Gaming Issue

dadi38

Limp Gawd
Hi all. Long time since I posted, but I'm having an issue with some of my Steam games. Mainly it is Skyrim Special Edition. I start a new game, and during the initial opening wagon run, my PC will shut down and restart. I've noticed it does the same thing with Bioshock Remastered, but strangely not Bioshock or my regular Skyrim game. Dishonered plays beautifully. I am kind of at a loss as I've done about everything I can think of to resolve this. Strangely, with Skyrim on High settings, it won't last long, but on Ultra, it lasts longer. My Rig:

Win 10
ASRock Z87 Extreme 3
32 gig Ram
Core I5 4670K
GTX 770 4 GB
2 SSD
1 SATA
Phantek TC 12DX CPU Cooler
Corsair GS700

What I've done so far;

Complete wipe of drive and reinstall of Windows 10
Verified files of game in Steam
Checked memory with MemTest
Checked drive for errors
Ran Afterburner: InGame Cpu holding at 45 C, GPU steady at 63 C

All updated drivers, thoughts?

I was just testing with OCCT and it crashed almost immediately with the graphics and psu test. So, yes, most likely PSU. Upsetting cause this rig is only a couple years old. I don't have another to test, but have been getting random crashes for a few weeks now, hence the reinstall. Looking at EVGA PSUs, any good?

I was just testing with OCCT and it crashed almost immediately with the graphics and psu test. So, yes, most likely PSU. Upsetting cause this rig is only a couple years old. I don't have another to test, but have been getting random crashes for a few weeks now, hence the reinstall. Looking at EVGA PSUs, any good?
ah shitty!
some are some aren't, depends on who built the guts. id look at the [H] psu reviews and maybe ask in the psu section.

Been playing around with it, and if I hold the framerate at 60, it won't crash. If I let it go, it heats up to about 69, then crashes. I know it's an older card, but it's always handled everything so far beautifully. 69c should not be too much right? Is this still a power supply issue?

It might not be the GPU causing the crash.
The video memory might be too fast (ie damaged) or running too hot.
The VRMs might be overheating.

Or it could be PSU.

Blow a house fan directly at the gfx card and turn the gfx cards fan to near max.
If this helps it is most likely a heat issue. If you can then overclock it a bit and remain stable, it is not a PSU problem.
If the fan doesnt help, its most likely a PSU issue.

If it's only 2 years old you may want to look into the warranty. If it's no longer under warranty, EVGA works great, I've used them in a couple of rigs and never had an issue. I personally prefer Corsair, I'm a bit of a corsair fan because of their service and build quality. I have a CS750m PSU that has survived years of overclocking, gaming,...even a house fire....thing is still running no problem.

Years ago I had an issue like this with Vampire the Masquerade. My PC would crash when climbing some stairs in a certain area every single time. There was nothing I could do to pass it. I could never find anything about it anywhere. What eventually fixed it was a firmware update for my motherboard of all things.
You'd be shocked what little things can cause issues.

I had this issue when running The Witcher and Titan Quest with my GTX Titan X, older DX9 games that should not cause any issues. Turned out the new card exposed a loose heatsink on the motherboard VRM, causing them to skyrocket past 90C and causing the shutdown. Reseating the heatsink brought them down to 60C or under while gaming and eliminated the shutdown problem.
If it's only 2 years old you may want to look into the warranty. If it's no longer under warranty, EVGA works great, I've used them in a couple of rigs and never had an issue. I personally prefer Corsair, I'm a bit of a corsair fan because of their service and build quality. I have a CS750m PSU that has survived years of overclocking, gaming,...even a house fire....thing is still running no problem.
Indeed. A good PSU should last 10-15 years.

There is a very big difference between Skyrim and Skyrim SE. Namely, you can Alt-Tab properly in the newer games. Look into exactly what is different that allows this feature to work properly in the newer software, then chase down and update/patch that software because I think that's what is related to what your problem is.

I wish I could look it up for you but I am still at work and such websites that typically have this info are blocked, government network.

Update, I pulled the plug on an EVGA 850 G2. Got a 9.9 on JonnyGuru, and problem solved. No restarts and everything is running beautifully. Thanks all.

Back