of games on the X6 and have not had one problem with it but honestly I don't remember any three key combos I've used either.

W + A + R in COD5 works fine. Found no issues with it. People on newegg either have bad KBs, are are clueless idiots. Sadly, I usually find the latter to be true. Buy the stuff rated 2 stars, avoid anything with 5 stars. Sigh.

huh, the key combinations listed on Newegg don't actually work. I didn't notice since I'm using the numpad macro'd to different keys. Ctrl+any WASD+R doesn't work.

fyi, it's called N-key rollover. yeah, it shouldn't be an issue with most modern gaming keyboards... but ymmv..

huh, the key combinations listed on Newegg don't actually work. I didn't notice since I'm using the numpad macro'd to different keys. Ctrl+any WASD+R doesn't work.

So yeah, moving forward while crouching and trying to reload = no reload. Going to pass on that one I think... Thanks for confirming!

So yeah, moving forward while crouching and trying to reload = no reload. Going to pass on that one I think... Thanks for confirming!

I'll try again with the ctrl key, but I was doing a 3 key combo and it worked fine - but I was in COD5 which has ctrl bound to prone by default - so I was doing W + A + R (or V, for melee)

And, wait a second. Ctrl Alt Del - 3 key combo right there, and it works. Might be different than Ctrl + 2 different alpha/numeric keys.

I'll try again with the ctrl key, but I was doing a 3 key combo and it worked fine - but I was in COD5 which has ctrl bound to prone by default - so I was doing W + A + R (or V, for melee)

And, wait a second. Ctrl Alt Del - 3 key combo right there, and it works. Might be different than Ctrl + 2 different alpha/numeric keys.

ctrl + w + r does not work...they got their matrix wrong it seems. Sigh.

Back